Search

chicago intinerary

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2003, 04:11 AM
css
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chicago intinerary

Hi. Family of 4 (12 & 14) visiting over Mem day weekend. Arriving Fri eve and leaving on Monday so have 2 full days,Sat & Sun. Planning on the Field museum, art institute, magnificant mile, speed boat tour, Sears tower. What order should we do things in, which attractions are closer to others? Figure on doing Navy Pier at night, will 2 nights there be a bore? If we have extra time are there any other cool areas to walk around, like Soho in New York? Thanks!
Old May 6th, 2003, 06:05 AM

May I suggest a visit to the Hancock in lieu of the Sears Tower? The Hancock is on Michigan Avenue, right in the middle of the Mag mile and has a better view in my opinion (apparently there is a really good view from the women's washroom). The Sears Tower really isn't close to anything.

If you are planning on seeing any of the special exhibits at the Field, Egypt, Baseball or Underground Adventure, there is a separate admission charge and you might want to reserve in advance. Take a look at the www.fnmh.org website for more info.

Personally, I think one night at Navy Pier would be enough. Perhaps you could look into Blue Man Group tickets for the second night.

If you have a nice day, I would start out at the Art Institute in the morning before it gets too crowded and then walk from there back to the Mag Mile. There are some great buildings between the two including the Tribune tower (435 N. Michigan, right near the river), which if you look carefully at has rocks from all over the world, and the Wrigley Building.

If you have a popcorn fan amongst you, stop by Garrett's Popcorn for a snack(670 N. Michigan), the cheese and carmel corn mixture is very popular.

If you wanted to do an architectural river cruise instead of the speedboat, take a look at http://www.architecture.org/river.html for more info. You pick up the boat at the corner of Michigan and Wacker.
Old May 6th, 2003, 06:24 AM

The Sears Tower and Hancock center will offer similiar views, go to which ever one you are closer to, and the bathroom thing is in a bar, not the observation deck which you will be on. The Sears tower is in the loop so it is foolish to say that it isn't near anything.

Unless your children are fairly sophisticated for their ages. I would exchange the field museum for the Museum of Science and Industry and the Art Instatute for the Schedd Aquarium.

Some nights Navy Pier has Fire Works that might be a thing you woul want to see.

An intresting neighborhood to visit is Halsted st. on the De Paul campus. Take the Red line subway north to clybourne. Start walking north on Halsted, lots of shops and restaurants.
Old May 6th, 2003, 07:44 AM

That's not much time to see the city, but if you can avoid congested areas, you can cover a fair amount. A few ideas (assuming you are staying in the North Michigan Avenue area):

On Saturday, the Memorial Day parade (at noon on State Street) will send extra traffic to Michigan Avenue south of the river. Try to avoid unless you want to see the parade.

In the mornings, take a cab, trolley or use Lake Shore Drive or Columbus to reach either Art Institute (open 10-5) or Field (open 9-5). Which ever you pick, get there at opening. Stay through lunch; the walk north from the AIC is great. The Architecture Foundation, across from the AIC, has free exhibits on Chicago; so does the Chicago Cutural Center, Michigan Ave. at Randolph St. Kids usually love the historic fragments embedded in Tribune Tower (just north of the river.)

The Hancock (Michigan Avenue at Chestnut) has great views and a restaurant/bar on the 95th/96th floors. You can get a late afternoon drink or an early dinner for not much more than the cost of the observatory ($8.95 last time I looked.) Get there before sunset. The other evening, take in Navy Pier (Sunday should be less crowded than Saturday.) Fireworks are scheduled on both nights - Sat at 10:15, Sun at 9:30.

Memorial Day itself will be really dead downtown. You might visit Oak Street (or Division St.) Beach for fun people-watching. It's at the top of Michigan Avenue. Water will be cold - about 55 degrees.
Old May 6th, 2003, 07:53 AM

The Sears Tower is not close to anything that css mentioned (about a mile from the Art Institute) whereas the Hancock is right in the middle of Michigan Avenue. And the general consensus seems to lean towards the Hancock over the Sears Tower.

I forgot to mention that a lot of people go to the 95th floor, instead of the observatory, and have a drink which is about the same price as the admission to the observatory but includes a drink. That is where you will find the women's bathroom with the great view.

Another thing you might an eye out for are the free trolleys, go to this link for a map
http://www.ci.chi.il.us/Transportation/trolleys/

The Shedd just opened a new exhibit in mid-April, Wild Reef, and is another good idea for a place to go. But it will likely be quite busy that weekend.

There are a lot of wonderful neighborhoods in Chicago. You might take a look at the Greeter website (free service) at www.chicagogreeter.com to see if you could set something up for that weekend. If you decide to go to the Museum of Science & Industry instead, you could combine that with a visit to Hyde Park which has some wonderful architecture.
Old May 6th, 2003, 08:46 AM

You don't say where you're staying.... Hopefully you have reservations somewhere downtown. I concur that your children would probably enjoy the Museum of Science and Industry over the Field Museum although it's quite a distance from the rest of the sites you mentioned. Likewise, the Shedd Aquarium would be a better choice for your children than the Art Museum unless you have a similiar resource in your own community. One night on Navy Pier should be adequate. I'd suggest doing a restaurant night at Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock Cafe, Ed Debevics, or the Rainforest Cafe followed by a movie the other evening.
Old May 6th, 2003, 08:49 AM
cd

Here's another vote for the Shedd, I think you and your children would really enjoy the dolphin show and various displays. They have a restaurant (top level is expensive but you can buy hot dogs on bottom level) and it overlooks Lake Michigan. Arrive early as the line is usually long.
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:23 PM

Kristi doesn't know what she's talking about. Sears Tower is way closer to the Art Institute than the Hancock is.

Two nights at Navy Pier is too much. Go one night for the fireworks.

The kids definitely would like the Museum of Science and Industry over the Art Institute or Field Museum.

How about Lincoln Park Zoo if you want to walk. It's free.

For a great "local" experience go to the Maxwell Street Market on Sunday morning. It's actually not on Maxwell Street anymore it's at Roosevelt Rd. and Canal St. A 5-10 minute cab ride from downtown.
Old May 8th, 2003, 08:10 PM

Good gracious peckman, even if you don't agree with me, is it really necessary to insult me? I didn't say that the Hancock was closer to the Art Institute than the Sears Tower. I said it was closer to one of the places where css wanted to visit which was the Magnificent Mile. Can you tell me any other place near the Sears Tower that is worth visiting?

Css, do yourself a favor and look up Maxwell Street Market before heading over there, I don't think it is the experience you are looking for.
Old May 9th, 2003, 10:21 AM

Kristi what you said was: "Sears Tower really isn't close to anything." which is completely false. Both the field museum and the Art institue which she wanted to see are closer to the Sears tower. The Sears Tower is also near the Chicago board of Trade, public Library, and State shopping and theaters all of which css might want to see. Why don't you post the truth rather than missleading the person who originally posted.
Old May 10th, 2003, 07:09 AM

I agree with the concensus, dont go to Navy Pier 2 nights only go one. Navy Pier is one of those places that tourists really like to go, but you really can see it all in one night

Either the Sears Tower or the Hancock will be fine to go to. If you are doing shopping on Michigan Ave, you'll be close to the Handcock if you dont go that far on Michigan Ave, Sears Tower is close as well. Make sure you go on the day where the weather is the best so you can get best view.

I personally would skip the speed boat tour, its really just a ride on the water off of Navy Pier.

With kids , Id try going to the Muesum of Science and Industry as well, its a fun place.

On Saturday or Sunday night maybe you should think about going to a baseball game? The White Sox are playing the Detroit Tigers...while not as fun as a Cubs game for tourists it might be nice if the weather cooperates.

