Seattle hotel advice

Oct 9th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Seattle hotel advice

We're planning on driving from Denver (end of next summer) to Vancouver/Victoria and Seattle. We will be traveling with our dog which certainly makes finding the right hotel more difficult. We need GRASS nearby--not a hotel surrounded by blocks and blocks of concrete.

The Hotel Monaco and Vintage are certainly options for downtown. Any other ideas? We prefer more upscale properties--hopefully not more than $275/night. I am very noise sensitive (within the hotels as well as street noise)

Should we stay downtown or would it be better to drive into the city? How many nights--we were thinking of 3. ??

With a dog we are rather restricted since we cannot go into most sights. Other than walking around,what attractions would you recommend?
Oct 9th, 2009, 02:54 PM

The Alexis Hotel allows dogs. It is conveniently located near Pike Market and is very nice.

Deb
Oct 9th, 2009, 02:56 PM

http://www.alexishotel.com/alxpetf/index.php They have petsitters, so you could go out and see sights.

Deb
Oct 9th, 2009, 03:47 PM

Sorry but there's no grass anywhere around the Alexis Hotel.

Would you consider a B&B? There's lots of very nice ones on Capitol Hill near Volunteer Park (which would be great for your dog) only 2 miles from downtown. Staying downtown is going to be VERY tricky I think.
Oct 9th, 2009, 04:17 PM

I don't know if Homewood Suites at 1011 Pike Street accepts dogs, but if they do there is a dog run two blocks away--at Pine and Melrose.

The run is not covered in grass, but it is designed for dogs to get exercise.

The Grand Hyatt is about four blocks from the dog run.

HTTY
Oct 9th, 2009, 04:38 PM

Sorry but there's no grass anywhere around the Alexis Hotel.

I am not sure this is a huge problem, is it? There is very little grass in most of Manhattan and there are lots of dogs that are able to do their business. There are lots of signs that say, "Curb your dog" and that is what city dweller do - and then pick it up.

If it was a problem, I can't imagine the Alexis would welcome pets.

Just sayin....

Deb
Oct 9th, 2009, 05:16 PM

Check the Homewood Suites on Western Ave or the Marqueen on Lower Queen Anne. There are grassy areas and parks within a block or two of both (not sure about their pet policies). There's also a B&B in West Seattle's Fauntleroy area (can't think of the name) that is practically across the street from one of the best parks - Lincoln - in the city.

I would try to be a bit out from the hustle of right downtown with a dog, personally. You're right that most attractions with the dog won't work, but the Seattle area in summer is dog paradise. Parks, waterfront, dog-friendly neighborhoods and restaurants abound. What were you hoping to see?
Oct 10th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

lennyba --you're thinking just like we are--we just want to walk around and get a feel for the city, parks, neighborhoods, outdoor patio restaurants. I found the Woodmark REsort and Yacht CLub on Lake Washington which looks perfect--away from downtown yet not too far to drive.

We are interested in side trips--any suggestions? Do the local ferries to the San Juan's or other islands allow dogs?

Do you think 2.5 days/3 nights is about right?
Oct 10th, 2009, 04:56 PM

Kirkland is nice but be aware that getting across Lake Washington at certain times of day is a pain. Here's a list of dog-friendly hotels if you haven't made up your mind yet. http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/tr...ASeattle.shtml

You can take dogs on ferries but they have to stay in the car,IIRC. There's great hiking in the surrounding areas if you like that sort of thing. Check this site: http://www.wta.org/go-hiking.

3 nights is probably just about right if you're mostly planning to putter around. For neighborhoods, I suggest you check out West Seattle, Capitol Hill, Ballard/Shilshole, and upper Queen Anne.
Oct 11th, 2009, 07:58 AM

DebitNM~~ Certainly I know that about dogs in a city, but the OP specifically said "We need GRASS nearby" so I was trying to speak to that.
Oct 11th, 2009, 10:00 AM

First, a couple of obvious links, if you don't have them already -

http://www.petswelcome.com/
http://www.dogfriendly.com/

Next, some semi-random thoughts.

There will be two of you (plus Fido) and you'll have a car. That leads me to suggest (a) a downtown hotel might not be the best because the absence of nearby grass will be an issue, plus downtown hotels charge an arm and a leg for parking, and (b) with 2 humans in the car you can use HOV lanes on most roads (big exception is the SR 520 bridge which you'd have to use from the Woodmark - it requires 3 pax.) So staying out of downtown might not be as inconvenient as it would be otherwise, plus it would likely be cheaper. However aside from the Woodmark I can't think of any "upscale" places in the burbs that take dogs... need to think about that.

However one up-scale, in-city possibility comes to mind that's a little different from the Kimpton properties downtown (Monaco, Alexis, Vintage Park) or the W et al - the Edgewater offers the same sort of pet-friendly package as those, but it has the distinct advantage of being dog-walkable from a fair amount of grass up at Myrtle Edwards Park along the waterfront. Here's the package info:
http://www.edgewaterhotel.com/edgewa...kages.aspx#290

Note that throughout the cruise season the Edgewater is really pricey; if your 3 days are mid-week it will help enormously on the $$ front.

Another note is that the Seattle area is blessed with some excellent off-leash parks, a couple of which have water access (e.g. Magnuson Park in Seattle, Marymoor Park in Redmond) so that pent-up pets can have romp time, not just walkies. There are also, of course, numerous pet daycare and "hotel" operations, for which you'll need health certificates etc. per the norm.

And if you think Seattle is dog-friendly, just wait until you get to Vancouver. Last time I checked there were something like 40 (yes - forty) off-leash areas in that city, including a couple of beaches. Way cool.
Oct 11th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Actually, we will be with another couple (plus our dog) so we will have 4 adults--hurrah for the HOV lanes! The rates at the Edgewater are definitely much higher than the Woodmark. I doubt that our friends are willing to get into the $300+ per night category. Thanks for all of the info on the off leash parks. My husband REALLY loves to be near water, away from downtown so the Woodmark is looking better and better. I like the idea of having the same view from the Woodmark as Bill Gates!
Oct 11th, 2009, 05:10 PM

You are right, suze, didn't see the Need Grass in OP. I remove my suggestion.
Deb
Oct 12th, 2009, 06:43 AM

I always encourage people to stay downtown Seattle, well 99% of the time anyways. But not for this group. If you can get a decent price at the Woodmark, that would be IDEAL! Carillon Point (the development the hotel is located in) is very beautiful and reasonably convenient. Using 520 over the Evergreen Point floating bridge is really not that far to downtown (~10-12 miles) and will be easy especially if you can do your driving not at the peak commute times.