Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

What seat arrangements do you do for family travel (4) on long haul

Aug 16th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Ok - I know this is over thinking it a bit but why not we have some time and I want to do what I can to make trip comfortable.

We are 2 kids (2 year old, 5 year old) 2 adults flying to India in February.

One plane has 2 - 4-2 configuration and other has 3-4-3 (I think).

What arrangements to people like. All in one row for the middle? 2 and 2 behind each other? 3 in one row and aisle across?

I know it depends on kids etc but I am curious how people manage it. I don't have good status so I doubt I will get bulkhead (pros and cons to that - best pro of bulkhead no worrying about kids bothering people in front - only in back)

Thanks for any thoughts.

Aug 16th, 2005, 11:36 AM

From the perspective of a traveler without children who has been on planes with families like your's, I would take the 4 seats and put the kids in the two center seats with an adult on each aisle.
Aug 16th, 2005, 12:26 PM

When my sister and I were kids, our parents took us on plenty of trips. [Though not quite as young for the longhauls.]

I also say the 4-across in the middle works well. With the armrests raised, there's quite a bit of room for everybody to spread out a little.

On the Airbuses with 2-4-2 seating, then two rows on the side are also okay, if the kids don't need/want to be sitting together all the time. This way, each parent can take care of one kid.
Aug 16th, 2005, 12:40 PM

when our children were younger we always took the middle row with the four seats. With the whole row to yourself and with you in control of your row and children the people around us appreciated us alot more. The kids could always stretch out amongst us as you have the whole row. Just a more comfortable situation IMHO.
Aloha!
Aug 16th, 2005, 12:45 PM

and I was one of those other passengers that appreciated it.
Aug 16th, 2005, 01:26 PM

People with younger children will be given priority for bulkheads that are not nr exits as they can be used with sky cots etc. However, I think perhaps the bulkhead in any event would not be what you were looking for as the armrests cannot be raised. I can see the advantages of the 2 in front, 2 behind if you think either of your children might kick the person in front.

There are a couple of other places where you might want to post on this topic - the forum at www.deabirkett.com (a travel journalist who runs a travelling with children travel forum) and the Kids To Go forum at the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree - http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/
Aug 16th, 2005, 02:23 PM

With our family of 4, I always liked having 2 rows of two. That way, we could put the kids together or separate them if needed and we at least had two seats where we could control being kicked or jiggled and not have to worry about super recliners in front. Also had the benefit of two windows.
Aug 16th, 2005, 03:05 PM

We always preferred to sit two by two, with an aisle between us. The children usually sat in the center seats, the adults in the aisle seats. This gave us easy access for frequent trips to the restroom. It also worked well when the children became restless. It's hard to poke your little sister in the arm when she's sitting out of reach!