Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anniversary Weekend Vancouver, Seattle or both?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Message: Just landed to FF tickets to Seattle for Oct 7-10. Had no idea Vancouver is so close. Trying to decide between spending our time in Seattle or driving to Vancouver for the entire weekend. We enjoy luxury accomodations, fantastic scenery, great restaurants, outdoor walks or runs etc. We really want to absorb the ambiance of a city more than commando tour museums. If we choose Vancouver we have it narrowed to the Wedgewood. If we choose Seattle the Inn at the Market. Which city more closely matches our profile? Which city has a bigger "wow" factor in terms of beauty? Thanks in advance!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 09:01 AM

Just came back from Seattle this past Saturday. I live in Vancouver, but I was showing friends from Montreal as they were dying to see it. We all enjoyed our time in Seattle, but for a "wow" factor in terms of beauty? We all agreed that it was Vancouver, hands down. Without trying to sound biased, my reasons for this is because Seattle has a freeway that runs along their waterfront, and most of it is industrial. The famous mountains are about a 2 hour drive east of the city and are only visible in the distance.
Seattle has a vibe that it's been a city much older than Vancouver.

Vancouver feels much newer. The mountains are literally 20 minutes to the north of the city and offer quite the dramatic backdrop. Most of Vancouver's waterfront is publically accessible, with beaches, parks and the seawall. In terms of natural beauty, Vancouver wins in my opinion.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 09:43 AM

I never understand it when people say Seattle and Vancouver are similar. They are both cities on the water in the same part of the continent. Otherwise they feel like night and day to me. I agree with Carmanah 100%. Vancouver has the wow factor.

As much as people love the Wedgewood, I gather it doesn't have much of a view. In Vancouver I would rather have a 'wow' view room.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 03:11 PM

No question , Vancouver is for you. I have been to both and if you only have a few days you can't fo either justice. Vancouver has beautiful parkes along the ocean where many people ride bikes and run, Victoria is beautiful and the Garden's can't be missed. I vote for Vancouver also as you will get more for your money and better climate!
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 06:01 PM

I've lived in Seattle all my life and I have to agree with "Vancouver".

Be sure to bring either your passports or birth certificates to cross the border.

Vancouver activities are a bit more closely arranged than are Seattle's, and with precious time to see them, that counts!