You should also check out Buckingham Fountian at night, its really pretty (it is on Lake Shore Drive)

If you are looking for resturants or a nice little walk, perhaps you should try Little Italy. Its Taylor St. and is near the Maxwell St. Market that someone else talked about *though im not really sure if i would take kids to the Sunday Maxwell St. Market* If you walk down there be sure to check out Marios Itallian Ice...its a Chicago Favorite
Old May 11th, 2003, 09:20 PM

Kristi is obviously a soccer mom from Naperville. Have you ever been to Maxwell St. Kristi? Perfectly safe and a 12 & 14 year old would like it. My father would take me there when I was a lot younger than 12. Get a polish sausage or a pork chop sandwich, then walk around and look at the stuff for sale, do a little haggling. Maybe buy something, maybe buy nothing.

There is nothing wrong with Navy Pier and the other touristy spots. I was at Navy Pier at least ten times last summer, but some people like to get out into the neighborhoods where the real people live.

Old May 12th, 2003, 06:38 AM

Nope, not a soccer mom, nor am I from Naperville. But there's nothing wrong with either, this superiority complex people have who live in the city gets a little old.

Yes, I have been to Maxwell Street and it's the first place I would go if I needed a hubcab for my car or a stolen radio. It might even be a reasonable suggestion for someone who was interested in Chicago's history and was looking for something off the beaten path. But I wouldn't recommend it to a family who was asking about tourist sites for a very short weekend visit to Chicago. Css wasn't asking what YOU would like to do in Chicago.

I have nothing against venturing out in the neighborhoods, actually I encourage it. I have probably seen more of Chicago and the surrounding area than you have, it's hard to know since you post so little of value.

I'm done debating the two of you. But feel free to continue your arrogant, rude postings as I'm quite sure that your need to be right will require that you get the last word in.
Old May 12th, 2003, 01:27 PM

Kristi wrotequot;Yes, I have been to Maxwell Street and it's the first place I would go if I needed a hubcab for my car or a stolen radio."

Your racist attitude has no place on this board Kristi.
Old May 12th, 2003, 02:11 PM

Hi CSS, I agree with most of the comments given previously (one day at Navy Pier, Museum of Science and Industry, etc. However, I would add that if you want to see Chicago from the tallest building in the world (not counting the spires on the other "tallest" building), then go to the Sears Tower. If you've been to the Sears Tower than the Hancock is probably more convenient, but if I was 12 or 14 I would want to go the tallest building in the city.

By the way...what part of "hubcaps and stolen radios" refers to someone's race? Peck_Man, if you read race into that sentence, then maybe you are the racist on this board. Get a life.
Old May 12th, 2003, 02:55 PM

OHHHHHHHHH now don't you dare forget to get that popcorn someone mentioned. It is simply divine. A must have treat while walking through the busy city. Blue Man Group is a really neat event and you can pick up half price tickets (possibly) at the half price ticket outlets for same day shows. Check early though, no guarantees. One is located on Randolph street, close to the Cultural Center.

The Cultural Center (also corner of Mag mile and Randolph has discount coupon books etc. Not a bad first stop.

Agree with above posters, Navy Pier is only a one nighter. Ferris Wheel is the hottest thing and then fireworks. Other than that, it gets old pretty quick.

I prefer the John Hancock to the sears and when I have guest, we do drinks in the bar. Same price, better atmosphere.

And I know I'm totally going to get creamed for this but the fairly new resturant Grand Lux Cafe has the most amazing food especially the Carmel Chicken. My mouth is watering right now. It's located right on Mag Mile.

Shedd is good, but if you have been to nice aquariums, it might not seem all that. Field was little dusty and displays outdated. Science museum is cool, real hands on for kids. Don't go sliding down those handrails !!!!!!!!!!!

