Southern road trip - FL/NC/TN/MS/LA

Oct 5th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Southern road trip - FL/NC/TN/MS/LA

Our youngest son is going to a camp in NC this summer, so we're thinking about picking him up and then doing a loop through the south - visiting places we're lived or have ties to that the boys have never seen or don't remember. We would start in Florida, pick Rob up about 3 hours east of Chattanooga, then stop in Chattanooga (see the Delta Queen steamship which is now a hotel there), Nashville, Tupelo MS, Jackson MS, New Orleans, then drive back to Bradenton FL. We know what we want to do/see in most of the places, but what about things to do along the way? The boys are 17, 19, and 21 - we like outdoor things, architecture, history, weird roadside attractions, and barbecue. We haven't been back to Nashville for a LONG time. We want to go to the Narrows, Percy Warner Park, Belle Meade, Rotiers, and Belle Meade Motel, Vandy, the Parthenon - what else would you suggest for teenagers? We're debating a downtown hotel vs less expensive. Also, we want to break up that loooong and boring I-10 drive - what would be a good stop?
Oct 5th, 2009, 08:20 AM

Sounds fun. May I ask how long the trip is ?
Oct 5th, 2009, 08:38 AM

The Blackwater River State Forest (near Milton, off I-10 just east of Pensacola) is "Florida's Canoe Capital". It is a beautiful place to canoe, with 3 clear, cool rivers/creeks (stained brown by tannins from the overhanging trees, so the water looks almost like tea) and white sandy beaches to pull up on for a break.

http://www.floridacanoecapital.com/

They might enjoy the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola as well.

http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/
Oct 5th, 2009, 08:39 AM

There's also the battleship USS Alabama in Mobile - the memorial park also has a submarine and aircraft to visit.

http://www.ussalabama.com/
Oct 5th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

I imagine camp would end on a Sunday, so we would have two weeks from that - maybe could add an extra day or two. Air museum would be a definite hit, as would the battleship. I should have thought of that - my in-laws just got back from a WW II battleship reunion in Mobile and really enjoyed seeing the Alabama. Blackwater River State Forest site looks really nice, too. Can you rent canoes? It's funny - I've lived in Florida half of my life, and have only driven through the Panhandle on my way to or from Mississippi. I guess we've always wanted to get out of Florida - my parents liked the NC mountains and we tend towards New England and the west.
Oct 5th, 2009, 03:12 PM

bellhouse-

I, on the other hand, grew up in the Panhandle and can count on one hand the number of times I have been south of Orlando/Cape Canaveral (and I haven't been to Orlando or the Cape that much, either)! LOL!

Yes, you can rent canoes at BRSF. There are several rental outfits, although I don't know enough about them to recommend one. It has been a LONG time since I have canoed the Blackwater, but it was really fun. You can tube there, too - or at least you used to be able to - which the boys might like as well.
Oct 5th, 2009, 05:53 PM

I would not leave out Natchez nor the Trace. How long & where are you picking him up ? There is a plethora to do in NC, that you appear to be skimming over. I'd probably skip Nashville & Tupelo ? (There is nothing in Tupelo.)
Oct 5th, 2009, 06:03 PM

SAnParis2-

The two-room house where Elvis was born is in Tupelo, as is the 5&10 where he bought his first guitar!
Oct 6th, 2009, 07:02 AM

Do you have two separate threads about this? I could have sworn I responded.

Is there a particular reason you want to stop in Jackson? There are more interesting places to stop in MS, like Natchez, Vicksburg, and Clarksdale.

Tupelo is the home of the King, so it seems obvious why you'd want to stop there. I'm not sure it warrants an overnight stop, but it does have something to see.

www.elvispresleybirthplace.com
Oct 6th, 2009, 07:05 AM

cheryllj - there are two separate threads. You and I are both on the other one!
Oct 6th, 2009, 07:13 AM

Like I said...there is nothing in Tupelo...
Oct 6th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Yes, there are two threads - I messed up the first one and didn't get it posted in all the states I meant to. Sorry for the confusion! The trip idea got it's start because the boys wanted to see our old house/neighborhood in Jackson - the younger two were born there, but only the oldest has any memories of it. My mom was born in Tupelo and I still have some very elderly relatives there, so as long as we're nearby I wanted to visit. Not long - probably just lunch, see Elvis' house if the boys want and be on our way. Jackson would be at the most a two night stop. New Orleans is because we love it and it's along the way - that would be a longer stop. Nashville because DH and I lived there for college plus 6 years. Chattanooga - it's on the way and the Delta Queen is now a hotel there and DH bartended on the DQ for a couple of years and he has never been to Rock City. That would just be a night. We're definitely doing the Trace, and would love to stop in Natchez. We have a picture of our oldest (a toddler) at Under the Hill waiting for the DQ to dock - then we "snuck" on board to look around. We're not ignoring NC - it's just that it's closer to us and we've spent more time there. Now I'll see what you said on the other thread! I'll bet someone has said to skip Tupelo!
Oct 6th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

cranachin - just mentioned our exchange to another friend from here (just south of Tampa) and she's never been to the Panhandle either - funny! When I was really little - guess Dad couldn't take much time off because he had his own business - we would go to Daytona, and we went to Gainesville for football games, to Winter Park (now swallowed by Orlando) to see my great-aunt Oh, and one time Dad my mom and me with him when he went on a buying trip to Miami and then we drove a little ways on the road/bridge down to the Keys - but that was it for traveling in Florida. DH (from Cincinnati) has seen much more of Florida than I have - spring break road trips.
Oct 12th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Cranachin - I was digging through my pile of Smithsonian magazines last night and found an article on Pensacola in the May issue! I had no idea it was settled so long ago - looks like some really nice architecture.