save on hotel in Savannah around Christmas time

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling from DC to the Charleston (25, 26) and Savannah (27, 28) in around Christmas time. We love to walk and I like to take any possible tours (not my husband and 8 years old daughter) and we hate shopping during vacation. We also prefer the casual meals, may be one nice dinner.
We have reservations in historic Charleston and I am trying to save some money for hotel in Savannah. Should we go for the historic Savannah and stay in Days Inn (historic area) for about $85 a night or better stay in Middletown for less and walk or use a bus?
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Travelpositively

Understand that Days Inn is a VERY modest motel, not at all up-scale, but in terms of location, and for $95 a night, it's the best deal in Savannah. Just be sure it's the Days Inn on West Bay, a block from the river and West Congress. Hampton Inn, Hyatt, etc. may have a better pedigree, per some, but for families on a budget, Days Inn is just about perfect. Enjoy Savannah.

Old Dec 15th, 2004, 09:40 AM

The Days Inn is not quite as centrally located as some of the other hotels - and certainly not as picturesque location - while it is closer to the bridge over Savannah River (an especially beautiful bridge), it also is on very edge of historic district and closer to creepy areas and especially ugly SCAD dorms. (A lot of parents of SCAD students like to stay there for that reason). Don't know cost comparisons, but for bigger hotels, we like Hampton Inn. Not a horrible hotel or location, though - so if price is important, should be OK.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Travelpositively

Hampton is two blocks down Bay from Days Inn. Close. Each is on the edge of the HD. It's not just SCAD parents who stay there. And it's not some ugly location either. As I said, DI doesn't enjoy the Hapmton Inn predigree, or Hyatt, but is a third or fourth the price, and is actually a very nice place in an excellent locations .... just as close to the HD as Hampton, Hyatt, etc. Just consult a map.

Old Dec 15th, 2004, 11:10 AM
OO

18 out of 21 reviews on Tripadvisor for Days Inn Historic District were negative, some scathing.

Hampton Inn will cost $100-130/night depending on your room, and is a new hotel. It's 4 blocks, not 2, from the Days Inn, and squarely in the middle of the east to west breadth of the district. As you enjoy walking, either hotel is fine from that standpoint. You absolutely would not walk from Midtown--too far first, and secondly, you have to travel through an unsafe area to get into the historic district. Bus system from midtown in is inconvenient, so If you don't have a car I wouldn't consider staying outside the historic district.

You might also look at the Mulberry Inn--don't know what their rates are, but they shouldn't be too high--it's a Holiday Inn, but not your run of the mill HI, and located adjacent to a nice square.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Travelson

Days Inn on Bay is on a rather nice (albeit) busy street, same street as Hyatt and Hampton, and only a few blocks away, in a very safe section of the town. There is no crime in that area. It is in fact just across the street from the hyper touristy places by the river, so it must be safe. DI is in fact on the edge of the HD and only a block or so from West Congress where some of the area's nicer restaurants and bars are located. We checked with SCAD and they recommend it for their parents and students, which tells you it's a decent and safe motel. Now, it's not Hyatt or Hampton Inn, and of course a lot less expensive. We've always found the managers and staff to be first-rate and friendly, and at that price, DI simply cannot be beat. It's amazing anyone would slam DI, so many people have enjoyed it and others in the chain. In any event, hope you enjoy Savannah, it's a great city that we've enjoyed many, many times.

Old Dec 15th, 2004, 11:38 AM
OO

Heads up hope_t. Travelson and travelpositively are the same person--who has now unregistered both those names.

Travelson/travelpositively/blacktie etc etc etc...you do the people who come here looking for good information a HUGE disservice with this game! I can say one thing about your Days Inn information that is positive. I do know you, and know that you have stayed there at least once, so in all fairness, let's make the tally for Days Inn 4 positive out of 22, rather than 3 out of 21.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Travelson

Wow, apparently someone yet to catch the holiday spirit. What ails this person! Since I definitely am less than thrilled, after trying to aid you, lets allow him have the last word, shall we. Enjoy Savannah, it really is a good town, and if you choose HI, that will be just fine.

Old Dec 15th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Everyone! Thank you for response. I am really taken out Middletown from my mind. I don’t mind to stay in DI. A few weeks ago I found bed reviews on Tripadvisor for DI in Williamsburg, but I book it anyway because it was the closest hotel to the college dorm for our older daughter. It was OK.
As Travelson mention there are a nice (more local ?) restaurants on the other side, which we will love it to try.
In Charleston we will stay in Hampton Inn Historic district. And I was hopping to save some $ in Savannah.