Rephrasing Seattle hotel query...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are actually some decent rates for a number of hotels, so I've expanded my search. Please tell me what hotel downtown would be best for someone that wants close proximity to shopping (not just tourist shops, but also Christmas shopping/dept. stores); maybe the movies; good restaurants; and a little bit of luxury under $200. A view would be nice, too. And not in a seedy neighborhood at night, as I will be alone.

I did searches, but became confused about proximity to things, since I've never really been to Seattle before. Prices on Expedia include Inn at Market ($188); Grand Hyatt ($189) Westin ($159); W ($188); Sheraton ($150); Warwick ($99). Are any of these a deal? Are some more convenient or much nicer than others?

Any thoughts appreciated!
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 12:48 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
It might behoove you to look at the individual hotels' websites, since some might have specials that Expedia et al don't pick up on.

All are in safe enough areas; the Inn at the Market is a couple of blocks from some so-so street atmosphere late at night, otherwise no worries. It's a big city, but a reasonably safe one.

Of the list (personal preferences) I would rank the Hyatt first, then the Inn, the Warwick, Sheraton, Westin and W. All are perfectly fine, but the Hyatt is the newest and best located to upscale shopping, entertainment, etc. Which is to say across the street, vs. the least convenient, the W or Warwick, which are around four blocks (and possibly wet ones in fall/winter). Not a lot in it as you can see.

The Inn is more along the lines of a boutique hotel; if your $189 room has a water view (not a street view) that's an okay rate; if it's a street view room then skip it. I would still pick the Hyatt anyway.

The Sheraton and Westin are big convention-type hotels, seen one seen 'em all. I understand the Warwick is going through some renovations of rooms, if $99 is for a new one, grab it. Phone to find out.

Also look at the Monaco, Alexis, Andra and Mayflower for more boutique-y places, or the waterfront Marriott or Edgewater for hotels close to the Sound (but less convenient for many of your destinations, especially in lousy weather.) Or check out the Fairmont Olympic, the grand dame of them all, and the most elegant.
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 12:50 PM
jimjim

The Grand Hyatt ($189), Westin ($159, and Sheraton ($150) are best situated for your criteria. The Westin price is good if you get a room in the tower that has been remodeled. The Hyatt is the newest, and the price sounds good.

Old Nov 24th, 2004, 12:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Last time I posted about Seattle hotels a couple posters gave me a hard time because I live here and had not actually stayed at the hotels myself. With that disclaimer...

IMO Inn at the Market is the nicest and smallest. Sheraton, Warwick and Westin are typical chain hotels of a certain era. Hear good things about the W of course but never been.

Department stores, Christmas shopping, movies and restaurants are all right in the central downtown core. Sheraton and the Westin are closer by only a couple blocks than Inn at the Market and the W (in two opposite directions).

If I counted right on the map you're talking about basically ~10 block range with the Warwick furthest north and the W furthest south. And the Inn furtherst west on 1st with the Hyatt furthest to the east at 7th.

Downtown Seattle is a bit empty at night, so although I would not necessarily call the area "seedy" you will most likely see some homeless people, panhandling, etc. on certain streets. This happens side by side in this city with some of the most high-end restaurants, for example in the Belltown district nearby.

Have you thought about The Mayflower Park Hotel? It's *the* most central location with a restaurant at the hotel and department stores within 0 to 3 blocks (my favorite Bon-Macy is directly across the street). It's an old building, and classy in an "old school" hotel way.
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 01:23 PM

The Hotel Edgewater is very nice, located right on Elliott Bay, I don't think you'll find a room for under $200, but I maybe wrong. We stayed in August and got in under the Breakfast on the Bay package that was wonderful. www.edgewaterhotel.com ***kim***
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 01:24 PM

after being in the Adra I'd still suggest there- right next to the Cinerama, Dahlia Lounge, Brassiere Margaux, Lola, Palace Kitchen all within 2 blocks, shopping both downtown and belltown, looks like a modern W or the like.

Have fun whereever you stay!
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 02:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I know from previous threads that Kim is wild for the Edgewater and that there is a shuttle service. But for lukesaunt... it is not <close proximity to shopping>, it'd be a darn long walk to Nordstroms for sure!

As Gardyloo and stormgirl have recommended Hotel Andra is new on the scene. I'm aware of them only because my office if nearby & they've been courting our business account; it looks pretty fantastic.
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 02:26 PM

BTW, the Dahlia Lounge is very good. I enjoyed their crab cakes there. I hope to see the Teatro Zinzanni next time we're in Seattle that is catered by Tom Douglas. ***kim***
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 02:36 PM

The Andra has Douglas' new restaurant, Lola, on the ground floor. While I'm no huge fan of his places (hat, cattle) I've heard good things about it.

That said, for lukesaunt's purposes, I'll definitely stick with the Hyatt.
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you ALL for your wonderful information. It sounds like the Hyatt is worth the extra $20-30 over the Sheraton and Westin, so I may go with that. I was thinking about the Inn at Market for the view, but it will just be me, so maybe I don't need romance as much as action. The Hyatt looks more luxurious. I'm sort of leaning that way... unless someone can tell me a hotel that's about as good, that happens to have a good hotel spa. I'd love a massage. (The Fairmont is too pricey, I think.)
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 02:51 PM

Gardyloo, aren't the prices at the Fairmont Olympic around $350-$400 for a standard room? We came very close to staying here right before they changed hands (formerly Four Seasons) but decided to be down by the water.

I really wanted to go tour the hotel, but we never found the place. We're tenatively planning a couple of nights in Seattle, then up to Vancouver, BC (which I know nothing about, btw) then we would like to visit Alaska this summer. Also want to fit some time in for the San Juans. But more detailed planning will come after the first of the year. ***kim***
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 03:23 PM

Lukesaunt--While not a hotel spa, the Nordstrom there has a wonderful day spa. When we lived in the area, that was the spa that I used.
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 04:14 PM

Kim, the Olympic's base rates are around $260 a night, but they too can have unadvertised or web specials. Worth investigating once in a while.

There's a spa (Reini?) in the shopping arcade at the Hyatt too, although Nordie's spa is also excellent.
Old Nov 25th, 2004, 01:15 PM

I can't believe that couple of summers ago when they were the Four Season, I could have had a room for $200 that was their executive suite. They were actually in the Entertainment book and the room at regular rate was $400/night which is just a bit pricey. The plans didn't work out and I had to cancel, but I regret not staying there now for that rate.

I will definitely find this place this summer, if not just to hang out, try their restaurant and perhaps indulge in a spa treatment. ***kim***
Old Nov 25th, 2004, 02:38 PM

Hi, Just came back from Seattle, stayed at the Inn at the Harbor Steps. Got a great rate on Luxury Link. Hotel was great, lots of extras. I have stayed at the Inn at the Market before. I liked them both, but the rate for the Inn at the Harbor Steps couldn't be beat- $600.00 for four nights. Seattle has good bus service and isn't that large.