Seeking NYC Public Transit Info

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of flying into JFK and then would need to get to midtown Manhattan, preferring to use public transit. I would appreciate any routing/fare info you can offer about how to go from JFK to a subway station and thence into that area of Manhattan. Thanks.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 07:16 PM

hopstop.com is one of several websites that will offer options depending on where in midtown you're going. Options go from $7/person for AirTrain/subway to ~$10-13/person for AirTrain/Long Island Railroad. There's an Express bus for $15/person with stops at Grand Central and Port Authority. This compares to ~ $60 for door to door service by taxi or car service ($45 plus toll and tip).
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 03:13 AM

You should be aware that the subway option can take a long - time - up to 1.5 hours, that this is a regular commuter train (and at rush hours will be packed by the time you reach the city), that the cars have no place to store luggage (hold it on your lap, but hold it at all times) and that many stations have stairs only - no elevators or escalators.

Bet choices depend upon how many of you there are , how much luggage you have and it you can schlep it up an down several flights of stairs.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 05:33 AM

Nytraveler, when people say "take public transportation" they don't necessarily mean just the subway.

From JFK, you take the Airtrain to Jamaica Station and then get onto a Long Island Railroad train into Manhattan (a total of about 40 minutes depending on train schedules). This is incredibly easy, and thousands of people do it every day, even with giant suitcases. I know the aversion some have to public transit in NYC, but this is not one of the difficult routes. The trip costs $12 to $15 depending on whether you're arriving at rush hour. The cheaper prices apply outside of rush hour and on weekends.

There are also airport buses for about the same price per person, but they take longer on average, though they will take you directly to Grand Central, which is more convenient if your hotel is on the east side of Manhattan.

From Penn Station (34th/7th Ave), you take the subway or a taxi to your hotel, wherever it is. Another $2.25 on the subway.

The Subway costs a total of $7.75 and takes double the time, so I don't think that's the best option just to save $5 to $7. But it is workable.

I've done this trip many times with and without suitcases. It's easy.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 08:09 AM

>

Indeed, I did it twice a few weeks ago. Very easy, comfortable, quick, and relatively cheap.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 08:35 AM

Doug -

I was just talking about potential issues with the subway. Air Train LIRR may make sense - or the bus to GrandCentral - dpending on how many people there are, how much luggage and how willing they are to cope with it.

IMHO for 3 or 4 people you rarely save much by not using a cab (unless you're students with one small carry-on and every $ is vital).