seating at Radio City for Rockettes

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any suggestions on seating (best/worst) for the Radio City Christmas Spectacular? Is the 2nd Mez ok, or does one need to be closer?
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 08:03 AM

We just saw this Friday night (2 kids, 2 adults) and were in the 3rd mezz, 2nd row from the back, and thought the show was fantastic. I don't know if the show would have been that much better had we been closer. It was well worth the money and I didn't hear anyone around us complaining about their seats.
Enjoy the show.
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Kathysa - it's good to have some 'experience' .. here are so many things to do/see, I don't want to spend my money all in one spot!!
How old are your kids, and what else did you do/see? We are 2 couples travelling with girls = ages 7 and 8

Any other suggestions are welcomed!

Old Nov 30th, 2008, 10:52 AM

The Music Hall has more than 6,000 seats - so 3rd mezzanine has you watching REALLY tiny figures on the stage. You can see the synchronization, but miss a lot else. I wouldn't take anything further back than the front of the first mezzanine.
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 04:01 AM

Our kids are 9 (boy) and 12 (girl). We were only there for one night and 2 days, with a goal of seeing the Museum of Natural History and the Empire State Building. We got lucky and were able to get tickets to the 9:30pm Radio City show, and that ended up being the highlight of our trip. The Museum of Natural History was cool. We spent about 4 hours there and also saw their IMAX movie about sea creatures. NYC is so exciting, just walking down 5th Ave and seeing the window displays, lights, the skaters at Rockefeller Center, etc. I should have "listened" to the advice on Fodors about doing the Top of the Rock rather than the Empire State Building. My husband and I had been to the top of the ESB 15 years ago (back when it cost less than $5). Now, it's $20 per person (a little less for kids) and after waiting an hour or so, we got to the top, looked out all 4 sides and after about 10 minutes went back down. The kids didn't seem all that thrilled, but then again, they were the ones having to wait for an opening low enough to see over. I wish we had gone at night instead. Not sure it was worth the almost $80 and have read/heard that Top of the Rock is better. The Radio City show was great. We've been to other shows at other theaters before and have had bad seats, but didn't feel we missed out on anything with our 3rd mezz seats. I suppose if we had seen the show before in closer seats, and then had these seats, we might have felt differently. The kids really liked the show and there was a family in front of us with about 4 or 5 kids and the younger ones were mesmerized (I'm guessing they were around 5-7 years old.)
Have a great trip. It's such a fun city.
(oh, the one thing we didn't do that the kids wanted to do was to go to Ellen's Stardust Diner for the triple decker pbj sandwich...we just ran out of time )
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 12:25 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I was there this weekend and afraid we might be too close. Second row. It was GREAT.

The previous time I was about 20 rows back and loved it.

I'd get tickets as close as possible.
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 12:26 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I was there this weekend and afraid we might be TOO close. Second row. It was GREAT.

The previous time I was about 20 rows back and loved it.

I'd get tickets as close as possible.