Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Eating Out in BOSTON--(Cheap eats to moderate/pricey)--Where's best to dine?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,
I'll be staying near the Prudential tower, and would love your suggestions on places to dine (includes Back Bay, Beacon Hill etc)that aren't too far from that area . Probably the furthest I would like to go is the Faneuil Hall area, unless there is an absolute 'must dine' place that you love...

I used to love Marche (gone), Cappuccino's (gone), great cafe in Beacon Hill (name escapes me but it's gone)(oh and I hate hate hate Finale so fyi if someone is thinking of going there)...
I'd love to gain a new repertoire of place to go to that you experts could recommend to me.

I would appreciate your recommendations on good places for a quick/nice breakfast (definately has to be near the Pru for that one), nice lunch or quick lunch, inexpensive to moderate dinners, cafes, afternoon tea places, and general fun lively places maybe with some music as well.

The cuisine I would appreciate at these places would be 'new American'/eclectic, American, continental, Italian, English, Irish, French, Brazilian, Cuban, Seafood. Not interested in steakhouses, chinese, mexican or Indian.

I greatly look forward to your wonderful insight on where is best to dine in the Boston area. Thanks for your help!!!!

Old Jul 26th, 2006, 12:44 PM

Trident Booksellers on Newbury Street in between Hereford St and Mass Ave has a fun atmosphere and a great menu for breakfast. Or lunch.

I love Sonsie for lunch.

Match is fun, more for the younger hip crowd but it's pitch is "burgers and martinis". An odd mix, but they have a great menu and everything I've eaten there has been delicious. www.matchbackbay.com

Would you be willing to head downtown? There's a fantastic Italian place in the Ladder District (in between Downtown Crossing and the Theatre District called Ivy. I've been there at least a dozen times since it opened earlier this year and I continue to ooh and ahh over my meals.

The Butcher Shop is great for pre-dinner drinks, but not sure if that's up your alley...

Have you been to Franklin Cafe? Comfort-ish food, but fantastic atmosphere and always a great meal.

I'll try to think of more stuff..
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 01:56 PM

The Pour House at 907 Boylston is great for breakfast; inexpensive and good. Interesting place. Also, for happy hour. pourhouseboston.com
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great advice.
Any more Fodorites like to add some of their faves?
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 05:00 PM

I'm still looking for some feedback from all the great Fodorite info you received on your DC trip and Old Town Alexandria. What did you do, what did you see, what worked for you? Did you take the boat? How did that work out for you? What restaurants did you pick? Where did you stay? What did you think, yada, yada, yada.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 08:40 PM

LesZygomates is fun and they have music and a nice bar and great food - you can check it out on leszygomates.com - you'd have to take the T, or a cab, but it's worth it.

I like Parish Cafe on Boylston St for lunch, as well as Sonsie's on Newbury for any meal and the same for Stephanie's on Newbury although I like their lunches and dinners better than their brunch.

In the North End we like Piccolo Nido, reasonable, excellent food, on North St and then walk up to Hanover where it is usually busy and hopping nad you can find a spot for coffee/dessert - it's not that much further than the Faneuil Hall area -

In the South End we like Hammersley's Bistro, Aquitane and for great cupcakes, (as well as bagels, etc) the South End Buttery. But mostly the cupcakes.

Old Jul 31st, 2006, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for more great input!

Hey Budman, thanks for caring! I didn't realize anyone was interested in my trip. Be glad to share--though it may take a bit to put it together for you.

I would love to find a place similar to D.C.'s Clyde's or Ebbits Grill in Boston...Is there anything like that?
Would also enjoy finding a nice Sunday Brunch place...
I will be sure to check out some of your recommendations--thanks again!
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 09:24 AM

I second Parish Cafe, Pour House, and Zygomates (although Zygomates isn't really convenient to you or anything else, for that matter). Also, check out Ivy (tapas style Italian, near the Common).

Although not a cuban restaurant, Pressed (in Cambridge and in the Financial District) has a good Cuban sandwich. Midwest Grill in Cambridge for Brazilian - I haven't been, but someone in my office takes off for two hour lunches to go there with a client - he might say it is a must dine.... Bomboa - near you, also Brazilian. Kind of a fun scene in the evening and close to where you will be. Good mojitos if I remember correctly, but it's been awhile since I've been there and I had a few of them....

