Seattle v. Vancouver

Sep 11th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Seattle v. Vancouver

Hello all. Taking my wife and two daughters (10 & 5) to Whistler, BC for some skiing the week of 1/19/08. Using FF miles to fly from East Coast to either Seattle or Vancouver. Planning on staying over in Seattle or Vancouver for a night or two before renting a car and driving to Whistler.

I realize that Vancouver is a shorter and easier drive and this is big with two smaller kids. As far as sightseeing I know the typical Seattle area sights: Spaceneedle, Boeing Factory Tour, etc. but I am clueless when it comes to Vancouver. Never having been to the PNW is there as much to do and see in Vancouver than in Seattle? I am leaning towards Vancouver because of convenience to Whistler but I am having regrets about not seeing Seattle.

Thanks.
Sep 11th, 2007, 07:10 AM

I live in Seattle. Vancouver much better fits for your trip. Maybe read or post on the Canada forum for more info, or read the Destinations recommendations for Vancouver above.
Sep 11th, 2007, 07:50 AM

Both cities are very enjoyable but with kids, time of year, short daylight, and likely wet conditions in both places, I think you'd be better off focusing just on Vancouver.

There are numerous things to do for a couple of days - great aquarium, Chinatown, shopping, Granville Market... plenty to occupy your time before or after Whistler.

Don't underestimate the time needed to get to Whistler, given roadworks and other preparations for the Olympics.
Sep 11th, 2007, 08:42 AM

gores,

Here's some notes on our families weeklong vacation in Vancouver. I hope it gives you some ideas.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...9&tid=34861007

BTW, I think you'll find PLENTY to keep you interested for a few days...
Sep 11th, 2007, 11:46 AM

Considering (1) you will visit it January, (2) you are traveling with two young girls, and (3) it is annoying and time-consuming to cross the border between the U.S.A. and Canada, Vancouver is the far better choice.

Vancouver has excellent facilities for visitors, a dramatic setting between mountains and water, and many point of interest for your family--including a first-rate acqurium and (believe-it-or-not) an anthropology museum.
Sep 11th, 2007, 11:55 AM

I agree that Vancouver would be a better choice for a short visit and more convenient for the drive up to Whistler. Science World and the already mentioned Aquarium at Stanley Park are two sites that may interest your daughters, my son enjoyed both at age 10. Vancouver is a great city to visit and a day or two there would be time well spent.
Sep 11th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys. I actually posted this same question on the Canada/BC forum and so far have not received a response.

It looks like Vancouver would be a better option from a driving perspective and it sounds like there is enough to see to make it worthwhile for a day or so.

As for weather how do the two cities compare in mid-January? I know Seattle has a reputation for being dreary but how cold Vancouver that time of year?

Thanks.
Sep 11th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

One more quickie question...any recommendation of a hotel location for one night? We will have a rental car and probably fly in on a Saturday late afternoon and leave for Whistler the following afternoon.

Should we stay downtown or just outside the city? Price is not really an object but convenience would be.

Thanks.
Sep 11th, 2007, 02:21 PM

The weather in both cities is pretty similar. It's likely to be chilly and rainy in both places (temps 30s and 40s but usually not below freezing).

I would stay in downtown Vancouver. My favorite hotel there is the Sutton Place which is right in the center of things.
Sep 11th, 2007, 02:24 PM

Then by all means stay in downtown Vancouver so you can enjoy the place. The city is located several miles from the main highway. The following link is good for hotels in Vancouver: http://www.tourismvancouver.com/visitors/
Sep 11th, 2007, 04:11 PM

The weather is very similar.
Sep 11th, 2007, 07:27 PM

It's probably a little wetter and a little colder in Vancouver, but, unlike in Seattle, that doesn't stop the locals from enjoying the outdoors. When I was there last January, there were many more people jogging and biking in the rain than there would be in Seattle under similar conditions.
Sep 12th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys for all the help and suggestions. We have booked our flights to Vancouver and look forward to sightseeing and then skiing Whistler!