Most importantly, wear some comfortable shoes. If you learn how to use the CTA system, pick up your visitor 2 day cards near water tower and that saves tons of money on cabs. They give you a map and help you learn how to use the trains.
Old May 12th, 2003, 03:07 PM

Pecker is giving bad advice. If you are staying on north Michigan Avenue, the Hancock is closer. Even if you go to the Art Insitute, there is nothing to draw you across the Loop over to Sears Tower. The walk down Michigan Avenue is pleasant. Further, there is nothing near Sears Tower. bri19sp obviously must not spend much time in the Loop on weekends. It's a little creepy when no one is working. The board of trade is closed. The public library is neat from the outside, but not worth the trip if you only have two days. Inside, its a library. I am sure that you have seen books before, so take a pass. So if you want to see closed theaters and empty streets, head for the south loop on a weekend. Otherwise, stick with north michigan avenue. Also, Maxwell Street hasn't been worth going to in 30 years. I am not a soccer mom. I've lived on the southisde for 40 years. Years ago it was a vibrant community. It then became a dump and haven for petty crime. It was so bad the City closed the original market and moved it across the highway. Now it's just a relatively small flea market. The stuff for sale is cheap stuff made in China and absolute junk. Despite, Pecker's attempt to sanitize the stuff sold there, alot of it is "borrowed" from rail yards on the south and west sides or it fell off a truck. And yes, a guy selling 30 radios with no face plates and wires hanging out of the back probably did not get them at Walmart. The area to the south and near west is not that safe. I don't know where pecker is finding food there. The places that serve food stayed on the other side of the highway and have been for years. The only place close by is Manny's and its not that close. I assume you have flea markets where you are from, so I would avoid the place. If you really want to go to a flea market, there are a number of good ones in the outlying areas, but you'll have to drive. Kristi is not a soccer mom, she's only telling it like it is. Peck Man is a doofus who wants to see what's not there.
As for the suggestion that you take your 12 and 14 year old children to north Halsted, be advised that this is also known as "Boys Town." Be prepared to explain to your children why all of the "shops and restaurants" have so many male patrons holding hands.

Old May 12th, 2003, 05:04 PM

I agree with George L and Kristi.
For a family visiting Chicago for a holiday weekend, and obviously a group wishing to see the classic toursist sites, stick to north Michigan. I don't see what people like about Navy Pier, but everyone should probably go answer that question for themselves.
The Loop in a weekend? No way.
What would be the point? The word 'creepy' was well chosen.

Grand Lux Cafe is owned by the Cheesecake Factory people. Same kind of food. Not sure why they've basically re-named Cheesecake Factory and opened There's one in Las Vegas, Los Angeles and Chicago with many more set to follow.
Old May 14th, 2003, 09:42 PM
SMB

YOU GUYS! All this bickering. Egads. We here in Chicago are known for friendliness, remember? Take the kids to the ESPN Zone. Its full of virtual reality games like downhill skiing and car racing. Its just off Michigan Avenue a few blocks, but I don't know exactly where. Its fun. The grown ups can shoot hoops or watch whatever sports event is on t.v., or be a carefree goof off and race your kid on a virtual motorcycle.

As for the Sears vs. Hancock debate, pick which ever one you are nearest when you feel like going up. I have had fun going up high rises right before dark so that you can see the view in the day and then at night, if you hang around for 1/2 hour or so.
Don't forget to take a walk along the Lake front. Lincoln Park zoo is fun and right near the lake so you could do that, or you could check out the lake down by the museums. The Shedd, Field, Art Institute, and Plantarium are all right next to each other, and are on the lake. The Science and Industry is great, but it is about 6 miles south of everything else.
Finally, to settle this silly debate, Chicagoans refer to Maxwell Street as not only the street where hubcaps and miscellaneous debris were formerly sold, but also as the informal name for a hot dog stand that sells polish sausage on the near south side. I would not recommend it to tourists on their first trip here, but it is a Chicago institution guaranteed to give you a stomach ache and bad breath for at least 2 days.
Have fun. I hope you encounter plenty of friendly helpful people while you are here.