Reload this Page >

Sedona or Scottsdale

Search

Sedona or Scottsdale

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 07:55 AM
Sue

Sedona or Scottsdale

We will be coming to Phoenix for the Stones concert at the end of January and will stay on for a few days. Reading all the postings about Sedona, looks like that might be a great place to go. What is the temperature like compared to Scottsdale/Phoenix at that time of year? Thanks.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 08:06 AM
cece

If you are going to a concert in Phoenix,it will not be practical to stay in Sedona at least for that night as it is quite a distance away.

There is not a great deal to do in Sedona, so whether or not you stay there depends on your interests. You can look in galleries and shops, and have a hot rock massage. Other than that...

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 08:23 AM
Tony Hughes

...you could get back in touch with your inner self by visiting a crystal shoppe or take in the vibes from the natural vortex blah blah..

Cece is correct; sedona is a really nice place but there really isn't that much for you to do other than hike or do something 'earthy' or new age.

Cooler in temps compared to Scottsdale.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 02:19 PM
Jan

Average daily high in Scottdsdale 66, low 41
High in Sedona is 54, low 31.
Sedona gets 5.4 inches of snow avg in January.
Remember that Sedona is at 5000 feet elevation, and it's dry air, so it definitely feels cool in winter.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 06:44 PM
David

Before you buy into Cece and Tonys' ideas about there being very little to do in Sedona. Ask yourself if you like to hike, or picnic at creek's edge, or have a drink on the ppatio of a 5* hotel facing red canyon walls.
Yes, Sedona doesn't have a shopping mall where you could run into people like Cece and others from your home town, but it has other things which I guess are bes referred to as blah blah blah.
Temps will be 15 degrees cooler than Scottsdale though and you will need the following day to get there...(2 hrs)

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 07:26 PM
gary

Sue: Phoenix and Sedona are not close enough together for a trip after the concert, but with a few days it is a lovely trip. Scottsdale is for shopping malls and golf. Sedona is a beautiful place if you enjoy nature, photography, hiking or backroads jeep rides that take you through the bright red hills to view the sunset. You do not need to be some new age crystal lover to enjoy it. There is also a beautiful tree filled valley just past Sedona (Oak something?) that is a nice contrast if geography.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 09:04 AM
scotty

I think Gary is referring to Oak Creek Canyon. And it's worth visiting Sedona just to see the contrast with the Pheonix area.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 06:07 PM
peb

there is no choice Sedona is trully awesome! no better place , great scenery and resturants.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 07:07 PM
cindy

Sue: We enjoyed our trip to Sedona, but we like to hike. We found the trails there to be a lot of fun with beautiful scenery. Highly recommend it if that is your thing.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Red

Being a Phoenician, I'd say do both! Scottsdale will be beautiful that time of year and Sedona will be colder. In Scottsdale I recommend a tour of Taliesan, Old Town Scottsdale for souvenier shopping, and hiking. You can drive to Sedona in two hours, have lunch, shop, and take a jeep tour (but it will be freezing at the top). The vistas in Sedona are so breathtaking that you must go!

PS - I'm going to the Stones concert too!

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 04:18 PM
kam

Scottsdale is a lovely suburb of Phoenix and Old Scottsdale is great fun. However, nothing compares to Sedona and the red rocks. I would especially recommend the Enchantment Resort which is in Boynton Canyon surrounded by red rocks and with many hiking trails. It doesn't have to be New Age---we enjoyed it many times as well! Loved learning about the history of the native people and their art. Wonderful place and cooler than Scottsdale. In January (I'm not a resident so can't swear to this) but I think you might have some snow at higher elevations in Sedona. P.S. I hated the tour guides for Taliesin West---they were old lady FLW cult people who wouldn't let us talk during their tour.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 04:31 PM
Debbie

Hi--
I like both places but for very different reasons. Sedona's pretty--getting more touristy each year--but still a very worthwhile destination. I agree w/the other posters that it's a great place to hike and Enchantment Resort is wonderful!! Pricey but ooh, soo good.

Phoenix and the surrounds is good for a couple of days. There's plenty to keep you occupied. Yes, there are plenty of malls but you can find more than that to do!

Debbie

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 06:02 PM
Sue

Thank you all for your information and suggestions. I had no idea Scottsdale would be so cool in January. I was there is March once and it was 95 degrees! I will definitely bring warmer clothing so I will be prepared to see everything! Thanks again!