Seattle Hotels

Old Aug 15th, 2003, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seattle Hotels

Anyone ever stayed at the Four Seasons Olympic Hotel, (I think it's now owned by Fairmont, right?)Grand Hyatt, W Hotel, or Westin or Inn at Market in Seattle? Planning to visit next summer..... Want to be near the action and have some luxury... Thanks!
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 08:48 AM

We stayed at the Elliott Grand Hyatt in July. We really liked it. The location was great - easy walking distance to everything. The room was beautiful and very comfortable. The bathroom was huge and my husband said the shower was the best ever (there was also a separate soaking tub).
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 08:51 AM

I've stayed at the Inn at the Market a few times. It's quite nice. I'd opt for a market view room or a water view room. Folks have suggested the rooms at the front on First are quiet but I'm not certain. Our market view room(we always ask for the same one but I can't remember the #..they have it in their computer) allowed us to gaze at the market below and the water beyond. All rooms have frige w/ honor bar. The amenities are good especially the restaurant Campagne which is downstairs
at the hotel and delicious! We go to Seattle and its surround every year. Campagne remains one of our top places to eat. The Inn at the Market also has parking. Once we're at the hotel we seldom use the car. It's location allows us to walk just about every place. You can also take the free buses to Pioneer Square. You will be in short walking distance to the Museum and a pleasant and easy walk to either Belltown or Pioneer Square.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Both Elliott Grand Hyatt and Inn at Market sound great. Now I can't decide, haha.
Thanks for your feedback....

Old Aug 15th, 2003, 11:28 AM

I think it's hard to beat the Eliott (Grand Hyatt) if you get a good price. It's the newest hotel downtown, good location, nice rooms, not a typical Hyatt cookie cutter design.
And they often have very competitive rates (check their website internet specials and such).
I'd avoid the Fairmont. Have to believe Four Seasons sold it for a reason and Fairmont has a habit of buying once grand hotels and just propping them up without restoring them to former glory.
The Westin is an eyesore IMO. I've only peeked in the rooms but compared to the others you've listed it's last on the list.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Rwilliams-The Elliott Grand Hyatt really does look nice and it's getting some good reviews as well. You're probably right about the Fairmont hotels. The properties are fairly old (especially in CANADA) and as much as I enjoy staying in historical places, some of them are IMO just "OLD" and overpriced. We're staying at the Fairmont Chateau Frontenac soon. Should be interesting to see just how old is it and what they've done with the rooms... Thanks for your reply....
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 12:05 PM

Hi Rwilliams,
What do you think of the Seattle Waterfront Marriott?
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 02:47 PM

I'll second PamSF's comments. The rooms at the Inn at the Market facing the market are very romantic, and the location is super. Don't know about the other places.

Have fun!
Dave
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 03:06 PM

Yamamar: I was last in Seattle about 9 months ago and while I spent a lot of time downtown I didn't see the Marriott. In fact now that I think about it, it is probably Seattle's newest downtown hotel.
I'm always up for trying new hotels (which is one reason I chose the Grand Hyatt), and it looks like you're already planning to visit. Please let us know what you think. I'll be surprised if there are any major negatives. Marriott runs a pretty tight ship, and while they're not long on style and innovation, they provide a very predictable environment which is usally a decent value. I'm sure the new Waterfront is cut from the same cloth.
GailK: everyone has different tastes to be sure, but regardless of the style of Fairmont's general collection the Frontenac is a landmark worth staying at. Unlike the Banff Springs (which is in many ways similar the the Frontenac) the rooms at Frontenac are warmer and the views are wonderful.
I don't mean to malign the whole chain. There are some very good, and some relatively new, Fairmonts. I've stayed at about 8 of them. I just don't care for their older hotels in general.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 04:02 PM

Received 77 Likes on 7 Posts
Fairmont has just taken over the Olympic - probably no changes discernable at the moment.

The Inn at the Market is located right in the market - if "near the action" means Pike Place, all the yup restaurants/bars in Belltown, and stairs to the waterfront, it's probably the best choice, if you can get a market/water view room $$$.

The Hyatt is very nice, new, and close to the Cheesecake Factory. Oh joy.

The Westin is an enormous convention-type hotel. Along with the Sheraton it's among the most impersonal of the big hotels.

The W is probably the least centrally located for "the action" and allegedly has rooms that are roomy only to leprechauns. Those that wear black Armani outfits. How 20th Century.

The new Marriott is across a busy street from the waterfront, trains at the rear, a few yards from the stairs up to the Pike Market. It will be a huge hit with the cruise crowd, as it's across the street from the big boats (summer only.)

A couple of places not on your list but worth considering -

The Monaco, the Kimpton group's flagship house in Seattle. Sazerac, the in-hotel restaurant, is one of the best/most interesting places in the city. http://www.monaco-seattle.com/

The Alexis, on First Ave. a couple of blocks downhill from the Market and a couple of blocks uphill from Pioneer Square, free buses at the door, is a very nice place, well located. Lots of people with a lot more money than you'll ever have (unless you're the Sultan of Brunei) have stayed there. Nice restaurant and bar, close to Pioneer Square, the ferry terminal, not too far from the Market and all that. They can also arrange for a psychological consult and/or acupuncturist for your dog. http://www.alexishotel.com

Old Aug 16th, 2003, 06:18 PM
E

We stayed at the Inn at the Market about a month ago and loved it--I agree with all of PamSF's remarks. And an interesting detail: the bed was that Swedish space foam, which was interesting to try--very comfy! Wnjoy your trip!
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 08:29 PM

We stayed at the Westin a few years ago in a huge room on a high floor. One whole wall was windows so the view at night was great. It is not on the waterfront. We live in a small town half a days drive from Seattle and go there frequently for weekends and to shop. All of the properties mentioned are good. I personally wouldn't stay at Inn at the Market because it's so crowded and kinda dirty down there. We have also stayed at the WestCoast Grand on 5th and liked it. Hope this helps.
Just a side note: If you ever have occasion to go to Seattle in early spring (before March 31st) all the hotels offer 50% off their rates. Go to www.seattlesupersaver.com