SF - 1 Day

Apr 24th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

SF - 1 Day

I have a free day in SF (at the end of a business trip). The only places I have been in CA are LA and San Diego...if you had one day in SF, what would you do?
Apr 24th, 2006, 01:31 PM

It all depends on what YOU would like to do. SF has a lot to offer.

Are you into museums? Do you want to see a prison - Alcatraz? Do you like to dine - or do you prefer a juicy hamburger? Do you want to walk across the Golden Gate Bridge or drive across? etc. etc.

I'd suggest taking a half day bus tour of the city to give you a quickie idea of the city. Then spend the rest of the afternoon and evening doing what you are interested in doing.

Come back and give us some more ideas of your interests.
Apr 25th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Since I only have one day, I wanted to NOT do museums (which I typically spend a lot of time in) because I wanted more an overview of SF in general... My first idea was to take the bus tour, then go to Pier 39, but now everything I've read about Pier 39 is very negative - so I'm thinking of avoiding it.

Also - I'm 7 months pregnant, so can't really do a lot of walking, as far as walking the streets for a day, which I probably would do otherwise.
Apr 25th, 2006, 09:10 AM

I like the idea of a driving/car/minivan tour if you are not going to be able to walk a lot.

I recommend 1) North of the city near the GG bridge, Presidio area, Fort Point, and the like. Chestnut St. area in the Marina is pleasant.
2) Embarcadero area--walk along a ways if you can (it's flat).
3) I agree Pier 39 is carnival-ish and not "real San Francisco" -- some nice views. On that topic, consider going out on the bay & seeing SF from the water if it's a nice day (bring a jacket in any case)
Ghirardelli square also has shops etc. but I find the building attractive and the area more pleasant than Pier 39.
4) You could swing through Chinatown and North Beach together; for ambience/SF flavor, stop at one of the coffee houses in North Beach, and if you're interested stop by City Lights books, locus of Beat movement activities.

Consider an architectural driving tour as well--through Victorian home areas, the Mission (Dolores), and some other gems.

Just some quick thoughts from a native! It really depends on your interests. I agree, though, that as good as the museums are (new DeYoung, Museum of Modern Art) for one day I'd concentrate on seeing the city.
Apr 25th, 2006, 10:10 AM

>>Ghirardelli square also has shops etc.<<

annw

Have you been there recently?? When we were in that area late last year to visit the Maritime Museum, we took a walk through Ghirardelli and we were amazed. Most all the shops we use to visit over the past 30 years were gone - replaced by offices, or vacant storefronts. The T-shirt stores seem to have spread to Ghirardelli also. The stores "underground" at the north end were still there (T-shirs also), but about all the shops above the ground & mezzanine level were gone (offices there now). Many of the mezzanine shops were vacated and for rent. There was a very nice architecture bookstore there for many years - and it's location was vacant. There were not many people there. The Ghirardelli chocolate consession had also taken over one of the shops that use to be something else - don't know why they would need two location in the same complex.

We also walked through the Cannery, and to a lesser degree the same thing has happened there - fewer retail shops & more offices.

Stu Dudley
Apr 25th, 2006, 10:15 AM

I would definately check out Chinatown and eat at a restaurant or dim sum cafe there....then go right nearby to Northbeach and maybe have an espresso or panini at the little steps of rome (sp?) restaurant. If you can find the Bocce cafe on Green street, I think, it is a wonderful bargain and the pasta is hot and fresh and plentiful, the bread warm, and the vinegar and oil to dip your bread in very classy---you can have a great dinner for under 12 bucks!

I would say to then head down to Union Square for all the shopping opportunities, or the infamous wharf...many locals do not go to the wharf.....but it is nice to visit if one has never been there before.

Maybe a stroll in Golden Gate Park?

And the mission district has a lot of soul and flavor as well,...but maybe not as many sights to see...perhaps you could find a mural tour? I hear those are fun.

Apr 25th, 2006, 10:17 AM

I'd say make some time for an Irish Coffee (or a couple more) at the Buena Vista!!!
Apr 25th, 2006, 11:06 AM

I would definite do a half day bus tour of the city, then maybe the ferry over to Sausalito
Apr 25th, 2006, 11:38 AM

Because you are 7 months pregnant and walking all day would be difficult I would do the half day bus tour of the city. This way you can see the areas you find most interesting and get back to them later in the afternoon.

My favorites are Chinatown earlier when the locals are shopping and you hear mostly chinese. Allot of shopping and bakeries or little restaurants. Try a bean cake or cookie. Also I always have to stop at the fortune cookie factory on Jackson Alley. I could spend all day in Chinatown.

Then I love North Beach. Right next door to Chinatown. There's an Italian ceramics shop on Columbus, I love. I also like Cafe Greco for coffee and dessert. Plus City Lights Bookstore. This is my favorite breakfast area. Also my favorite restaurant in all of SF is here; l'Osteria del Forno.

Lastly I like walking through the commercial shopping area of the Marina District for neat little shops. I think it's Chestnut street. There are also eateries and coffee shops with great seating.

Bus no. 30 will take you through any or all of these. You can catch it to get from Chinatown/North Beach to Marina.

Not that I necessarily eat my way across SF, but since you are pregnant you may want to find little places to get a beverage and get off your feet. These areas will have plenty to choose from.

The above are my must-do's everytime I'm in SF

I also love going to either Coit Tower or Twin Peaks, but that could be included in the bus tour and should be done when there's no fog.

The Ferry Building is interesting if you are a foodie.

Enjoy! It's my favorite city.