keeping kosher on a cruise to alaska

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2015, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also i am thinking about going on a cruise to Alaska in the spring/summer. has anyone here gone that keeps strictly kosher? what cruise line do you suggest and why? (We are not going on a kosher cruise for reasons that don't need to be discussed here please don't try to convince me to do that) in case it matters it would just be me and my husband. thanks
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 02:25 PM

You can avoid the obvious - pork, shellfish, dairy with meat etc but how are you going to deal with dishes, pots and pans etc which will be treyf?? For someone seriously kosher, I just don't see how this will work...
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 02:40 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Didn't take a whole lot of research... http://cruiseline.com/advice/how-to-...er-on-a-cruise
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 06:22 PM

We are not going on a kosher cruise for reasons that don't need to be discussed here please don't try to convince me to do that.

We aren't into giving silly suggestions like that. Here is a description of kosher meals on Carnival Cruise Line: http://www.cruisin.me/info/carnival-...her-dining.php

HTtY
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd like to convince you to go on the Kosher Kruise.
There was a very nice bris milah every morning and the crew got to keep the tips.
Old Dec 30th, 2015, 08:41 AM

DebitNM, people do this all the time and many cruise lines make provision with pre delivered double wrapped meals which are delivered at port. No biggie at all.
Old Dec 30th, 2015, 10:03 AM

You can certainly order kosher meals on virtually all cruise lines (and you can always order foods that would otherwise be acceptable to those keeping kosher), but they may not be prepared in a strictly kosher kitchen, and you won't get any fresh food. It's all going to be frozen and reheated. To me, this wouldn't be a great experience.
Old Dec 30th, 2015, 12:12 PM

I understand that the food can be kosher. I was referring to kasrut(h) laws beyond food; from gardyloo's link there appears to be only one line that has an actual separate kosher kitchen as well as the necessary dishes, pots etc.

For a strictly kosher person - once that kosher double wrapped meal hit a non kosher plate, or get heated in a non kosher microwave, it's not kosher anymore.
Old Dec 31st, 2015, 05:28 AM

To me, this wouldn't be a great experience.

I live this delicate wording.

HTtY
Old Dec 31st, 2015, 06:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So it isnt kosher anymore and just exactly how is somebody doing to KNOW that?
Old Dec 31st, 2015, 08:14 PM

I don't know if this works on a cruise, but a friend of mine used to take a lot of cucumbers and yogurt with her when she traveled cross country on the train.

HTtY
Old Dec 31st, 2015, 09:51 PM

I am not familiar with kosher cruises to Alasks but friends have taken a kosher cruises to Carribean where entire cruise ship was kosher. IIRC, this might have also been at Pesach. Let me know & I will ask for more info.
Old Jan 1st, 2016, 08:24 AM

Some friends o fours looked into this - asking a bunch of folks at their temple. They found only the kosher cruises really followed all of the requirements.
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 03:58 AM

So it isnt kosher anymore and just exactly how is somebody doing to KNOW that?

How respectful. Says a lot.
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 04:36 AM

Presumably passengers actually on the cruise were able to determine how the food was actually handled (cooked, plated, etc) while on board. Why should that not be possible?
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 11:23 AM

nytraveler - it's not! as a few I know who only do kosher regardless whether a cruise or land holiday - once at destination (on board) ask to and always granted the opportunity to speak and visit with whomever is in charge of the kitchens. They've never been denied and see what is being prepared, how, also served/plated and anything else that is of importance. So besides advice at pre-boarding/ reservation time, do what is needed once on board.
Old Jan 4th, 2016, 06:18 AM

When the cruise line knows there are kosher passengers on board, they kasher the microwave in which the meals are reheated. That's the easy part. But the problem is that it's going to be logistically impossible to guarantee that all utensils, dishes, etc. are kosher. (Hint: They aren't regardless of what the line might say.) Whether or not this is acceptable is a question for your rabbi. Anyone strictly observing dietary laws of any religion is going to run into problems in a non-orthodox environment, which is why most strictly kosher cruise passengers only travel on full-ship charters that have been prepared under rabbinical supervision.
Old Jan 4th, 2016, 08:45 AM

Yes, but the problem is that once you are on board if they really aren;t prepared to do it properly you may be stuck with food that has become non-kosher.

I have no personal experience with this but my friends are orthodox and obviously keep kosher - and they reported hearing about problems on general cruises from friends who were promised food would be kosher but then when on board found out it wasn't. (Apparently the kitchen staff just did not understand how to keep the food kosher.) They advised my friends to do only kosher cruises.

I don't think the problem is that cruises are doing this deliberately (except those who say guests must reheat their own food) but that they - and esp the kitchen staff who actually reheats and plates the food are not trained in the proper procedures.
Old Jan 4th, 2016, 10:21 AM

This was years ago, but my brother's meals on Royal Caribbean were just brought to him wrapped in foil, they were heated that way which was fine. I think any cruise line will do Kosher. Of course, you'll want to triple check, right up to when you get on board, get ahold of the dining director immediately and be sure your meals are on board. B'chatzlecha.
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to the two people who gave me links to look at.
I appreciate all the advice-just to clarify for those wondering if an individual chooses to keep kosher on a cruise you need to order special kosher meals for your "main food" and then you can see what else might be acceptable depending on your level of observance-things such as fruit vegetables packaged goods...
from what i understand cruise lines vary in their food offerings and their willingness to let you see packages to check the kosher status. I will continue to look at the above two links and google to see if their are any other similar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -