Charleston or Savannah?

Search

Charleston or Savannah?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2007, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charleston or Savannah?

We will be in the Beaufort SC area in April and want to take a day trip to either Charleston or Savannah. Which do you prefer?
We are interested in strolling around, a little shopping, some historical sites and a nice lunch.
Thanks!
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 10:33 AM

Hi, we visited Charleston and Savannah from the UK in 2003. Although we loved both, Savannah was our favourite. We took a Riverboat trip and it was very interesting looking around the dock area with all the quaint shops. Downtown Savannah was just as I had imagined it - lovely houses and gardens. Some great restaurants on River Street too. We were spoilt for choice.

Hope you enjoy your day trip.

Dot
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 10:36 AM

Both are very interesting, but for a partial day like that, I think Charleston is more rewarding. You can literally cover the entire historic area in a nice walk. Savannah is a spread out historic area, with less concentration of the "main stuff" interspersed with lots of newer development as well.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 10:51 AM

I have been to both several times in the last few years, and if you only have one day, I'd say do Charleston. I find that there is much more of virtually everything. (While in Beaufort, don't miss seeing the beach on Hunting Island State Park, even if only for an hour: http://www.huntingisland.com/)
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 11:25 AM
GoTravel

Charleston is better shopping, dining, and attractions but they are about even on the architectual and historical front.

My personal preference is Charleston.

However, Beaufort is much much closer to Savannah so my pick would be Savannah unless you are planning on spending the night.

Old Jan 21st, 2007, 11:28 AM

I'll vote for Savannah. It's about an one hour trip. Charleston would be about 1/2 hour longer.

April is a great time to visit either city. The Azaleas should still be putting on a great show and a stoll through Savannah squares is a treat!

If you are planning on Saturday, April 7th, that will be a First Saturday Festival on River Street.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 12:15 PM

Yes.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 12:22 PM

Charleston has more sights to see. But since you are going for only one day, I recommend going to Savannah instead. Savannah is a shorter trip from Beaufort, and has enough sights to occupy you for the short time you will be there.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 05:56 PM

I think Charleston is well worth the extra .5 hour drive each way. My opinion is that the architecture is more interesting, the gardens then should be lovely, the historic area has a more "neigbhorhood" feel, the basket weaving is interesting, the food is good....I just don't think the two are a toss up.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 06:11 PM

My fiance & I just visited both cities and while we liked both, we just fell in love with Savannah.

The historical district there is just gorgeous and is totally walk-able, the people are lovely & there is plenty to do in the way of house/garden tours, art museums, little local places to eat dinner/lunch, etc. So charming! We definitely plan on going back

Charleston was lovely as well, but IMO we found it to be a lot more touristy than Savannah. But again, it depends what you're going to see and what sort of a "feel" you're looking for!

If you're really into shopping then Charleston is probably a better choice because they have bigger chain-type stores like Saks, Ralph Lauren, Brookstone, etc. etc.