Florida with teens over Holiday

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband is traveling for business in December and can time his trip so we will be in Florida in Dec for a business then, pleasure trip. We want to stay near the ocean and he needs to be able to commute to Miramar, Florida near Miami. We don't want to stay in Fort Lauderdale or Miami proper. Any suggestions of a nice area near the coast?
Thanks,
Familytravlin
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 07:23 PM

You need to consider South Beach... the Doubletree Surfcomber or any similar property is right on the Ocean... near all the action and shopping for your teens, and the perfect walk everywhere that matters... the rates are usually better than the boutique hotels and its close to the high end places... good luck and have fun!
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 02:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
North-South-wise Miramar is directly between Ft Lauderdale and Miami. It's about 30 minutes from the ocean (Atlantic not Gulf). That's outside of rush hour periods.

South Beach is a great place to stay. However, he's going to have a drive from anywhere on the ocean. There are few east-west expressways that won't be clogged early and late.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 07:31 AM

I agree, you will have happy and entertained teens if you stay in South Beach.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input, I will look into South Beach. What are the best east west freeways that aren't clogged during rush hour?
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 04:07 PM

Let's start over. This isn't going to be pretty.

Miramar stretches pretty far east-west. Where in Miramar will he be?

Also, how long will his business part be and then how long will you be adding for pleasure?

Depending upon the answers, I might suggest you stay near the work area and then all of you move to South Beach after.

There really aren't any east-west expressways that will flow during rush hours. He could be driving for an hour each way.

If he only has a few days in Miramar, you could spend a complete day at Sawgrass Mills outlet mall. I'm not sure what else would be of interest in the area.

Maybe you could drive to Ft Lauderdale beach for part of the day.

I live 7 miles north of Miramar and work there, so I don't see it the same way. If I didn't live that close I'd be retired.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

I will find out exactly where in Miramar. I know he it is about 10 or so minutes from The Courtyard Marriot in Miramar, where he usually stays. He will have to work 4 days. We were planning on coming 1 or 2 days before and staying until a day or so after he works. Is there a nice place half way between? He commutes an hour to work at home and I would like him to not have such a big drive on this business trip.
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 02:28 AM

That's funny. I work right next door to that hotel. There are a couple of hotels on that street and it's pretty new.

The problem with selecting a place half way between (I assume half way between the hotel and the beach) is that you'll be in the middle of nowhere.

That area is definitely not a tourist area. Also, I assume you'll have one car and not two. Correct?

What I might be tempted to do is suggest he come down alone, the rest join him after a couple of days and then move to South Beach for 4-5 days after his work.

If you'd be using Miami airport for sure I'd stay in South Beach. If Ft Lauderdale airport I'd be temped to suggest Ft Lauderdale because it's a long drive to the airports from the opposite location. I hate flying to/from MIA. The traffic around there is miserable.

But South Beach is a lot more fun.

On the positive side. From his hotel you're near a few of my favorite restaurants.

There's a new shopping village (talk about timing to open a new mall) about 5 minutes from his hotel. Just up 145th Ave. and Hollywood. There's a Brio (Italian) and Stir Crazy (Asian kind of buffet where you select the ingrediants and they cook it in front of you).

You're right beside I75 (north-south) so going to Sawgrass Mills outlet mall is about 20 minutes away.

Anyway you look at it, going to the beach is a drive.

I guess December is a good time to get away from the cold but hotels will be expensive then.

If you and the teens golf and don't mind bringing clubs there are always golf courses nearby.

Also, I guess you could take a day trip (about 90 miles) to the west coast. I75 goes a little north and then turns directly west (become Alligator Alley) and goes right to the Gulf).

Miramar is not a tourist area and it's quite far from the beach. I really don't know what else to suggest.

Maybe somebody else can think of better ideas.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 04:03 PM

FT - having made this trip in previous years, i know that around the holidays many of the hotels near the beach require a 7 night stay - so that may help you make a decision.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 11:11 AM

I told my wife about your post. She doesn't think it's an hour to South Beach from that hotel.

I still think it's a long drive to do everyday on vacation.
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input!!!