savannah vs. tucson trip choice

Sep 30th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

savannah vs. tucson trip choice

This option just became available for me.
Since I've never been to the South, except New Orleans and Florida, I'm leaning strongly towards Savannah. I went to Scottsdale about a year ago and really enjoyed it, along with Sedona - never did make it to the Tucson area though. I could go to Tucson in early December and stay at the new J.W. Marriott Star Pass Resort & Spa, or go to Savannah in early March and stay at the Hyatt along the riverfront. Any opinions from you seasoned travellers? Unless I hear convincing arguements otherwise, I'll probably stick with my Savannah choice.
Sep 30th, 2005, 07:03 PM

Based on what you've said, I'd choose Savannah. The Hyatt isn't my favorite there though.
Sep 30th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

to starsville: Since I'll be attending a conference which is headquartered at the Hyatt, I probably won't have other options, unless they're very close by.
Sep 30th, 2005, 07:56 PM

There are several options very nearby. There are Fodorites that like the Hyatt - and dear OO lived there. Maybe after the renovation, my opinion will change.
Sep 30th, 2005, 08:33 PM

I believe the Hyatt renovations was finished this summer..at least they were due to be finished then.

I have been to Tucson ( family there) but not to that spa.. and to Savannah, I would choose Savannah.
Unless you live somewhere thatmakes winter in Az sound more appealing.
Sep 30th, 2005, 08:34 PM

"was finished"...ugh, I never preview and end up sounding like a dunce LOL
were finished...
Oct 1st, 2005, 05:17 AM

Both cities are rather unique but I would probably pick Savannah if you have the option to attend a conference in either location. Tucson is difficult to get around unless you rent a car. But, if you did rent one, the scenery is beautiful. Saguaro Nat'l Park, Sabino Canyon, the Desert Museum etc are all interesting. Savannah, on the other hand, is a very walkable city with great shopping, historic homes and gardens.

Good luck with your choice!
Oct 1st, 2005, 06:34 PM

I lived in Beaufort, SC for two years, 45 minutes away from Savannah, visting there once a month at least. I'd pick Tucson. Savannah is just, how can I say, "tired"? I kept wanting to like it, but never could...

I hate to speak negatively about a place, but every time I took visting family there, their reaction was "this is it?". The waterfront occupied no more than 30 minutes of interest, and the garden squares were pretty, but once you've seen two, the enthusiasm diminishes. There are some good restaurants, but surely Tucson has good eats, too.

Save your trip to the South for a destination like Charleston, Mobile or Atlanta.
Oct 2nd, 2005, 07:24 AM
OO

I just saw pictures of the Hyatt's renovated rooms and was shocked! The bed at least, and it looks like a good portion of the rest of the room, is identical to the renovation we did at the Grand Hyatt Tampa. That was our design...head board, duvet (identical fabric even), throws, pillows (both number and shapes), the whole shebang. They've changed the color scheme in pillows, drapes and carpeting, but otherwise it's identical. It was so successful in Tampa, met with such rave reviews, they've started implementing it in a number of other Hyatts. Oddly...I feel very possessive of the design and it annoys me that everyone is copying...like having a dress made especially for you which you love then suddenly seeing it on every Thomasina, Dickatta, and Harietta! San Antonio copied it as well...at least they got their own version of a headboard. I do wish DH could get a percentage from all the hotels they've used his design in! LOL

It does look nice though. According to this article (in Lodging Magazine) the rooms are done and restaurant and ballroom nearing completion. The coffee shop will now be a cyber cafe and they've added the VU Loungs "a trendy new hot spot with an outdoor terrace with seating along River Street". I'd love to see the finished product! We still think about retiring there. It is definitely in the running.

PS...as to the real question here...I'd go to Savannah. It is so unique as a southern city...not a thing like New Orleans, and March is a great time of year to go. Early March the flowers should be just starting...if you can push your stay back until about the 3rd week of March you'll be in for an incredible display...Savannah at her absolute best!
Oct 2nd, 2005, 07:43 AM
OO

miller...just read your reply and naturally disagree, but certainly Savannah isn't for everyone. It is not party central. The real Savannah is quiet, and it's away from River St. It's charm is in the squares--each radically different from the other so I don't understand the boredom with the squares comment--and the beautiful architecture amidst all the oaks dripping with moss, forming a shady canopy over the streets. If you don't enjoy that sort of thing, then no, you probably would not enjoy the city. River Street is an unfortunate development in a very small area of the historic district IMHO...taking a beautiful historic area and throwing in the tackiest of stores, but that is the least of what Savannah is all about. Not one of the best or even better restaurants is located there.

Other areas of the city away from the historic district worth seeing: Fort Pulaski, Bonaventure Cemetery (incredibly beautiful, even in March), and the Bluff areas south of town near Isle of Hope. I'm not a big fan of Tybee Island, Savannah's beach area 20 minutes to the east, but if you are beach deprived and needing an ocean fix...it's there for you.

I love AZ...our daughter and SIL live in Phoenix and we visit each Thanksgiving, but my favorite sections are the areas you've seen already--Sedona, Grand Canyon etc, rather than south to Tucson. If you are a city person, that might be more to your liking...LOL...Savannah is certainly no Scottsdale, but each has their place in areas that can be thoroughly enjoyed.
Oct 2nd, 2005, 09:02 AM

Miller, you and I went to two totally different Savannahs!
We were there for a 3 day weekend and there still was not enough time. We walked everywhere (from the Hyatt) and only skimmed the surface. We never did leave the Historic area, there were so many galleries and historic houses that we wanted to see..the restaurants were so good, it was difficult to choose. The shops were very nice although there are a fair share of cheesy tourist places along River Street so watch out for those.
We went to the Museum and a great bookstore whose name always skips my mind--that was fun, browsing ..it is within one of the old homes.
There are numerous carriage ride tours and ghost walk tours..
mrace, good luck with choosing
Oct 2nd, 2005, 02:41 PM

AAAAwwwwww Scarlett~
Doncha have a little soft spot for
Tucson ?

R5
Oct 2nd, 2005, 05:02 PM

LOL razzle, since I was born there, I do have the tiniest soft spot for Tucson.
Oct 3rd, 2005, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

So far, sounds like you guys prefer Savannah ( 4 to 1 )! I guess I'll stick to my original choice. Thanks for your advice and suggestions.
Oct 3rd, 2005, 05:00 PM
Pausanias

bite it!

Oct 3rd, 2005, 05:01 PM
Pausanias

Oops -- above post a failed html experiment. sorry

Oct 3rd, 2005, 07:47 PM

LOL Pausanias, times like this make you wish Fodors had a personal delete button, don't they ?
Oct 4th, 2005, 06:45 AM

If I were to choose Savannah I would probably opt for one of the many B & B's rather than the Hyatt. As far as the trips go, make it easy on yourself & do both.