Would recommend Elephant Walk in Brookline. If you are willing to go to Faneuil Hall, Elephant Walk in Brookline is probably closer and just a quick hop on the T. A great place! French/Cambodian. Right off the St. Mary's T stop on the C line.

Sunday brunch - Brasserie Jo.

Don't know if these will work for you, as I love Finale, so our tastes may not be aligned....
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Wow, can'tstayathome, what a wealth of info! Thanks for taking the time to share with me. As far as finale, well I do hate it, I had a very bad experience there. But I'm sure you have wonderful taste and I look forward to looking into some of the places you've mentioned.
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 09:54 AM

Cantstayhome and other Boston posters, is the Houndstooth still around? It was on Beacon Hill a thousand years ago when I was in school.
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 10:44 AM

Hope you have a great time, Lotrhp! Sorry you had a bad experience at Finale - I think it can happen, especially if it's a busy night! If you are an ice cream fan, definitely hit JP Licks, though - there is one at the end of Newbury Street, near Mass. Ave.

cmc - I've never heard of the Houndstooth, and I'm sorry to report that my colleague (who has lived on the hill since the mid 70s) does not know of it, either. I wouldn't dream of asking when you were here, but I will ask what school you were attending....
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 11:03 AM

I was there 1969-76 working for the John Hancock and going to Suffolk Law (72-76)
Loved the Houndstooth. It was a tiny place with great food and a gorgeous little patio. Very romantic and not terribly expensive.
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 11:32 AM

cmcfong - Suffolk Law '92!
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 12:55 PM

cmc - where was the Houndstooth - remember what street? Don't know if I can talk to you now, knowing you went to Suffolk - I'm a NESL girl (formerly Portia)! Do think you might be out of luck, though....

Lotrhp - another place in the South End that I heard about today, but have not tried (but am trying soon) is Stella - they have a website. Just search for "Boston restaurant Stella" and you should find it.

Also, don't know when you are coming, but Restaurant Week is coming up. It seems to be 2 weeks, now, though. Aug. 13-18 and 20-25. Lots of prix fixe menus at a number of restaurants. $20.06 for lunch/$30.06 for dinner. More info on www.BostonUSA.com/RestaurantWeek. Have a great trip and some good eats!
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 03:00 PM

I recommend Silvertone on Bromfield downtown (between Common and Washington). Good comfort food and not pricey.
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 04:55 PM

You did not mention Thai, Brown Sugar on Com Ave. is memorable (they have 2 locations). I live in NY and I have never had better Thai food
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 06:35 PM

Talk about cheapo in Boston we discovered Pico on Tremont Street near Hammesleys.. and next door to that is Two Brothers on the other end.. Pico has great oven baked pizza ad homemade ice cream..Listed in Boston Globe a one of the least expensive places
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 06:38 PM

Hi Bennie! Cantstayhome, we are joined by our love of courts and Bermuda...so no school rivalries!
I cannot for the life of me remember what street the Houndstooth was on, but I loved it. Sitting in that garden with my then favorite person was truly one of the most romantic times of my life. Ah sweet memories.....
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 05:49 AM

Parrish is great for lunch, I agree with that suggestion. I always forget about that place for some reason!

I live very close to Les Zygomates and would certainly recommend it, but again, it's downtown right near South Station, so I'm not sure if you want to head that way.

I've never heard of Houndstooth either, but now I'm intrigued!
Hammersley's is one of my absolute favorite places to go in Boston, I always have a great meal there.

Something similar to Clyde's - I've been to the one in Georgetown a few times - I'd say maybe the dining room of Sonsie would fit the bill.

Sunday brunch - the South End has a bunch of options, from pajama brunch at Tremont 647, or the Metropolis, or Aquitaine, or Bob the Chef's jazz brunch, or the Creperie (is that still open?)... or for something more casual, Charlie's in the South End or the Paris Creperie in Beacon Hill is great.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:10 AM

Also if you venture to walk in the South End, a nice Boston neighborhood area around Hammersley's/ Aquitaine - you can eat a meal at Garden of Eden which is nice, outdoor and indoor tables, not pricey, and THEN stroll down past union prk straight across and down to Shawmut Ave where the Buttery is and get those cupcakes ! Or also they have a great California BLT and some other sandwiches, bagels, etc - if you feel like a neighborhood experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -