Search

Scrapbook shops!

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scrapbook shops!

I love scrapbooking and will have a lot of photos to scrap when we return from our trip! Most of my supplies originate in the USA and I can't wait to go shopping for more goodies. However, I don't have a clue where the stores are! Can anybody please tell me if they know of scrapbook places I 'mustn't miss' along our route? I'm particularly keen to get supplies which have papers, embellishments etc, which will go with the places we visit!
Route is (loosely) NYC (Manhattan) to Chicago (flying) and, by road - La Crosse - Sioux Falls - Hill City, Black Hills - Boulder - Moab - Monument Valley - Zion (Springdale) - Las Vegas - Palm Springs - San Diego - LAX.
I can't see my husband willing to search out these stores, but if I know where they are, we might just be passing their way ....
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:44 AM

Two national chains of craft stores that carry scrapbooking supplies are acmoore.com and michaels.com.

Can't halp you with "musn't miss" - since most people I know who do scrapbooking shops either chains or on-line.

I might repost or do google search on the larger cities - NYC, Chicago and San Diego for local non-chain ideas. I doubt you will find much during the middle part of your trip that you could not find elsewhere.

FYI - check TSA website to see if you can carry sharp scissors in carry-on if you bring or purchase these. Some scrap booking scissors I have seen are really sharp and pointy and the TSA might not be real happy to have these on-board.
Old May 15th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Gail, I'll check these out and do location searches.
No, you are not allowed scissors in your carry-on (I generally take a small pair, but always pack in the check-in luggage). I wouldn't be doing any scrapping on holiday, so will not take any supplies - and will not buy scissors when in the US.
Thanks again!
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:20 AM

Too bad that you aren't passing through Kansas. The Yoder Haus Scrapbooking, Quilting & Crafts Retreat might have been what you were looking for.

http://www.yoderhaus.com/

Keith
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have two don't-miss suggestions along your route:

1) Archivers is a small chain of stores which has two locations in Colorado, Denver and Westminster. Both are less than a 30 minute drive from Boulder. Do something nice for your husband cuz it's well worth the trip.

http://www.archiversonline.com/

2) Paper Source has a number of stores in Chicago. It's not specifically devoted to scrapbooking but is nirvana for anyone who loves paper.

http://www.paper-source.com
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:56 AM

A lot of the larger stores advertise in the scrapbooking magazines. Scrap and Stamp is a good example. http://scottpublications.com/ssa/
Go to the website. Click on advertising partners. Ranger Industries is a good example. On the Ranger site click on store locator. The independent retailers usually have a much larger selection than chain stores although AC Moore is a good recommendation. The independents have more made up samples that are exciting to see. Also on the magazine website check the show schedule. You might get lucky and be able to attend a scrapbooking convention. If you have a favorite scrapbook item, check the manufacturer's website for a list of retail stores. I think it's great fun to visit a store in another part of the country since sometimes you can find items the store gets for that area. I got some great rubber stamps once that a store owner had had made so they were very unique to that area.
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:23 AM
MHS

In NYC you might enjoy Tinsel Trading -- web site is http://www.tinseltrading.com/
While not actually a scrapbooking store, scrapbookers have raved about it for ribbon, etc. There really are no Scrapbook-dedicated stores in NYC (too high a rental zone). For your other areas, have you asked your question on 2Peas? You should get suggestions for non-chain stores there.
Old May 15th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Wow - thanks very much for all your replies and info! I've made careful note of everything and will do some searches for specific locations. I shan't be able to buy much (need to fly it home!), but a few 'choice' bits won't go amiss! I actually have a monthly kit sent to me from a place near Chicago, but they don't have a shop. We have loads of craft shops in the UK, but stuff is much cheaper in the US. THANKS!
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:22 PM

I am a scrapbooker too and love to go to scrapbook stores when I travel. I usually just look in the phone books in the towns I visit.

You might try
www.scrapyourtrip.com

I hope you find some shops and get some real gems!

Shadow
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Original Poster

Oh, you bad girl, shadow!

I have shopped from that online store before, but had forgotten about it. Just HAD to put in an order for $36 (+ shipping $24!) It would've been more, but I was mindful of the customs limit. That's got me started nicely - thank you!
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:08 AM

Kate's Paperie in Manhattan. Once again not really a scrapbooking store, but what fabulous paper!
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:08 AM

ScrapYourTrip is one of my favorite sites!!!! The owner was really great about getting my Cairo scrapbooking group stuff for Egypt and the Middle East. There is a lot of stuff now - but 7 years ago there was NOTHING!!!!

I do most of my shopping online and the ones I use the most are -

www.acherryontop.com and www.paperaddict.com

I try to find shops when I travel thru the US, but I usually find that ordering online is just easier.....tho not always as much fun!!!
Old May 16th, 2008, 06:45 AM

Go to http://maps.google.com and use the "Find businesses" search. You can type in "scrapbooking" in the "what" box and then enter whatever town you'll be going through. That should highlight the independent shops in the areas.
Old May 16th, 2008, 02:02 PM

Look for Hobby Lobby stores.They are general crafts store but also have a lot of scrapbooking supplies and weekly specials (coupons you can pick up in the store). They are closed on Sundays. Click on this to find a map showing their locations.
http://www.hobbylobby.com/site3/store/locations.cfm
Old May 17th, 2008, 07:15 PM

No suggestions for scrapbooking, but your itinerary sounds wonderful! Such a great mix of locations. Hope you and your husband have a wonderful time. Be sure to drive the wildlife loop in Custer State Park when you're in the Blackhills - a real treat!
Old May 18th, 2008, 09:07 AM

I agree with the suggestion for Hobby Lobby. Unfortunately there aren't on the West Coast, but I make it a point to stop in when I'm traveling. Depending on your route from Las Vegas to Palm Springs, there's a great shop in Redlands, California. www.collectivejourney.com

There's a store in Palm Desert (close to Palm Springs) that offers a pretty good selection, but I find their prices to be on the high side. www.wootensscrapbookco.com
I find that I can get better deals from ordering online or from ebay.com. But it's conveniently located if you're traveling in the Coachella Valley and might be worth popping in for a few special items.