Semi-Long Stay Location in Florida

Nov 10th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Semi-Long Stay Location in Florida

I am looking for suggested locations in Florida for a semi-long-stay (6 weeks) in February 2011. We are: baby, mother and grandmother looking to escape a cold Canadian winter for a little over a month. We are looking for: someplace for long daily walks (like a boardwalk), basic stores/shopping within walking distance, small cafes/restaurants for lunches (dinner will likely be at "home"). Sightseeing will be once or twice a week with a car rental, so some nearby towns/parks of interest would be great.

I am not at all familiar with Florida and so would just like some pointers on possible locations that we could research for this purpose. Our biggest desire is just to have a nice place for daily walks outdoors in nicer weather than home.

Also, is there a recommendation on the best website to use to look for an accommodation rental? We're looking for a basic apartment or similar, with kitchen and two bedrooms. Baby friendly, as much as possible. We'd like to be able to walk to cafes, the boardwalk, etc. Will we run into trouble by only renting for 6 weeks - I know a lot of winter rentals might be for 2-3 months.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!!
Nov 10th, 2010, 02:20 PM

There is a big Canadian contingent in Hollywood, on the east coast of Florida. Lots of mom and pop motels with longer term rentals, a boardwalk, etc. Also would suggest you look at Lauderdale by the Sea, also in Broward county.
Nov 10th, 2010, 05:53 PM

do you like quiet or vibey? are you set on east coast or west. if west, sanibel island is a good choice. if east, miami and ft lauderdale are busy cities, hollywood a bit run down, boca raton, delray beach, south palm beach, jupiter and juno/jensen beach all might be considered as they are all on ocean. downtown west palm is just over bridge from ocean but a nice 20 minute walk. lots going on. a park on the lakefront, shopping, shops, outdoor dining. some places are more expensive than others. Vero Beach on the ocean side is lovely, small but sophisticated seaside village, gorgeous wide beach, but a 90 minute drive north from west palm airport
Nov 11th, 2010, 05:19 AM

My sister loves Ft. Myers Beach--a month or 6 weeks every year for about 40 years!
I assume you know it is high high season so your air fare will be high, as will your rental.
The west coast of Florida is lovely and has lots of what you are wanting. My folks lived in Vero long years ago, and it is a nice place. Not far from Cape canaveral for a sightseeing jaunt.
Nov 11th, 2010, 06:04 AM

What is your pricepoint for the apt/motel? That will impact the decision a lot. Are you only going to rent a car once in awhile? If so, make sure that there is public transportation near by; I think it might be tricky to stay in a place that is on the ocean and within walking distance to restaurants and shops.

6 weeks could be tricky as most prefer to rent for the entire season, but with the economy being what it is, they may be very happy to get you for that timeframe. It may be easier if it is at the beginning or end of winter, not smack in the middle, so they can still try to rent out before or after you.
Nov 11th, 2010, 06:31 AM

Anna Maria Island is pretty walkable, as are some of the other Keys in the Sarasota area.

Be aware that February is the beginning of the high season and you're going to find a lot of places already rented. Look at vrbo.com for condos/houses for rent. There is an availability calendar listed for most of the rentals (others you will need to email the owner) and once you've picked a location you can also use the "Show Availability Between" function to narrow down choices.
Nov 11th, 2010, 07:04 AM

My mother lives in South Florida on the East Coast and I find there is a definite culture difference between the East and West Coasts of Florida. The East attracts a lot of people from the Eastern seaboard of US (NY, Boston, NJ) and IMHO an older crowd as well. The West coast seems to attract a lot of Midwesterners, people from the West and a slightly younger crowd.

If I wasn't stuck visiting my mother on the East Coast, I would opt for the West Coast (Naples, Ft. Myers, Sarasota) as the people seem friendlier, more laid back, less aggressive, less pushy and more sprightly. Not as many "cap people" as my kids call them (old men wearing caps driving huge canoe cars where all you see is cap).

VRBO.com is an excellent place to start.
Nov 11th, 2010, 08:11 AM

Anna Maria would hit all or most of your requirements: daily walks on the beach, restaurants within walking distance; free trolley the length of the island; grocery store within walking or trolley distance. The only issue might be price, as you haven't specified your budget. If you Google Anna Maria Island, you'll find numerous websites. Good luck!