Williamsburg, VA Restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be in Williamsburg, VA from September 23-30 and am looking for some restaurant recommendations.

Preferences -- Steaks, BBQ, Italian, Mexican

I don't care for seafood, but wife and traveling companions do. So and seafood restaurants that might also have a good steak would be appreciated.

Also where to go for great breakfasts?

Thanks,

http://www.mikepintucson.blogspot.com/
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 02:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Mike,

For seafood with a beef option, you should give Berret's a serious look.

The Blue Talon Bistro or the Fat Canary (latter really needs a booking) are great choices. They both excel in wonderful food in a casual setting.

For BBQ you need to go to Pierce's, it's the real deal. The food is smoked behind the restaurant.

I'd like to help with breakfast but what constitutes a "great breakfast" for you?

Hope you have a great visit.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks obxgirl,

I will put those on my list.

Great breakfast to me is really just plain food cooked well:

eggs (not cooked till they are rubber)
bacon, also not cooked till it crumbles
or a nice breakfast steak
crispy hash browns or home fries
great coffee.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 02:36 PM

I like all of OBX's rec's. (not surprising!). I'm usually a "coffee & danish/ bagel" breakfast person, but I kind of liked the (try to get the name right) Capitol Pancake House & Restaurant" on Capitol Landing road. (east side, next to "Budget Motel". Look in the various "travel guides" for Wbg - almost every place has discount coupons. "Williamsburg Drug" WAS a great place, but were forced out of Merchants Sq.

I great place for moderately priced Italian - dinners, pasta, subs, pizza is "Sals by Victor" in the Williamsburg Shopping Center, at Richmond Rd & Monticello. Not fancy, but moderately priced and a favorite of students and locals. I liked the Jefferson for steak, but it's gotten too pricy for me.

A great local Mexican restaurant is on Richmond Rd not far from Applebees ... but I'm at a loss for it's name. Birdie or OBX will probably post it when they read this ... I'm glad they moved out of the old HJ hotel -- (the restaurant, not those 2 Fodor contributors)
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 07:40 PM

Although these suggestions don't necessarily correspond with your preferences, they might still be worth a shot.

First, dinner at one of the historic taverns is a unique experience, especially if your server is one who mixes anecdotes and history lessons into the meal.

Also, the Trellis in Merchant Square is famous for their decadent desserts, with Death By Chocolate being the heavy-weight (so to speak).
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 08:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Casa Maya is the name of the Mexican restaurant that rb is referring to. I like the Colonial Pancake House for breakfast. Its just over the railroad tracks from Christiana Campbells.
I also noticed that Aromas on Prince George St. has a very good breakfast menu but I haven't tried it yet.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 08:56 AM

"Casa Maya"! That's right for 200 bucks.

One of the taverns (Shields?) was converted to a coffeehouse last year and had reasonably priced food of good quality, altho it was "carry your tray to a table" type service ... "Colonial Panera"
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 12:47 PM

The Trellis brings back a great memory. Is it still owned by Marcel Desaunier? He is the chef who created the Death by Chocolate dessert. It was about 10 years ago, a very, very hot & humid August day my young daughter and I were wandering around Williamsburg dying from heatstroke and ready to faint. We stumbled into his restaurant around 3 p.m. I would have paid $100 for a glass of ice water. He seated us and realized we about ready to go into heat stroke, brought us cold drinks, some Death by Chocolate dessert and sat and talked with us for over an hour. My daughter had recognizied him from the FoodNetwork and they had a stimulating conversation about what it takes to be a chef and restauranter. She was 8 at the time and this conversation inspired her interest in cooking. We went back another night and had dinner and it was wonderful. Is the Trellis still good food?
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 03:16 PM

Barrett's Seafood in Merchant's Square.

I never leave Williamsburg without eating there once. They do have alternatives for non seafood eaters.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 03:24 PM

You'll find some people that love it and others that don't. I'll only go to eat the more casual cafe menu outside when its a beautiful evening. You can only eat so much Death by Chocolate in your lifetime.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 04:23 PM

My favorites are the Cheese Shop (great sandwiches) in the Merchant's Square area of Duke of Gloucester Street and Pierce's Barbecue. Both offer "casual" dining.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all these great selections. I am looking forward to the visit. A big part of traveling for me is eating good food.

http://mikepintucson.blogspot.com/
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 06:08 PM

Great Blog site Mike. I may be visiting Tucson this winter so I enjoyed reading your recommendations. I also like Cities Grille in Williamsburg. Interesting combinations such as steaks and crab cakes, etc.
Enjoy your visit.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the nice comment about my blog. I hope it gives you some good ideas of things to see and do when you come to Tucson.

Off to Williamsburg in 2 more hours.

http://mikepintucson.blogspot.com/