Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Scranton, PA: any fine dining in the City?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be attending the evening performance of "Mamma Mia" on June 6, and would like to go out for a nice dinner before the show. Is there any fine dining in downtown Scranton? I know that the typical food in the region mostly runs to pizza & pierogies, but we thought maybe the city itself had attracted some more upscale restaurants at this point. I know of a couple in Clark's Summit, but were were hoping to find something decent within walking distance or a short drive of the Scranton Cultural Center.

My husband is originally from the area, but left more than 20 years ago. We are taking his disabled sister to the show and would really like to take her someplace nice. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 12:32 PM

Don't forget the Texas Hot Weiners!
No, seriously, I don't know. I can't imagine it. My brother lives in Clarks Summit, and as you said, there may be nice dining there. But Scranton??
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 12:57 PM
LN

My goodness "Momma Mia" in Scranton - what a surprise!!

Actually as someone who also grew up there (and left) many of my old friends still talk of Coopers on North Washington as having good seafood. The Ryah House in Chinchilla has really good beef. And for pizza - it's Revello's in Old Forge - for Texas Weiners - it's Coney Island off Lackawanna.

Enjoy "Momma Mia" it is GREAT!!
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

We actually saw Mamma Mia two summers ago, here in DC. It was fantastic! I'm curious how the performance will be in Scranton. We went to Cooper's for my birthday lunch last year (at my in-laws insistenc, because the birthday person gets a free lobster dinner), and frankly, it was awful. The "free lobster dinner" consisted of four very anemic-looking langostas, NOT lobster tails. Very mediocre. Based on the responses so far, it looks like Clarks Summit might be our best best. I'll still hold out hope, for a little while longer anyway!
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 02:17 PM

Oh no - don't tell me Cooper's has gone downhill! It was one of the few places I could get a decent meal in Scrantoon when I to revisit the site of my misspent youth...
How about the restaurant in the hotel that used to be the train station? Russell's on Ash Street used to get good reviews for its Italian food, is close to downtown.
Old Forge is legendary for its Italian places, not exactly close to downtown "Scran-uhn" but Aracaro & Genell's may be worth the drive.
Of course, for the quintessential Scrantonian experience, go to the Glider Diner and order the hot roast beef sandwich and fries with gravy.
BTW I now live in Texas and no one here has ever heard of a "Texas Weiner"
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 03:39 PM
LN

Johanna!

I'm sorry - I only told you what others have passed on to me - However I have eaten at the Ryah House and it was very good. Maybe a good restaurant opened in the new Hyatt Hotel.

We saw Momma Mia in Melburne, Australia and if it's the national company coming to Scranton I might come up from Annapolis to see it.

And Seamus - I've been to the Glider Diner on Providence Rd often while growing up - seems everyone still loves it.

If you find a good restaurant - do a post on it so some of us can try it!
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 04:45 PM

LN- where are you now? For years there's been a truism that you can't travel very far in any part of the country without meeting someone from Scranton (lr one of the posh suburbs like Jessup, Peckville or Archbald.)
How about Brutico's in Old Forge - is that still around? Mrs. B made some killer clam sauce!

And Johanna - we saw Mamma Mia when it first opened in the US a couple years ago (before it got to Broadway) and while I didn't expect to hate it, I was amazed and how much fun it was.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 05:50 PM
LN

Hello again Seamus

After Scranton we settled in Annapolis MD. It's a great little town - about the size that Scranton is now. It's a great place but it doesn't have the great ethnic restaurants that we were so lucky to grow up with.

I always liked Bruticos, Ghigarellis is great (lot of onion in the sauce), Arcaro & Jannell's is excellent, but Revellos always has me coming back. We've sat in there and met people from Albany, NYC, and Philly one Friday evening.

Did you go to school in Scranton?
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 06:37 AM

LN-
Oh, Revello's, yes!
I did indeed go to school in Steamtown (though we didn't call it that then - I think we referred to it as "Electric City") and in fact had as a classmate one of the Ghigiarelli family.
you can email me offline at [email protected]
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 09:23 AM

Anthony's in Old Forge was sold in the last few years and the family who bought it (also from Old Forge) have added quite a few excellent choices to their menu. Why don't you give them a try?

My hubby is origianlly from Old Forge...the pizza capitol of the world...although we did not move that far.