Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best Neighborhoods in Which To Wander in SF?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2005, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone - I am trying to plan my 3 day itinerary in San Francisco in July (actually 2 1/2 since by the time I arrive I probably won't get started sight seeing until 12-1PM or so). The more I research SF, the more I realize that I wish I had more time!! There seem to be so many wonderful areas and simply not enough time to see them all. That said, any time I plan a trip to a major city, I usually find that my favorite days are spent just wandering around cool neighborhoods of interest. So I definitely plan to set aside at least 1 day to do just that in SF. What are the best neighborhoods to explore in SF? Outside of the other stuff that I def plan to see in SF (Alcatraz, Coit Tower, Fisherman's Wharf, GGB etc.), I will probably only have 1 free day to just wander. Not sure how many neighborhoods I could explore in that amt of time, but if you had to choose a couple, what would they be? To give you an idea of my interests, I live in NYC so I'm definitely used to big cities. I love quaint little neighborhoods with cool architecture, unique shops & restaurants. I like to "get lost" in windy streets with interesting scenery and surprises around every bend (gardens, unique architecture, etc.). My favorite neighborhood here is the West Village if any of you have been.

I also really enjoy the outdoors so was planning to spend some time at the Golden Gate Park or Golden Gate National Recreation Area. I know these are located in different areas - what is the difference btwn them? Also, if you had to choose 1 to see, which would it be?? Thanks everyone!! I can't say it enough - I wish I had more time to stay in SF, but I have to work with 2 1/2 - 3 days. If any of you have any other suggestions for a good 3 day itinerary, lay them on me!! Thanks again! - Laura
Old May 26th, 2005, 08:14 AM

I'll start with North Beach. This is the Italian part of the city. You can wander about and see many of the things you mention. You can start with a coffee at Cafe Trieste and hit the ground running. Please do include a stop at City Lights Bookstore,St Peter and Paul Church (its interior will amaze you)wander around Upper Grant Street and venture up the Filbert steps. Check out Coit Tower. Check out The Bohemian Cigar store for a good sandwich and more coffee. You can venture down to the waterfront or across Broadway into Chinatown.

The architecture here is "new" by NYC standards.

Do a search on this forum for SF and particularly SF "a day in" or not tourist stuff and you will find some great recommendations from local folks on how to spend a day.

Re:GG Park..you should check it out. I assume you will be on public transit. The GG National Recreation area will include some parts of the city but its best features are across the bridge in the Marin Headlands.

For another area, you might consider the Marina. There are lots of good restaurants and places to poke around. You could then walk over to Crissy Field and walk along the shorepath. The views of the GG Bridge are very upclose and amazing. I suggest A 16 for lunch while in that area. If it happens to be a Monday get the meatballs.
Old May 26th, 2005, 08:14 AM

Hi Imavolio,
I'm on your same wavelength about walking around being my favorite activity.

It's so difficut to pick just one neighborhood - it depends on your interests, the weather, your mood. I've lived in San Francisco over 40 years and am still surprised and delighted by what I see on my walks.

Let's see - if a friend of mine was on your schedule and we could take just one stroll, here's what I would consider:

The Upper Haight - Masonic and Delmar Streets south of Haight Street itself. Particularly on Masonic, you will see some grand old Victorians. Continue uphill and you'll be on the edge of Buena Vista Park.

You could combine this walk with a visit to Cole Valley. Cole Street is about 5 blocks to the west of Masonic - the intersection you'd want to head for is Cole and Carl. This is a very nice, very untouristy area with cool architecture and some terrific places to eat and have coffee.

If it were early evening, I'd take my friend to the Eos Wine Bar at Cole and Carl for a good, light meal.

I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions for other areas like North Beach, Russian Hill, Pacific Heights, the Castro, etc. Let serendipity be your guide - listen to all the suggestions and see what is most convenient for you on your free day. Enjoy, enjoy.
Old May 26th, 2005, 11:13 AM

My favorite neighborhood is where we used to live - Noe Valley. A couple of articles I've read in various publications, have called it the best neighborhood in the Bay Area.

From Downtown, take the J-Church muni metro to get there. Sit on the left side of the car (the side you board on, if you enter via one of the underground stops). This will give you a great view of downtown if as you pass through Dolores Park. Get off on 24th st. Walk west on 24th on each side of the street as far as Douglass. Lots of cafes, interesting shops, etc. Then walk south on Church to 30th st (more interesting stuff to see) and have a coffee at my favorite cafe - XO on the corner of Church & 30th. If you want to walk through some of the residentual areas, do so west of Church between about 23rd & 30th. The J-Church stops at 30th & Church if you want to return from there. You could also take the 24 Divisadero from 30th & Church down to the Castro district - you'll know it when you get there - it starts at about 19th st. You can take a Market street above ground street car back to downtown.

Or, from the Castro, you could hop back on the 24 Divisadero and visitone of our most elegant neighborhood - Pacific Heights and one of our best shopping districts - Fillmore St. Stay on the 24 Divisadero till it terminates at Jackson & Fillmore. This is the northern end of the shopping district & there are scads of restaurants, shops, etc along Fillmore until it hits Sacramento St. Walk west of Fillmore on Washington St to Alta Plaza park for some good views of the bay. There are some very nice Victorian homes in this area.

If you want to go on a guided tour of neighborheeds, take a free SF City Guides walking tour. They are sponsored by the public library. There are tours of the Haight, Pacific Heights Mansions, North Beach, Chinatown, Victorian SF, and about 30 others. See:
www.sfcityguides.org
for details & schedules.

Stu Dudley
Old May 26th, 2005, 11:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hi I was in SF a month ago for the first time. I was with husband and kids so our interests were a little different. We enjoyed the goings on of Chinatown. It is a bustling and busy place. We also liked North Beach-good food and cafes to sit outside. Sausalito is a ferry ride away and is very quaint with art galleries and shops and restaurants. There was an area that we walked around with beautiful homes and views and I don't remember the name. Sorry. Just remember to walk down hill and take a cab or trolley back up!!
Old May 26th, 2005, 12:30 PM

I topped some old threads for you on SF. They should be relatively early on in the thread listings. Enjoy!
Old May 26th, 2005, 12:34 PM

I recommend the Marina and Cow Hollow -- Chestnut Street and Union Street. You will find many small wonderful shops and restaurants on both streets and our favorite place to stay is on Chestnut -- the Cow Hollow Suites.
Old May 26th, 2005, 12:36 PM
mm

I'd like to recommend the BuckHead district. I hear it's quite safe.

mm
Old May 26th, 2005, 01:16 PM

>>>I'd like to recommend the BuckHead district. I hear it's quite safe.<<

Where is this district in San Francisco - never heard of it !!!!

Stu Dudley
Old May 27th, 2005, 04:32 AM

Being from NYC, Chestnut might be a bit boring for you, as you probably have many of the same stores, although it's a great area. If you find yourself that way, definitely check out the Palace Of Fine Arts. It's my favourite place in the city. Grab a sandwich or coffee and just go sit and enjoy the scenery for a bit...or walk around the outside. It's simply breathtaking.

I would recommend Hayes Valley. It's only about 3 blocks long, but some really cute and unique shops! Here's a website to check out. http://www.sfgate.com/traveler/guide...esvalley.shtml It might also give you some ideas on other neighbourhoods.

Noe Valley is a lot of fun too....also with unique little shops. If you head to 24th Street in Noe Valley, don't miss Savor for lunch. Great food, really cute place too!

I agree Northbeach is a lot of fun, unique stores as well, and close to downtown, so easy to get to. You can easily walk there from Union Square through Chinatown. Our Chinatown is a lot of fun too....but don't just stick to Grant Street, go up one block to Stockton Street to get a feel for the "real" chinatown.

Alcatraz is a blast! Amazing tour. Just try to get advance tickets (you can order on line) or you may be out of luck. Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39 is the least favourite place of any San Franciscian. It's worth looking at to say you've been there, just don't plan a lot of time there. Just WAY too touristy!

Chestnut Street and Fillmore Street are both a lot of fun, and where a lot of locals go. There are unique stores, great cafes, but a lot of chain stores you are probably used to. It depends on what you are looking for.

As far as cool architecture, SF is famous for that....you will find that almost anywhere you go.

SF is unique as far as cities go, as we definitely have different neighbourhoods, each with their own personality. Whatever you choose to do, I'm certain you will have a great experience!

Golden Gate Park is fun, but unless you have a car, it's a huge park and you might waste a lot of time there. I would highly recommend the Palace of Fine Arts (as I mentioned before) I think it's on Broderick and Baker....near Chestnut street. You will have the outdoors, it has a lake around it, gorgeous, stunning architecture, and a place to sit and have lunch on the lawn. http://www.nps.gov/prsf/places/palace.htm Check out this site to get a little more info.

There really isn't a bad place in SF to wander, visit and have fun. Oh, forgot to mention, when you plan to go to Coit Tower (which has amazing views) just make sure you go on a day that is clear and not foggy, otherwise, it's not worth it.

Have a fantastic time! Bring comfortable shoes....SF is a very casual city, by the way. And, LAYER! You can go from one neighbourhood to another and the temp will change 20 degrees! Just bring a light jacket, over a tank or tshirt and you will be fine.

Have fun!!!!!! Enjoy yourself!

