Seattle/Vancouver in 6 days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2007, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, I'm new to the forum and wanted to get some advice on an itinerary. A friend and I are traveling from NYC and staying w/ a friend in Seattle. We won't have a car in Seattle except when our friend drops us off places. Will this be a problem? (reading other Seattle posts suggests no?)

We'll be in the NW area for 6 full days - Thurs-Monday nite. Also planning to drive to Vancouver on Sat morning w/ our friend. Can we make this a day trip or is there so much to see that you'd recommend staying overnight and being in Vancouver Sunday too?

I like to plan ahead - any must-see's for such a short trip? I'm a sucker for parks (usually of the urban sort) and public spaces. I wouldn't mind half a day with light, non-hardcore hiking somewhere (again, subject to car availability), and tend to like doing things that are integral to that city. For ex, no need to go dept store shopping or a Mariners game since I can do that anywhere, but I'd be open to Pike Pl Market. I'm looking for recommendations of the DO-NOT-MISS variety, but I can fill in the gaps myself.

Thanks!!!
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 07:15 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Correct, you don't need a car within the city. Find out what bus lines run to your friend's house and you can easily get around on your own (or get home from where he drops you). Depending how close in, taxis are an option also. Or walking, seriously you can cover a lot of ground near and around downtown and the closest-in neighborhoods.

It is at least 3-hour drive each way to Vancouver, with a border crossing, you could do it as a day trip (6 hrs driving, 6 hrs to see the city) but I think an overnight would be more enjoyable.

Don't miss: the new sculpture garden down on the waterfront, the Arboretum with Japanese Gardens is a huge park (but a little tricky to see without a car), Volunteer Park on Capitol Hill is definitely "of the urban sort" and has a watertower you can climb for the view, Victorian plant conservatory, and Asian branch of the Seattle Art Museum. It is at the end of the #10 Metro bus line so real easy to get to.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 07:32 AM

I would def. stay overnight in Vancouver--a day trip isn't enough to see much of the city at all.

In Seattle, the new sculpture park sounds like it has your name written all over it ;-). I'd also recommend checking out the newly renovated Art Museum, and the Seattle Public Library (designed by Rem Koolhaas).

For short, easy hikes/walks, one idea would be the 3 mile or so loop around Discover Park in Magnolia (you can take a bus if your friend can't drive you). Or, if your friend wants to go with you, the Twin Falls hike out near North Bend (east on I-90) gives you some old growth forest and waterfalls within a reasonably short distance of Seattle.

Old Aug 21st, 2007, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, suze and NWW! The sculpture garden does indeed sound like something right up my alley. Oh, and I can't count apparently - it's only 5 full days. So a 2 days Vancouver / 3 days Seattle breakdown is my best bet then?
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

oh - now that I'm thinking about staying overnight in Vancouver, any recommendations for a budget hotel? We'll have a car, so if there's free parking, all the better.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 09:00 AM

My friend & I stayed in two Hostelling International Hostels in Vancouver & were really happy with both. We were in Vancouver during peak tourist season (August) and wanted to stay right near the heart of the city for cheap.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 12:09 PM

Are you interested in a ferry ride? If you are, and want to combine it with an easy hike/walk in one of the best parks, check out Lincoln Park in West Seattle. The park has a gorgeous leafy path with water and mountain views up on the bluff, and the lower path runs right along the water. The ferry to Vashon Island is about a block south. You can just ride over and back if it's a nice day and you don't have a car...not much to see on the Vashon side if you don't have transportation. On the way back from Lincoln Park, drive along Beach Drive SW and onto Harbor Avenue for scenery and people watching. Plenty of restuarants on Alki Beach, too.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 12:15 PM

I responded to your Canada post earlier, but there is new info in your post here.

Geez... if going to Canada on the weekend, get going EARLY on Saturday morning... hit the border by 10am or perhaps waste some precious time in line there. (going up TO Canada is nothing compared to border concerns coming back)

MY ADVICE for a Sunday return is to stay waaaaaaaay LATE in Vancouver, and then shove-off toward the U.S. at 8pm or after. (the later the better, I say)

Of course your "friend" probably has to work in the wee hours on Monday morning - just your luck.

Seattle is easy without a car. Bus system is reliable and safe, and it can get you just about anywhere.

Old Aug 21st, 2007, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all the info, everyone. i'm gonna go plan my heart out now ;-)
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:31 AM

I have to agree with staying late in van. is a good idea ,getting over the boarder can take over 2 hours, on a weekend or over americain holidays even at sumas and the truck crossing...
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

hi folks - i've got some specific followup Qs for you pros:

1. is there an "ideal" time of day to take the ferry to Bainbridge? is it a good place to see the sunset, or are there advantages to go at other times of day?

2. i'm thinking a quick stop at Mora ice cream once on Bainbridge, any other quick stops to recommend?

3. are there any buses etc that go to Twin Falls State Park?

4. Any stong opinions on whether the Pioneer Sq Underground Tour is worth it?

thanks!!
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 12:50 PM

I had to look up Twin Falls State Park. I was born in Washington, but I had never heard of the place. I note it is near I-90 a few miles east of North Bend. Perhaps a Greyhound bus going from Seattle to Spokane would drop you off there--I don't know. Then, of course, you would have take your changes that you could flag down a bus to get back into Seattle.

If I may be so bold, why are you interested in this obscure destination?

Old Sep 9th, 2007, 02:23 PM

going to bainbridge is nice anytime of day, but of course, with the syline night lights everything seems even more magical.

Old Sep 9th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

happytrails - haha, not sure! I didn't realize it was obscure until you mentioned it! someone mentioned it earlier when i was looking for an easy hike and i like waterfalls, so the idea stuck! but now that i know it's not so accessible I will probably look for a closer alternative.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 05:01 PM

Now I know.

There is no doubt transportation to Snoqualmie--you could walk to the base of the falls.

The place for you is Oregon. In addition to the famous falls along the Columbia River Gorge, Oregon boasts a State Park with a trail that passes ten waterfalls! http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_211.php
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thx for the Snoqualmie rec - do you know offhand the bus that goes there? The Oregon trail sounds great, but will have to wait for another trip! ;-)
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 08:52 AM

Apparently there is a bus that leaves from downtown Seattle and stops near Snoqualmie Falls: http://tripplanner.metrokc.gov/cgi-bin/itin.pl
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 09:40 AM

Twin Falls isn't really obscure, it's actually one of the most popular day hikes near Seattle due to its great combination of being fairly easy, passing through old growth forest and having two waterfalls, but as I think I said when I originally mentioned it to awlrain, you really need a car to get there (so that's why I said, go if your friend with the car wants to go with you).

Snoqualmie Falls is certainly worthwhile--it's just not as nice a hike as Twin Falls, IMO. But since your friend taking you out there doesn't seem to be an option, it'll have to do!