Seattle Breakfast Places?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be staying at the Fairmont Olympic and am looking for reasonably priced breakfast places where you can get a standard breakfast for $10 per head (or so) and is convenient to the hotel, which is located on University Street. Thanks.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 10:41 AM

I am eager to read what others have to say. The only places that come to mind near the Fairmont Olympic are the Georgian Room (in the hotel) and the resturants in two nearby hotels--Tulio and Sazerac. However, none of these places serve a "standard" breakfast for about $10.

There are many coffee shops which offer coffee, juice, and a variety of baked goods.

Your best bet is probably Sound View Cafe in the Pike Place Market, which serves breakfast all day. It is located in the heart of the entrace to the Market at 1st Avenue and Pike. The phone is 206 623-5700.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 10:55 AM

I highly recommend Crave - it is located on 1621 12th avenue in Seattle’s Capitol Hill District. Crave is the south storefront on the west side of the street in a 1917 brick building between Olive Way and Pine St.

The food is wonderful - and below $10/head - it's more than you're "standard" fare - check out the website at cravefood.com
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 11:08 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I can't think of anything off hand that is convenient to the hotel that would be open for breakfast (there are several good dinner restaurants in the area) since the hotel is basically in the business/financial district. Closest for standard breakfast I guess would be:

1- somewhere in Pike Place Market (Lowell or Athenia maybe)

2- up on Capitol Hill (Crave is an excellent suggestion, I also like Cafe Septieme on Broadway, or Coastal Kitchen on 15th)

3- or head south into Pioneer Square historic district

But maybe you could ask the concierge at the hotel this question. I'm sure they'd have a better idea.

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 11:11 AM

I have had pretty awful food at Sound View but it was a couple years ago, has that changed happytrails??

I recommend le pichet on 1st and virgina- baked eggs for about $6. Also I think that Bebas Deli on 3rd has breakfast sandwiches,etc. for very inexpensive (deli), Lola on 4th and Virgina (?) serves breakfast for $8-$15 I think. How about Le Panier in pike place for tastey pasteries and espresso??
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 02:53 PM

I’ve never eaten at the Sound View Café, but it is a busy place, it has a unique location--fabulous view, and the breakfast is bound to be “standard” and within the $10 budget.

(I interpreted "standard" to mean eggs, potatoes, bacon or sausage, hash browns, fruit juice, coffee, pan cakes, waffels, English muffins, and that sort of thing.)
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 03:02 PM

Here's the Lola breakfast menu. It's a little over $10 and not what you might call "standard", but I'm drooling with anticipation for our three night (and breakfasts) stay at the Andra in about 10 days.

http://www.tomdouglas.com/lola/breakfast.html
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 03:08 PM

Then I'll just say that when I ate at Sound View it was busy with tourists and the eggs were nasty and swimming in water from being on the hotplate too long. The toast and potatoes were cold and my silverware was dirty. Not a place I'd consider even spending $5 on personally. Generally tourist traps don't have to provide good service or food. I feel the same way about the other place, Lowells, in pike place but I have friends who like it so it is just an opinion!!!
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 04:15 PM

Funny, isn't how you can have very different experiences in the same restaurant. I've eaten at the Soundview many times over the last 15 years, and have always enjoyed it, not least because it's so far back in the market that it doesn't (or didn't then, anyway-haven't been there for about a year) get much tourist traffic. The food was usually B-, but the view was an A+.

And, I'll second Le Panier!
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 04:29 PM

Suspicions confirmed: The Pike Place Market is one big tourist trap. Best avoided, I gather. Does the same apply to Il Bistro, Matt's, Campagne, etc.?
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 04:42 PM

I heard somewhere that the Sound View Cafe doesn't serve beef or pork. Is that true?

Also, has stormygirl stirred up a tempest that will blow the Sound View Café and the Pike Place Market out of the water, or is she just letting off steam?
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 05:53 PM

She did not say the Market was a tourist trap, but that there are a (very) few restaurants in there that are. I've never eaten at either Sound View or the Athenian because I've been warned against it.
Frank, there are a number of delis downtown that cater to office workers that will serve you egg sandwiches and the like (your concierge can steer you to the nearest one), but real breakfast places are almost non-existant in that area.

There is Diner in Pioneer Square:
http://www.iheartbacon.com/index.php?id=208
That is the only "real" breakfast place that comes to mind downtown, and it's still, maybe, 7 or 8 blocks from you (but downhill!). There is also CJ's Eatery in Belltown-their breakfasts are good-just what you are looking for-but it's a bit of a walk from the 4 Seasons (2619 1st Ave).
http://cuisinenet.com/info/?v=237&/s...est/7506.shtml

Cafe Campagne and Le Pichet are fabulous but not exactly what you are looking for.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 07:14 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The Olympic is in a curious no-mans land of low-cost full cafe-type places. The Pike market district is probably the closest, save for good breakfasts that can be had at other hotels, especially the Sheraton's coffee shop, but $10 for the full bacon and eggs/juice/coffee deal may be a couple of bucks shy.

At the market I usually go for Lowell's, because you can typically see the food before it's brought to you, plus their muffins are excellent. YMMV. But by the time you've hoofed it down to the market from the Olympic you could have had two lattes and a scone at any of a dozen closer places, then wait for lunch for the protein hit.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 05:28 AM

5 years ago, i had a great breakfast at the "five spot" or "hot spot". really neat place. enjoy!
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 08:52 AM

LOL happytrails!! sometimes the market does feel that way doesn't it? But I do my shopping and eating there after the crowds leave so I try to cope!

I don't think Matts, Campagne and Il Bistro rely on the tourist market but rather on the quality of their food (although I wouldn't put Il Bistro in the same league as the others, lets say Chez Shea instead) I was just pointing out that the food I had (and the experience) was crappy.

5 Spot on Queen Anne is great for breakfast but is a cab ride away. I forgot about Diner! that is a good choice although still a bit far on 1st and Yesler?

I think we are learning that maybe a bagle and coffee at Tully's is the best bet??
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions. We'll be in Seattle over a weekend, and many of the suggestions only serve brunch on Sat. & Sun. Diner sounds like a possibility but it opens at 10am on the weekend which may be a bit late. Might try Sound View, we can do with the pork (bacon & sausage). Thanks.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 09:40 AM

happytrails... stormygirl did NOT say the Pike Place Market was "one big tourist trip", she was referring to a couple of specific tourist oriented restaurants and the (lack of) quality of their food.

Since I am local and shop at the Market on a regular basis I want to clear the air on that. Certainly there ARE a ton of tourists there this time of year which makes every-day shopping somewhat more difficult. But right now there are excellent cherries, raspberries in season from local growers which is a fantastic resource. I like the vendors who are furtherst outside the Market, they are the seasonal folks who come in with their specific specialties this time of year.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 09:43 AM

If it's Sunday brunch you want, I like Galleria's on Broadway on the Hill. A buffet of baked goods and fruits, with an entree ordered from their menu (omlettes, Mexican dishes) for $7.25. Fun place.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 03:50 PM

Re: Pike place, I just now walked along 1st Avenue heading north from the entrance of the Market. Lots of small restaurants, most with sidewalk tables, and all busy with good looking food. In order of appearance:
Cafe Mimosa
Bacco Bistro
Sonya's
Le Pichet
Virginia Inn