Sedona to Palm Springs

Search

Sedona to Palm Springs

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sedona to Palm Springs

Flying next week to Sedona for 4 nights and then driving to Palm Springs to visit friends. I'd prefer not driving more than 3 hours/day. Any suggestions for a 1 or 2 night stopover between the the 2 cities? Or should I just make the 6 hour drive without stops?
Also any suggestions for activities this time of the year in Sedona? I know it will be cold, but hopefully not so cold to interfere with some hiking. I've read about some wineries; worth a visit?
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 02:30 PM

There isn't much in between; just drive it with a nice stop for lunch in the middle.
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 02:39 PM

The shortest route is through Phoenix, which would be a decent place to stop. Except that it's less than 2 hours from Sedona to Phoenix so you would want to at least drive through the metro area and stop somewhere on the far western fringe.

The other option is a bit longer - go north from Sedona and take I-40 west, then stop over at Lake Havasu City. That is about 3.5 hours from Sedona so about halfway to Palm Springs.

Personally I would drive all the way in one day, but if you want an overnight those are a couple options to consider.
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 03:39 PM

Unless you have some special reason for the stop, I'd just go all in 1 day If you take the quickest route there's not much, even for a nice lunch after the Phoenix metro area.
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 04:31 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Any suggestions for a 1 or 2 night stopover between the the 2 cities?
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 09:09 PM

I disagree that there is nothing in between. We had lots of fun driving the very varied scenery on highway 89A from Sedona to Cottonwood and then up to historic Jerome where you should stop and look around.

Then drive a wiggly route over the hills, the views keep changing, until you get to Prescott. It's a very nice country town, with a central square park, a town where you want to stay the night and be comfortable in a no-big-deal sort of a way. Look it up, there are plenty of motels and guesthouses and restaurants and shops, a nice place.

Then keep going along highway 89 to Wickenburg where you pick up highway 60 that leads you to the Interstate 10. The total trip from Preescott to Palm Springs will be a good four hours, and much of it on the country roads with scenic views over the mountains, no rush, hardly any traffic - take it easy and it will be relaxing.
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 05:37 AM

I love the route that Michelhuebeli suggests, but it is anything but relaxing from Sedona to Wickenburg.
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 10:31 AM

"...but it is anything but relaxing from Sedona to Wickenburg...."

I wonder why? With hardly any competing traffic to worry about, with great views inviting frequent stops, driving on hilly country roads so you simply can't go fast and don't exhaust yourself - I wonder what is not relaxing about this route?

Yes, you turn the steering wheel a lot more than on the fast Interstate, and cruise control won't work mostly - is that maybe what's "anything but relaxing"?
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Another option, just realized today, is to fly from Phoenix to Palm Springs. Fares are cheap and I'll actually be saving some money with the rental car, returning the rental back to Phoenix Airport (where I'll be picking up the car 5 days prior).
So I'd drive Sedona to Phoenix, return the rental car, fly to Palm Springs, pick up another rental car, and save 4 hours of driving.
Sound reasonable?
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 03:48 PM

Sure, if the drive is not part of the fun but a hassle to you. It's a nice drive though...