Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Did you have any particular spiritual experiences in Sedona?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never been to Sedona but besides crystal shops my impression is it is a "spiritual" place. In addition to sunrises and sunsets, beauty of the canyons, certain vistas and hikes, what spiritual experiences have you had in Sedona or the surrounding areas?

I would love to know about an adventure, an experience, a place to go, a gathering with a Native American, musical adventure, etc. I have no interest in anything commercialized and hokey, but when in Sedona I would like to seek out an experience of the mind and soul that would be memorable and growthful.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 08:24 AM

I experienced a higher level of ennui than I had ever known. Interesting red rock formations-but I would skip a free return trip.

Hope you enjoy your sojourn more.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 08:38 AM

Many believe that due to some unexplained magnetic phenomenon, Sedona sits at the heart of fields of magnetic flux which supposedly will enhance your spirit and make your soul do loopy things. Find a high spot and think spiritual thoughts, and you may be swept away to some magnetically induced dreamland.
Frankly, the best thing to do there is to rise before sunrise and drive up to the airport. As the sun appears, turn your back to it and enjoy the wonder of the colors on the surrounding cliffs and rock outcroppings.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 08:39 AM

Sedona is beautiful, and I would return there any time on my own dime.

However the vortex and crystal stuff has been dreamed up for the crowd for whom scenic splendor isn't enough.

If you are one who runs around the world looking for ghosts, you will love the fairy tales for sale in Sedona.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

The fairy tales in Sedona are of no interest to me. If there are experiences to be had that are different from what typically is posted on this board, I would love to know about them.

I am curious if anyone knows of any natural hot springs, and I don't mean a spa.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 09:42 AM
maj

When we were there a few years ago I bought a book specifically about the vortex (vortices)around Sedona. We hiked to a few places, but they are definitely not marked and we didn't know if we were in the right place or not. There were jeep rides specifically for the purpose of taking you to a vortex. I'll be interested to see if you get any responses. It is a beautiful area and we enjoyed the hike to the Indian ruins, but other than commercial ventures (like noted above) we didn't see or hear about anything in the vein you are looking for.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 01:46 PM

I sure did Juldie, years ago we stayed with a couple who were related to my husband. They got drunk every night and screamed at each other until the wee hours of the morning. I prayed that I would never have to see them again. My prayers were answered.

And during a long hike the husband who claimed he knew the area like the back of his hand got us lost and we wondered around for hours. I prayed that somehow I could figure out how to get us back to civilization. And I did!!

So two prayers and both were answered, lol.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 02:16 PM

I'm big into this stuff, and drove myself to Sedona 2 years ago with the specific mission of finding an energy vortex. I hiked in Boynton Canyon, which is supposed to have some strong vortexes, but .... nuthin. Outside of that, the views are outrageously beautiful. I climbed to the top of the Boynton Canyon spire, with NOOOOO one around. I could barely hear myself breathe. It was fabulous!

By contrast, my friend's boss went there a couple of weeks ago on a whim to meet some friends. At some point, out of the clear blue, she started bawling uncontrollably. She's since returned to Hawaii and is a changed woman. Maybe you can't go looking for the vortex, the vortex has to find you.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 02:25 PM
TahitiTams

I go to Sedona at least once a year and love this place!
For me, I do feel the energy from the vortexes..some are more powerful than others..I like the airport vortex and Boynton Canyon for me are the most powerful and sacred and a gorgeous place to hike.

lovesedona.com

Old Oct 7th, 2007, 03:18 PM

Sedona is beautiful. Your soul will be refreshed by the beauty of the red rocks.

I'm afraid that the vortex mumbo-jumbo leaves me cold. It's a bit like 'healing crystals'. If rocks were healers then I would be the most healthy person going, as my house is full of them.

But I hope you find peace and relaxation there - as you are bound to do. Go to Red Rock State Park, Red Rock Crossing and avoid Tlaquepaque if you don't have tons of money to spend.

We stayed at the Hyatt Pinon Pointe - which was wonderful.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 07:16 PM

LoveItaly--Thanks for a laugh this evening!
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 07:17 PM

I respect those that believe in the vortex stuff.

I went on a Red Jeep tour "vortex tour". Lame.

A good friend experienced a very powerful spirtual experience in Sedona. It's not my story to share.

It's beautiful country, whether or not "the vortex finds you".
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 07:56 PM

While we were standing at one of the vortex points waiting to be "spiritualized", our cell phone rang. It was the airline - our flight for that afternoon had been cancelled....bad karma!
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very funny, all of of you doubters. You will all be surprised to know that while in Sedona I had a bowel movement that looked exactly like Ken Osmond (who played Eddy Haskell in the "Leave It To Beaver' television series).
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 08:29 PM

Your welcome longhorn, and btw, it is the absolute truth!
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

wildblueyonder, Melissal,tahititams:
thanks for the particular tips of where to be sure to go. I will definitely go where you suggest. I am getting very excited.

Currently trying to decide if/how much time to spend checking out Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, etc versus just staying close to Sedona.

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 06:15 AM
JJ5

I witnessed one. I'm rather of the opinion that you need to be open, not to religion but to base nature (hard to describe) and have a certain mind-set that is more simple (in a good way) than cerebral, but I did witness an absolute cynic and see the results. He was male, about 55 and totally, totally lifetime non-religious.

He didn't have a "religious" experience, per se, but had an energy boost and ancestral "connection" with a dead relative. He became totally unlike himself, and doesn't ever talk about it, but never pooh-poohs (as some of the above) now.

I think the crystal and all the new age stuff is profitable commerialization, myself- but underneath it re the vortex etc.? Well, because of the landscape and other asethetic reasons (looks overall), and also its long history of populations using it spiritually and for ritual, I think that last aspect leaves "something" behind. That's just my opinion.

We were lucky enough to become volunteers on a cave wall "cleaning" for ancient carving etc. through a school association.

But none of that happened with the person I witnessed there at all. It happened on a long hike, with maps, and in the area that is designated the male vortex.

I didn't get much myself, maybe a bit of serenity and peace feeling by the stream that is on the private property near the female vortex. But nothing spiritual, or what I would say was close to spiritual at all.

The person I witnessed for 2, almost 3 hours, left the group (very, very uncharacteristic) and was literally jumping from ledges 6 to 8 feet apart etc. and climbing all over. It was rather dangerous seeing what he did, and he said later that he felt "unhurtable" if that is a word.

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 06:19 AM

I love Sedona for its beauty. I too am a bit of a skeptic & have never personally experienced anything but serenity from the unmatched beauty. However, I also believe everyone should believe in something. So, whatever floats your boat.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 06:28 AM

No, not really. It was fairly crowded when I was there. However, the Germans I was with lost the car keys and we had to wait about four hours for someone from the rental agency to come with a spare set. They were terribly embarrassed and fretted during the whole period, but I wandered off, found a quiet spot and just relaxed and let my mind drift aimlessly and pleasantly. It wasn't a spiritual experience, but it was definitely refreshing.
Crystals don't do anything for me. My father was a metallurgist in the steel industry, so we grew up with pragmatic rather than spiritual attitudes toward rocks, minerals and other "earthy" stuff.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 06:39 AM

I think its the *placebo effect*.
In other words, if you're looking for it, you will find it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -