Charleston and Savannah

Search

Charleston and Savannah

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2016, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charleston and Savannah

My mother and I will be traveling to Charleston and Savannah in the Spring. My brothers and I gave her the trip for Christmas. She is going to be 75 this year and is in relatively good shape. We have never traveled to Charleston or Savannah but they have been on her bucket list for some time. She loves gardens and historical homes. After researching air fare, we will most likely fly in and out of Charleston. I have a few questions regarding our plans.
Are both locations doable in a 5 day period? Or should we plan on longer?
Suggetions on itineraries?
Any advantages between late March or early April?
Suggestions for hotels in both cities?
Any other useful info is appreciated!
Old Jan 3rd, 2016, 07:35 AM

Since it has been about 7 years since I have been to either city, I will leave specifics to others.

Easter is 3/27 - I might go after since early April so many things are in bloom. Five days is fine - I would do 3 in Charleston and 2 in Savannah. Definitely stay away from week of St Patricks Day as Savannah has a huge parade and drunken celebration - unless your mother is into that sort of thing.

The "safe" area of Savannah has expanded a bit since I was last there. But be careful where you stay and walk - as it has that strange crime thing I find in several smaller southern US cities - that there is often only a block or 2 between a nice historic area and a high crime and gang activity area.

One other thing about Savannah. The area by the River has old cobblestones, and walking on them can be a challenge for even younger, able-footed people. Wear good shoes.
Old Jan 3rd, 2016, 07:36 AM

Ask for the Senior rate. Excellent location, great breakfast and happy hour. Nicely decorated rooms, very clean.

http://www.indigoinn.com/
Old Jan 4th, 2016, 05:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We stay at the harbourviewcharleston.com that is quite nice.

In Savannah, it's about 80 to 90 miles away and while 2 days works, 3 days for me would be preferable.

Besides the waterfront, there are 17 historic squares to visit and walking is the way to go. Certainly driving is OK.

As Gail mentioned, St Paddies Day could have a half million visitors. A good time to avoid.
Old Jan 4th, 2016, 06:27 AM

Have been to Charleston once and Savannah 7 or 8 times. Love them both but just feel at home in Savannah. Both can be seen in five days. Most people prefer Charleston and will tell you to spend the extra day there. Can't go wrong with either especially if you like gardens and historic homes. I love strolling the squares in Savannah, and be sure to see John the Baptist catholic church it is breathtaking.

http://savannahcathedral.org/

Yes, getting to River street can be challenging but there is an elevator by the Hyatt Regency hotel.
Old Jan 4th, 2016, 06:39 AM

Try to watch the movie, "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" before you visit Savanah.
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 01:36 PM

Hi kdj3206

I agree with Gail. Five days will be good to get a taste of Charleston and Savannah (although you could have fun with longer too).

Since you say your mother is in good shape and loves gardens/historic homes, she will be in heaven in both cities I suspect. The Owens-Thomas House and Isaiah Davenport House I quite enjoyed in Savannah. The Nathaniel Russell and Aiken-Rhett House I found quite interesting in Charleston. If you have a nice day, I would highly recommend taking the National Park Services' ferry out to Fort Sumter. Plan on trying some of the terrific Low Country food while there; I quite liked Hominy Grill and Husk in Charleston as well as Belfort's and Boar's Head in Savannah, although there are many terrific options in both cities!

I liked the location and ambience of the two hotels I stayed in: the Vendue in Charleston and the 1790 Inn in Savannah. Read reviews to see if they appeal to you.

I'm sure you'll have a great time! Best wishes, Daniel
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 03:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi kdj; Having been to both cities, I think with a 75 YO mother, you may want to slow down and smell the roses.

First it is a 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive each way to Savannah.

But it's only my thought, as I am a mover, but more enjoy relaxing while enjoying the sights.

What is most important is, how your mother feels and how she wants to move around.

That's the clue, talk to mom and see what she thinks, because you have a lot of suggestions.