Andiamo

Old May 27th, 2005, 06:59 AM
mm

Howdy folks.

I entered a joking response to this string and just now see that there is a 'smilie' icon which I did not include and would not even if I could.

Does anyone know how that could have happened?

Sorry for the digression.

mm
Old May 27th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!! Wonderful suggestions as always. I am definitely going to look into some of the free walking tours offered by the public library. North Beach, Noe Valley & the upper Haight all sound great. I am going to try to hit the Alamo Square area as well for postcard row (I've seen pictures of it, but nothing like the real thing!)....As always, thank you for the wonderful suggestions!! I don't know how I could plan half of these trips without my friends from Fodors!! Thanks...Laura
Old May 27th, 2005, 11:06 AM

>>I am going to try to hit the Alamo Square area as well for postcard row (I've seen pictures of it, but nothing like the real thing!)....<<

If you go on the City Guides tour of "Landmark Victorians of Alamo Sq" on July 20 - my wife is the tour guide that day. Hopefully, you will also be able to tour one of the best & most outrageous Victorian interiors. It's a private residence, and if the owner is home & not doing other things that day, he'll open up his house for a City Guides tour (he's a City Guide himself). He also has a basement full of player pianos & hurdy gurdies and always ends the visit by playing the "San Francisco, open your golden gates...." song.

A while back I posted a nice walking route in that area, where you can see many other Victorians. Do a search on "Stu Tivoli" and you might find it.

Stu Dudley

Old May 27th, 2005, 04:31 PM

Two and a half days isn't a whole lot of time for SF. Alcatraz will take half a day in itself. But you could combine a few neighborhood visits with your visits to the Coit Tower, Fisherman's Wharf, and the GG Bridge. You would probably enjoy the Filbert and Greenwich Street Stairs. These lead up from Sansome Street, to Telegraph Hill where the Coit Tower is located. They are official city streets, following the lines of these streets to the west. Very steep with views of the bay as you climb and gardens on both sides. After the Coit Tower you could just walk around North Beach, Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf, Ghirardelli Square, taking public transportation when you don't feel like walking. Go to Union Street in Cow Hollow, Fort Mason, the Presidio, and Fort Point directly under the GG Bridge. That, and maybe the Haight and Golden Gate Park, would be a pretty full "tourist day".

Noe Valley, the Castro, and maybe up through the Twin Peaks neighborhoods for the views.

Golden Gate Park is a city park, running from the Haight Ashbury neighborhood all the way to the ocean, or to the Great Highway bordering the ocean, at least. Golden Gate National Recreation Area is a huge complex of lands, including the entire beach along the Pacific side of San Francisco, as well as various former military installations like Fort Funston on the southwest corner of SF, the Presidio on the NW corner, a strip along the northern edge of SF, and the Marin Headlands and Bolinas Ridge in Marin County north of the Golden Gate. Golden Gate Park has lots of buildings; museums, etc, and lots of landscaping. Golden Gate NRA, except for the Presidio, is largely unbuilt upon.
Old May 29th, 2005, 06:37 AM

What a good post, Imavolio, and great suggestions. I,too will be going to SF and will take a copy of the replies. We plan to take several of the City Guides tours while we are there. Stu Dudley, I will be in SF from the evening of June 1 to June 8th. Will your wife be leading any of the tours that week? thanks
Old May 30th, 2005, 09:01 AM

Stu--I will be in SF from July 18 to 22--problem is a friend of ours pitches for Braves and we thought the 12:30 game on Wed. July 20 would be big fun--(he gets us great tixs)--daytime at stadium overloking water etc

Sure wish we could do Victorian tour! Time not possible I assume--?
far apart etc?
af
Old May 31st, 2005, 04:29 AM

I spent a few days in SF in April.

We stayed at The Castle Inn and LOVED the neighborhood around there. There were fabulous little shops, restaurants and cafes all around the place. It felt very "neighborhoodish" and we liked that.

We did go to Golden Gate Park and walked around. It is very pretty but VERY large. The gardens were lovely. In retropsect however, I'm not sure if I would have done that again being on such a limited amount of time.

We also did Haight Ashbury as we had some 50'ishs in our crowd. It was a cool place to see - pretty much what I expected. We only spent a few hours there and had lunch.

We didn't do Alcatraz but did do North Beach and Coit Tower. I wasn't all that blown away with Coit Tower. Yes, gorgeous views but the views right at the base were just as good as those from inside the tower.

We did the other touristy stuff such as the cable cars, Ghiradelli Square and Fisherman's Wharf. I have no desire to experience Fisherman's Wharf again. I thought it was huge tourist trap.

We also did Sausalito which was fun.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip. We loved SF and can't wait to return and explore some more.