September Road Trip: ideas for Williams and Sedona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2023, 02:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are doing a road trip in September flying into Las Vegas and out of Albuquerque. I’m starting to think about what to do at the various stopping points, so this query relates to the middle part of our trip.
I was last in Arizona about 20 years ago. It will the first time in the USA for my partner.

We are picking up the car in Las Vegas for the rest of the trip. We are staying in Williams for 2 nights, 1 night in the Grand Canyon Village and then 3 nights in Sedona before driving to New Mexico. I originally wanted to go to the Hopi reservation on this trip, but I understand that it is closed to outsiders since Covid so I have parked that idea. I’m now looking for suggestions as to what to do during our time in Williams and Sedona. I love Native American art and jewellery, so would love some tips/ ideas as to where to go, but would like some other options too, such as the Verde Canyon train trip out of Sedona. We will visit Cameron Trading post when we drive to the east entrance of the Canyon. My partner has respiratory problems so hiking is not an option.

I would appreciate some ideas about what to see/do on route to Sedona from the Canyon.
I would also really like some suggestions of where to eat in both Williams and Sedona. We would prefer to have American/New Mexican food. We’re not looking for gourmet dining this trip.

Last edited by uktravelover; Jul 3rd, 2023 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Typos
Old Jul 3rd, 2023, 03:53 AM
J62

Four wheeled jeep tours (eg "Pink Jeep") are a very popular activity in Sedona that don't require hiking but you still get to see some amazing red rock features. We're hikers so we have never done such a jeep tour. There are several companies and frequent departures so no advance purchase is required. There are also places you can drive to around the area for views of many of the red rock features that won't require any hiking. The tourist bureau in town has excellent info.

I think Williams is overrated and avoid it myself. I'd consider Flagstaff a better location for a few nights, and also like more than one night at GC village... If one night there suits you, then that's fine. If you could only book one night, then be sure to check back. The hotels in GV village get booked up a year in advance, with tour operators booking large blocks of rooms then releasing the rooms they don't need as travel dates get closer. My go-to hotel at GC village is Yavapai - run by a different concessionaire than the others (El Tover, Kachina/Thunderbird, Bright Angel, and Maswik). Yavapai is about a half mile from the rim, so may not be ideal for you.

Sept might also be a great time to take a lift up one of the mountains near Flagstaff. The views from Sandia Peak in NM where you're headed to are better, but at least one is a good activity.

If you're taking the GC RR from Williams to GCV, then be sure you know what it is you're actually getting. The terrain away from the actual GC between Williams to the GC is all flat, nondescript through a mix of forest and open area. You don't get any views of the GC - those are reserved for when you are actually right at the rim. Some people love the GC RR, others think it's the 2nd biggest tourist trap in AZ (with #1 being the Walkway...). No right or wrong, just caveat viator.
Old Jul 3rd, 2023, 08:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
While in Sedona, make a side trip to Clarkdale and visit the wonderful copper museum.

https://www.arizonacopperartmuseum.com
Old Jul 3rd, 2023, 09:40 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Sedona Dining:
Rene’s at Tlaquepaque
Dean & DeLuca
Elote Cafe
Wildflower Bread- great sandwiches
Old Jul 3rd, 2023, 10:02 AM

The Acoma pueblo is also still closed but it looks like the Zuni pueblo is open. Experience Zuni You might also consider these:

Monument Valley Tribal Park. Stunning scenery in this iconic Western landscape. “This great valley boasts sandstone masterpieces that tower at heights of 400 to 1,000 feet, framed by scenic clouds casting shadows that graciously roam the desert floor. The angle of the sun accents these graceful formations, providing scenery that is simply spellbinding.” Stay or eat at the fabulous View Hotel with its wonderful views. Two hours west is famous Antelope Canyon.

Antelope Canyon. “A magnificent slot canyon just east of Page in Northern Arizona. With tall winding walls, it’s a monumental sandstone sculpture.” Guided tours required and cost $48 per person. Some say that the tour guides act like they are herding cattle.

Vermilion Cliffs National Monument. “Known for its colorful swirls of slickrock, Vermilion Cliffs National Monument is a sherbet-colored dream world filled with fantastical rock formations like The Wave, White Pockets, and Buckskin Gulch located in an area called Coyote Buttes.” Access is limited due to its popularity.https://www.visitarizona.com/places/...-and-the-wave/

Last edited by PrairieHikerI; Jul 3rd, 2023 at 10:06 AM.
Old Jul 3rd, 2023, 10:25 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Just east of Williams is Bearizona wildlife park where you can see bears, bison, elk, pronghorn antelope and a variety of other wildlife. Part of it is drive through and the other part is a walk that is more like a zoo.
In Flagstaff you can visit the Riordan Mansion and the Lowell Observatory. Going east, make a stop in Winslow Arizona and see "the corner". On the corner you can see a statue of Glen Frey. Yes, there is a flat bed Ford parked on the corner. There is a small restaurant in an old bank building on the SW side of the corner.
Old Jul 4th, 2023, 01:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the information and tips. We chose Williams as the stopover from a driving time perspective. Originally we did look at the rail trip out of Williams to the South Rim when first planning our trip, but decided against it due to reading that the views from the train are not great.

Regarding Sedona, like the idea of a jeep excursion. Any comments about the Verde Canyon train trip out of Sedona?
Old Jul 4th, 2023, 04:45 AM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
My last trip, this exact time last year, I had stopped in Jerome AZ which is about a half hour outside of Sedona. It is a small town "ghost" mining town. It was very crowded but and was recommended by a coworker however I wanted to try two restaurants there that I had seen on TV. I got there late due to airline issues so had a late lunch and it actually rained. It was just a quick stop so you might want to look into it. Tuzigoot National Monument is also close to Jerome if you are interested in seeing a small national monument and you get a view of Jerome in the distance.
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 09:03 AM

Agree with J62’s choice of Flagstaff over Williams. Northern Arizona University has an excellent regional museum and a museum store devoted to Native American arts and crafts, https://shopmusnaz.org/collections/navajo-rugs. That said, you may want to press on to either Grand Canyon Village or Sedona, depending upon your itinerary. In Sedona, long established Garland’s for high quality Native American art and jewelry, https://www.shopgarlands.com. We never took a pink Jeep tour but my brother and sister-in-law did and liked it a lot.
Old Jul 7th, 2023, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Interesting comment about the Native American jewellery in Sedona. I remember seeing gold Native American earrings there in 1986 and still have the earrings I bought. My memories of Flagstaff date from that time and it sounds like it’s worth another visit so we will plan to spend some time there on our way from Grand Canyon Village to Sedona and visit the museum.

Sassy thanks for suggestion about going to Jerome. I vaguely remember passing through there on route to Sedona from Palm Springs, but it was getting towards the end of the day so we didn’t stop.
Old Jul 13th, 2023, 08:42 PM

Last edited by mlgb; Jul 13th, 2023 at 09:18 PM.
Old Jul 14th, 2023, 09:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Every time I see this thread, I read "Williams and Sonoma"!

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/

Hope you have a great trip. Beautiful scenery.
Old Jul 15th, 2023, 02:25 PM

So do I, I thought someone wanted to go on a factory tour or something