Bright Angel Lodge Room or Thunderbird?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those that have traveled to the Grand Canyon, which would you pick? All adults traveling just for one night at the canyon. Apparently the cabins at the Bright Angel are all gone!
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 09:46 AM

Hands down, the Bright Angel Lodge. The lodges are steps away from the cabins and you could not beat the location!
I stayed there last October and was very pleased.
We had a private toilet and sink, but had to share a shower, so remember flip flops!
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 11:15 AM
emd

twobluecats, not only are we going to be in sedona at same time, but we are also doing one night at GC that week, so we can hike and see the sunrise at GC on my son's birthday.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

The Gods must be smiling upon us, EMD! I'm really looking forward to this trip--I suspect the Grand Canyon must be mesmerizing with a dust of snow. Who knows, maybe we'll get just enough to be pretty but not too much to hinder travel!
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 04:25 PM

We stayed at Thunderbird and loved it. It's modern, clean, pretty decor (tiled bathrooms, etc), and the canyon is steps from the door. Very convenient. The only negative was that you had to check in at Bright Angel lodge and park the car there. There's very limited parking at Thunderbird, so unloading the car was the only drawback. It doesn't have the rustic charm of Bright Angel but we enjoyed it very much.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 04:40 PM
emd

I think part of this depends on your bedding needs also- even one night w/teens makes a difference in that area. We have my husband, me and two teenagers. I tried today for rooms available on night of Dec 29th and got either two $55 rooms at Bright Angel (no canyon view) with a double bed in each (not good for us) having to have a shared shower, or rooms at Kachina with two queens in each room, full bath, small fridge, etc. and renovated in 2004, streetside. I went with the two Kachina rooms because there is no way we can be comfortable w/a male teen and female teen in two rooms w/a double bed in each. And Kachina, like Thunderbird, is fairly close to the rim, close enough to walk over- right?
So I am not sure Bright Angel is the best if all you get is a double bed in each room and you have two teens, which I think you do...and there are no roll aways.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 03:50 AM
emd

Are you going to have dinner at El Tovar? I called yesterday to make reservations for son's birthday night and was told to call back one month before the date I want to have dinner....
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 03:55 AM

The GC with a dusting of snow is absolutely gorgeous. We were there for spring break a few years ago and I took a full roll of film the day it snowed. Another roll the next day when the skies cleared a bit. And, then another roll when the sun came out the last day in the park.

Over 100 shots of the canyon with snow sprinkled on the layers of rock...talk about all pictures looking the same!

But, it was spectacular in person.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

There's actually five adults on this trip--me, hubby, mom, dad, and grandma. I've got a partial rim-view cabin booked with a queen bed (for hubby and I), and a lodge room with a queen and a single, 3/4 bath booked for mom, dad, and grandma. I'm hoping another cabin opens up, but if not, then we'll be okay where we're at!

I am hoping for a bit of snow-but clear roads and views! Not asking for much, huh?