Search

Seattle - labor day

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seattle - labor day

My husband and I are thinking about a long labor day wknd in Seattle. Had been considering trying to do Vancouver as well but after reading some posts I think I will just stick to Seattle and nearby environs. What about car rental. Can we/should we do without? Can anyone give me an idea of a 3-4 day itinerary which we could do without car that will not leave us exhausted and the same with a car? Also, we're not into mega hotels but prefer inns or B&Bs...any suggestions?
thanks!
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:48 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The Bumbersoot arts festival (www.bumbershoot.org) occurs over Labor Day weekend at Seattle Center (Space Needle, EMP, Sci-Fi Museum, etc.) and draws upward of 300,000 people over the weekend. So unless you want to participate (and you should - it's really fun) that part of downtown is best avoided then.

Otherwise, sure, you can manage without a car. Vancouver is a long day trip (4 hrs each way give or take depending on transport mode); you can take ferries as walk-ons, the bus system is excellent, scheduled float planes to the San Juan Islands or Victoria (see www.kenmoreair.com) - lots of possibilities.

There are relatively few quality B&Bs in Seattle due to throwback zoning laws and active Nimbys; there are several boutique hotels that are quite attractive, including several in the Kimpton group. The Inn at the Market, while pricey, might be your cup of tea, especially after the cruisers clear out Sunday morning.

As for itineraries, too many options to list without knowing more about your interests.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 08:28 AM

Maybe you could rent a car for one day and go out to Snoqualmie Falls & the winiers/brewery in Woodinville.

There is a water taxi that can take you over to Alki, you could pack a picnic bought from Pike Place market and spend the afternoon looking at the gorgeous views.

Other areas can be accessed by bus I think.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 09:13 AM

You are likely to enjoy staying at the Mayflower Park Hotel or Hotel Andra. They are both small, locally operated, and very well situated for sightseeing. Check out sightseeing cruises to the San Juan Islands or Victoria, BC, and the Gray Line Tour to Mt. Rainier.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 09:58 PM

Vancouver-do take a car. Check out the Anthropology Museum at UBS,Stanley Park and Van Deusen Gardens. We loved O'Canada House B&B in Vancouver.

Seattle:we are fans of Gaslight Inn. We have also stayed several times at Inn at the Market. You are right at the Pike Market and can walk downstairs to Campagne to eat.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 10:11 PM

Just got back from Seattle.

Stayed at Rennisance Hotel (ok?? I guess) and Fairmont (ABSOLUTLEY AMAZING!!) got a great deal at the Fairmont- a suite for $199 a night. The most attentive staff I have ever encountered.

Food-
ate at:
The Brooklyn- the Alderwood Salmon was to die for!
The Metropolitan Grill- Good peppercorn steak...but not sure if it was worth the price.
The Gerogian (in the Fairmont)- Hands down the best Sea Bass I have ever tasted and I live in SF where there is tons of fresh seafood. The tomoto soup was execellent.

Took the Bainbridge ferry across the puget sound. Not much you can see without a car over there, but a fun way to get good pictures of the skyline and Mt. Rainer.

If you have the opportunity to rent a car for 2 days I would recomend Olympic National Park. We took three beautiful hikes (two to waterfalls and one to a rainforest) The weather was perfect and the views were AWESOME! So glad we took time out to go there!

Have a wonderful trip!!!
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:32 AM

travelmom---what were the specific hikes you did?
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 06:30 AM

My favorite easy waterfall hikes are on a trail about one mile past the Sol Duc Hot Springs and the one from Lake Crescent Lodge to Marymere Falls. The latter hike is through forest very much like the one at the Hoh Rain Forest. I urge you to stay at Lake Crescent Lodge in a cabin on the lake if possible.

Ruby Beach is a great place to walk when the tide is out.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 05:11 PM

we did the madison falls hike...not really a hike but pretty. Merymere Falls, Sol Duc Falls and Hoh Rainforest hike.

Lake cresant was very pretty..but what were the accomdations like? The clam chowder was the best I have ever tasted there!