Which of three Seattle hotels?

Jan 22nd, 2006, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Which of three Seattle hotels?

Although it is early in the year, I understand hotels book up quickly during cruise season. As a result, I'm researching hotels now for a night in Seattle. In the past, I've stayed at the Fairmont Olympic and really enjoyed it. This time I am considering the Grand Hyatt or Westin in addition to the Fairmont. Right now the Hyatt and Westin have the best deals for June.

What are your thoughts about the hotels?
Jan 22nd, 2006, 05:27 PM
mms

You really can't go wrong with any of these. Of course the Fairmont is in a totally different league than the other two. We have stayed at the Westin numerous times when we lived there (stayed for large group functions) and always had good experiences. The South Tower has been rennovated very recently, and I believe they are working on the North Tower. The location is great, right near the heart of the shopping and a very short walk down to Pike Place Market.

I do not know if you are set on one of these 3 hotels or not, but in case you are interested, the Alexis Hotel is another beautiful place to consider.

Jan 22nd, 2006, 09:50 PM

These are all great locations, right in the heart of the city. The Fairmont is 1-2 blocks further from the main shopping area than the other two, but this is certanly not a reason to rule it out because it is fabulous. Of the 3, I've stayed only at the Fairmont and it was amazing - I'd stay there anytime.

The Hyatt is right in the thick of things, right on Pine, which is the major shopping street in downtown. The Westin is a block north, right next to Westlake Center (mall). I've heard great things about both. The Seattle Westin is pretty unique because of its two circular towers with views for all.

In short, Fairmont has the luxury, Hyatt probably has the best location for tourism (although we're talking 1-2 blocks here, so they are all GREAT locations), and Westin if you want the view.
Jan 23rd, 2006, 06:07 AM

007's concluding paragraph is on the nose.
Jan 23rd, 2006, 01:40 PM

Also consider Inn at the Market
Jan 23rd, 2006, 01:46 PM

I'd go for the Hyatt mainly for the location. Many more food/bev options close by than the others, as well as the shopping as mentioned above.
Jan 28th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

I just love Fodorites

Thanks so much for the feedback. I starting reading Tripadvisor and then got even more confused. Apparently there is a Marriott on the waterfront that is also supposed to be nice. I love the Fairmont. Right now though my first choice is the Hyatt. I'll keep looking and see what I can find.

Thanks for your help!
Jan 29th, 2006, 08:22 AM

the Marriott on the waterfront is noticeably out of the way, wedges between a busy street and the train tracks. it is much more of a hike to get back up and into downtown. any of the other 3 are better locations. and the Fairmont by far the 'nicest' most unique hotel.
Jan 29th, 2006, 08:28 AM

oops, but it IS right across from Pier 66 (that i see you mentioned in your other thread) so would be the most convenient to that, thought the furthest from downtown.
Feb 5th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

As I research, I have found a few options. It's just one night, so I'm trying to be flexible.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Hyatt with the Fairmont a close second. All of the prices are quite steep right now. The Sheraton is the least expensive I've found for $179. Looks to be an OK hotel.

I'm going to hold out just a little longer to see what I can find.

Will keep you all posted. Thanks for all of your help.
Feb 7th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Well, I have booked at the Fairmont. Have stayed there before and was very pleased. Also love the location. Walked to everything while I was there. Can't go wrong.

Looking forward to it!
Feb 7th, 2006, 07:41 PM
mms

Glad you decided It is always such a nice feeling to make those decisions and then focus on the rest of the trip. Have fun!
Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:24 AM

I just wanted to say thanks for this post. I recently booked flights to Seattle and was researching hotels.
I was deciding between the Fairmont and Westin - with my business rate, the Westin actually ended up being more expensive, so we went with the Fairmont.

We definitely want to be in the middle of everything. I see Fairmont is slightly further away - just to confirm, it's really only by a couple blocks? We live in Boston, so we're used to walking everywhere and that's not a problem.

Once again I owe thanks to Fodorites for additional inside scoop on destinations I am not yet familiar!
Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:50 AM

Boston-
You made a really good choice. The Fairmont is much more of a classic, elegant hotel. The Westin is a nice business hotel. It's only a matter of a couple of blocks to the main retail/shopping areas in Seattle. The hotel is kitty-corner to the 5th Ave Theatre. You can always check and see what's playing when you are in Seattle. Makes for a nice night.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:55 AM

Boston, Just depends where you are going! Fairmont Olympic is probably closer, say if you're walking south to Pioneer Square. but a little further away if you want to go shopping at Nordstrom or Westlake center or Pike Place Market. Definitely a grand dame of a hotel, so worth the extra walk.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:13 AM

Thanks issy and Suze!

Like I said, walking is not an issue, we walk a couple miles each day just getting to and from work!

I will definitely check out that theatre, thanks for the suggestion!
Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:48 AM

Boston-
The Fairmont also has a complimentary town car service to take you to different places in town.

Have fun!

Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:49 AM

The Sheraton is also conveniently located and it may have special rates because a new tower is under construction thre.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

I did just like you. I booked my business rate with the Fairmont which made it the best deal, especially during peak season.

While I was there, the only time I cabbed was to and from the airport and late one night after dinner. We went to some inn (the name escapes me). It is right on the water. It was expensive and the food was OK.

I walked everywhere. Stores near and around Cheesecake Factory as well as to Pike's Place. To minimize the hills, used Pike street (I think) as a guide. If I recall, it was not that hilly.