Sedona - Sky Ranch Lodge vs Hilton

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2005, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Sedona for a night in the Summer with family. Trying to choose between a Sky Ranch Lodge cottage and a Hilton red rock view room -- both cost just about $180. Both are a bit removed from the crowds and claim to have great views. Hilton is supposed to have a nicer pool, but for one night, I thought Sky Lodge might be more genuine and unique. Can anyone comment from first-hand experience? Thank you
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 03:39 PM
emd

$180 for Sky Ranch Lodge??? That's alot for that hotel, unless you have a special cottage. I looked at the cottages there on the trip to Sedona that I took last week, and that seems like alot. The ones I looked at were about $140. I'm not sure that Sky Ranch is actaully removed from the crowds when it comes to sunset time- that lookout area gets packed then.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 01:40 PM

I'm staying at Sky Ranch this upcoming weekend, although not in a cottage. I'll post when I get back.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 03:22 AM

Gil, my family went to Sedona last year and I struggled with the same choice! I ended up going for the Hilton Sedona and paid for a "guaranteed red rock view." I am so glad we chose it! It was such a very lovely place - fairly new (6 years old?), lovely suites (and an awe-inspiring view), beautiful grounds and buildings and very well maintained. The drive into and around Sedona was spectacular! Althoug it is on a main road, close and convenient to stores, it is set very far back from the road so you don't feel as though you're on the road at all.

We did drive up to Airport Road (by Sky Ranch) to see the view at sunrise... and to be completely honest, I didn't think the view from up there is all it's cracked up to be! Views from the Hilton were every bit as beautiful... everywhere is beautiful there!!

For us, it came down to the ambiance of the hotel itself... I wanted a bit more of a luxurious feel - not a hotel where I'd read on more than one occasion that the rooms were a bit seedy and in need of updating.

Either way, you'll have a wonderful vacation! Be sure to take a jeep trip! We took the Pink Jeep Broken Arrow one, and it was FANTASTIC!!!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 04:25 AM

I stayed at the Sky Ranch lodge last year and loved it! We ate breakfast at the airport cafe (a short walk), enjoyed the sunset from the property (instead of going to the crowded area), and it was lovely.

I'd highly recommend it, although with LPOW's high recommendation of the Hilton, it sounds like you'd be fine either way.

Enjoy,
Karen
Old May 22nd, 2005, 03:35 PM

topping
Old May 22nd, 2005, 05:04 PM

The Hilton is not in Sedona - it's a 5 to 10 minute drive south of Sedona. We've stayed at a few places in Sedona and the Sky Ranch Lodge was the best by far. The views are wonderful, the staff is friendly, and the grounds are rustic but very nice. The Hilton is modern and very resort-like, but I'll stay at Sky Ranch Lodge every time!