Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is the most European looking city in the United States?

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 01:47 PM
curious

So, I was wondering, if I can't get to Europe, where in the US is the most European looking city? Thanks!

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Thyra

No doubt I shall be blasted for this.. but the two that come the closest IMHO are San Francisco and New Orleans. Also, I would venture a guess with Boston, which reminds me of several towns I've visited in the UK (Portsmouth comes to mind).

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Jason

San Francisco hands down IMHO.The attitude and cultural diversity are very appealing.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Susan

I throw my vote in for New Orleans. Definitely felt transformed to someplace in Europe.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Paco

Obviously NOT in the US (but not terribly far either), Montreal and Quebec City are far-more European than any city in the US. For what it's worth...

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 02:27 PM
Wendy

Can't say that anything about SF reminds me of Europe but I loved being in New Orleans for that European feel!

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 02:30 PM
xxx

Washington, with its monuments, broad avenues, and no tall buildings, looks a bit like Paris, but more spread out.

However, New Orleans FEELS like someplace other than the US -- like Amsterdam in that the scuzziest part of the city is the first place tourists want to see, and like France with the narrow streets, tiny specialty shops, and great local cuisine.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Chris

Most definitely Avalon, Catalina Island. Looks like a mediterranean coastal town.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 03:49 PM
pj

Flipside: What's the most American looking city in Europe? Frankfurt? Milan?

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Darvy

Paramus, New Jersey

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 04:48 PM
lee

Having been to Europe and all of the American cities mentioned so far, my wife and I vote for Charleston, SC.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 05:21 PM
curious

Interesting responses, I live in San Diego, so I can get to Catalina easily...one of these days (I have a two yr-old and am pregnant)

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 06:07 PM
J

Goody for you....and this is relevant because.....

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 06:10 PM
my vote

New Orleans.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 06:12 PM
xxx

There are none. Any attempt to try and compare the US to Europe is futile and pathetic.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 06:13 PM
Donna

San Francisco, Boston, New Orleans.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 08:10 PM
Julie

I'd say S.F., but haven't been to some of the other cities mentioned. One town that tries really hard to be like Germany/Austria is Leavenworth, WA. Except for the fact it's very touristy, I wouldn't really agree, but it tries. The surrounding mountains, however, are as beautiful as Bavaria and the Alps, but the town itself is just "cute".

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Jean

I would never want any US city compared to a European city. Europe is yesterdays news....The US is todays news.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 09:48 PM
MyOpinon

"European good" or "European bad"??

Good: SF
Bad: Providence, RI

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 10:43 PM
Martine

You, American take always Europe as one country. In Europe all the cities are different!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -