Reload this Page >

sears tower or hancock bld

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 05:54 PM
hoolia.

My husband and I are coming to Chicago for the weekend. Our time is so limited I know we can't possibly do it all. Which is better Sears tower or the John Hancock Bld. and why?

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Rich

I haven't been to the top of the Sears Tower, but I've heard that the view from the Hancock Bldg is better because it's more centrally located along Michigan Ave and therefore there's more to see. The Sears Tower is kind of more off by itself and even though you're higher, they say you can't really see as much "stuff." I went to the top of Hancock and it was really impressive -- right on the water, good view of Navy Pier, tall buildings along the Magnificent Mile, etc. I definitely wasn't disappointed.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 06:40 PM
patg

The Hancock Bldg. is better located and you won't have to sit through a movie of happy Chicago faces. But, instead of paying $8.50 a visitor just for a view, your best bet is to go to the Signature Room Bar on the 94th/95th floors around sunset and enjoy it with a drink in your hand.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 08:07 PM
gyppielou

loved the signature bar! Free, great martini and chips and salsa at a reasonable price....save the fine dining for somewhere else...Spago's or Roy's were great for me. Check out the stained glass museum on the waterfront if you're at all interested. Have fun! Also check out the Red Head Piano Bar GL

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 04:46 AM
LookOut

The Redhead is infamous for being full of cheesy middle age married guys looking to score with dimwitted female tourists. Consider yourself warned.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Owen O'Neill

Also consider trying the buffet lunch in the Signature Room - not your typical buffet and the food was very good when I tried it. IIRC it was about $12 but I'm sure it's gone up since then. Still... floor to ceiling windows on all three sides and an incredible view of downtown and the skyline. I was very disappointed with the Sears Tower but really wowed by the Hancock.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 07:34 AM
dan woodlief

I think you go to the top of the Sears Tower mostly just to say you have been to the top of the Sears Tower. You get a good view of a few sights, but the view from the Hancock Building is far superior. I went to both on the same day, so it is easy to make the comparison.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Deb

Having grown up in Chicago, I agree with all the previous posters and have one more point to make.

If you go to the Sears Tower, it's going to take up a whole afternoon, making your way over to the Loop and whatnot. There's not much around there for you to see.

The Hancock is located right on Michigan Ave, in the middle of all the shopping, right next to Water Tower. You just walk up, get in the elevator, and enjoy the view!