savannah/please help/need advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2003, 01:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi.we are 2 people from norway, who is going to savannah for 3 days..we are driving from nashville to brirmingham,alabama, and from there to savannah,georgia.(how long time does it take from birmingham,alabama??)is 3 days ok. we have no plans what to see or do,just eat well, have some beer, and see the town. where to stay?, thinking about safety,and location.any good pubs etc, to go out to have some beers?.going from savannah to south carolina after that, where we will spend a few days, before we fly up to nyc, and then home.thanks for all help.
Old May 9th, 2003, 04:13 AM
OliveOyl

Anywhere you stay in the historic district would be OK. There are all levels of hotels to choose from, from Days Inns, Hampton Inns, to Hyatt, Marriott, and Westin. There are also B&B's and that might be best, depending on your budget. My two favorites are Foley House, and Ballastone. Those are probably the most expensive option, but a nice experience.

Pubs...there are a couple of real pubs in the historic district. One of the favorites is Kevin Barry on River Street, just to the west of the Hyatt. Another is 6 Pence on Bull Street. In City Market, Malones was always popular.

Take a trolley tour to acclimate yourselves to the city, then go back and walk it and enjoy it all slowly. The squares are beautiful and each one is different from the other. As long as you stay within the historic district you are fine during the day, but you should stick to more populated areas at night. Under any circumstances you are probably OK, but, "things can happen", so it's best not to walk quieter neighborhoods at night. Stick to the River Street or City Market area at night and you will be fine.

If you do a text search under "savannah", you'll find a ton of information on things to see and places to eat. You've left plenty of time to see it all thoroughly. Have a terrific trip!

Old May 9th, 2003, 05:54 AM

We spent a week in your beautiful country two summers ago, so I'll try to return the favor........

The US interstate highway system allows you to travel at a consistant speed of 110+ kilometers per hour even through the mountains. You would be able to drive from Birmingham to Savannah easily in one day. The question then becomes one of where to stop along the way. Atlanta, Georgia is an interesting city with many historic sites from the American Civil War period as well as many other offerings. Driving in and around Atlanta can be very taxing, but you will have already dealt with traffic in Nashville and Birmingham. You might want to get off the interstate for a day and take a look at the back country. Plains, Georgia is the hometown of former president Jimmy Carter. Although it has become more commercialized due to the fame brought to it by Carter, you could get a feel for small southern towns on your drive down and back to the interstate.

OliveOyl has given you great advise about Savannah. I would suggest that you post similiar requests under separate headings for Birmingham, Atlanta, South Carolina, and NYC if you have not already done so! You're going to see some very diverse parts of America. Enjoy your trip!
Old May 9th, 2003, 07:45 AM
E

I suggest you try to read some (or all, if time permits) of John Berendt's "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" before you go to Savannah--it's a very atmospheric true story about the city, and I think it would enhance your experience. Enjoy!
Old May 11th, 2003, 10:59 PM
Original Poster

hi. thanks for all the info..maybe we shall not take the interstate from birmingham down to savannah, but try to look at the back country, that sounds very intresting, but then we have to stay on night in a small southern town, any suggestions???, i have already posted similar requests on birmingham, but the people there said 3 days is to much, so maybe 1 day in lynchburg is ok, just to see the home of jack daniels, and jim beam.i have been 6-7 times in the us, most of the time in nyc, but last time we drove up to boston, and from there up to montreal, where we had 4 days before we drove back to nyc, and it was a great trip.i have always wanted to see the south, and this time im gonna do it, think its great down there.is it a good idea to drive from birmingham to savannah, and end the trip in atlanta,(is 2 days ok?), before we fly up to nyc, and then home??.
(retired teacher: where in norway have you been?, glad you like it.)
Old May 12th, 2003, 10:18 AM
GoTravel

Rent the following movies to get a good idea of Charleston and Savannah. Bagger Vance, Forest Gump, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, The Prince of Tides.

Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 08:35 AM

Sorry that I didn't check back for follow-up, but I've been on vacation. To answer your first question: Oslo, Lillehammer, Geirangerfjord, Bergen, the Flam Railroad, and the Trollstigen which prompted my comments about driving our Interstate Highway System in the mountains.

Atlanta is an airport hub, so you could certainly return your rental car there and fly back to NYC. Another thought, however. Since Savanah is so close to the Flordia border, you might want to continue on south for a look at the Atlantic beaches rather than doubling back on yourself in Georgia? Orlando would also be an airport hub and while I am not advocating a trip to Disney World, you might check out Cape Kennedy before departing?

As I'm from the Mid-West, I can be of no assistance as to where to stay in downstate Georgia. I expect that there would be tourist accommodations in Plains due to the Carter fame and most likely in the larger towns of Americus, or Albany nearby. Since your trip seems to have a focus on alcoholic beverages, did you know that former President Jimmy Carter's brother formed a beer company during the Carter presidency. You can no longer buy Billy Beer, but you can get plenty of peanuts to go with the beer you purchase in Plains Georgia. Have a safe trip, while experiencing America's diversity!

Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 11:27 AM

We're from England and have just returned from touring around the deep South and stayed at a beautiful B&B in Svannah. email address is [email protected]. You should aim to lose about 10lbs bodyweight before visiting, because you will put at least that on with Southern cooking. Have a great time, we did.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 11:55 AM

Savannah is a great city and there are many great places to stay - the Hyatt is right on the waterfront and often has specials. If you stay on the riverfront, make sure you sample some pralines from River Market Sweets, they are unique to the South - made with brown sugar and pecans. Don't miss the Pirate House, a 200 year old restaurant not too far from there. It is pretty touristy, but the pecan crusted fried chicken is not to be missed. Try to have lunch at Mrs. Jones' boardinghouse, also traditional Southern cooking. If you want to go, get there early, the line is very long. You might want to drive another 2 hours from there to Charleston, SC, also an old Southern city with lots of history and compare and contrast with Savannah.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 09:48 PM

Regarding above post - I believe it is Mrs. WILKES Boardinghouse and she dies this past November. I believe restaurant is still closed with future plans uncertain.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 04:39 AM
OliveOyl

It is Mrs Wilkes...and it's on Jones St. We keep hearing rumors that her family, who was running it at her death, are going to reopen but nothing definitive so far. Anyone been in the past couple of months who can say?

Also, it's River Street Sweets, not River Market Sweets. Yummy, but dangerous stuff in there, and it's fun to watch the candy being made.

The Hyatt, our former home, IS still on the river though, and still alive and kicking. We had a corner suite with patio that faced north and east, looking out at the river and south on River St. In our 4 years living there I absolutely never got tired of watching the river traffic. It was a terrific 4 years!

Old Jun 4th, 2003, 06:48 AM
GoTravel

What a great place to live OO! I love that Hyatt and have so many pleasant memories there! What years were you there?

Old Jun 4th, 2003, 08:38 AM
OliveOyl

GoTravel, You sure can't beat that location! (I mis-spoke by the way when I said we looked north on the river and south on River St...should have said east on River St). We could stand in our patio on the top floor and look over the side to all the goings on on River St, and each 4th of July had a staff party there...the fireworks were shot off from a barge in the river right by the hotel, and the Savannah Symphony played on the Plaza in River St below. Terrific time and we have lots of fond memories too. Glad you do as well.

We were there from 1992 to 1996 so were in on some of the very exciting times in the city...the production of the movie, Forrest Gump, and the publication of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil as well as lesser known events such as the Forsyth Park wedding of the Snapple czar to a local girl..an extravaganza so outre that it was covered by Vanity Fair, and also one of the times I saw John Berendt standing as an onlooker like the rest of us getting a glimpse of invited guests such as Ted Danson and Mary Steenburgen! It was a big time for the city being "discovered" by the rest of the world and they were so proud of their new status. On returns visits we both got the feeling though, that they perhaps had begun to take it (tourism) for granted to some degree. Squares weren't quite as nicely kept up. Hope it isn't a trend as it was certainly a hefty part of the town's bread and butter and if appearances are allowed to slip, so will interest in visiting!

Old Jun 4th, 2003, 09:11 AM
GoTravel

What great memories! Attended a trade show there in 1997 or so and a girlfriend and I came down a couple of days early. We met some locals and the next thing we knew, we were sitting in a bar with a judge, fire chief, police chief, surgeon, and two dentists as well as the guy that owned the bar. Certainly had our bases covered!

Thanks for sharing your memories!

Old Jun 4th, 2003, 12:00 PM

There are many, many B&B's in Savannah. When making a selection of lodging I would suggest you try to get as close to the Savannah River as possible, and in the middle of the district
(east to west) The historic down town is very large and most is residential. Even being in the historic area you could be a good distance from the action. The Hyatt is kind of a beacon for the downtown River Street area but the Hampton Inn (and suites) across the street is nice, I would stay one of the nicer Hamptons I've seen.
Definitely plan on doing a trolley tour, or walking tour (perhaps a ghost tour at night-silly but fun)to really see the area. Savannah is known for its history. I've been many times and just can't get enough.
To be honest I don't really see much fun in staying in some of the small towns along the way on your drive over from Birmingham. My suggestion would be to stay in Atlanta in Buckhead, and in Augusta if you want to use those days you had planned for driving.
Amelia Island, which is about 2.5 hours south of Savannah (in FL) would be a nice side trip (beautiful beaches nice quaint town), as would Cumberland Island GA, (total nature experience- must ferry over no cars allowed) which is about 2 hours or so south of Savannah.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 04:35 PM

I am from Savannah and all of this is pretty good advice...I would definately watch the movies they have suggested. Especially Midnight. I would take a trolly tour and definately a walking ghost tour through Savannah Walks Inc. As for food..The Crab Shack (On the way to Tybee Beach) is the best shell fish in the area. Also The Lady and Sons is the best for southern homecooking but get a reservation a couple of days before you plan to dine..as for pubs..Kevin Barry's on River St. O'Connells on Congress St. Mercury Lounge on Congress. The Bar Bar in City Market..Also Malones is a great sports bar w/ live music in the courtyard and My personal favorite...The Rail Pub. If you like guiness and darts it is the place to be. I am a bartender on Tybee beach..if you make it out that way stop at the grill beachside..we have a deck where you can eat and drink literally right next to the beach...enjoy..post if you have more specific questions
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 04:39 PM

^ my name is kevin by the way. More on food...Il Pasticcio is a great Italian place as well as Garribaldi's
Since everyone is talking about Jimmy Carter..you can go to Pinkie Masters Bar. On Drayton Street. This is where Jimmy Carter danced on the bar after being nominated or something like that
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 06:41 PM

We stayed at Hampton Inn 2 months ago - very nice, fantastic views from rooftop pool area, buffet breakfast is included. Walking distance to historic district.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 05:40 PM

Hi
We just got back from Savannah 6/9 and absolutely loved it. We ate at Mrs. Wilkes. They have reopened.
We also loved Lady and Sons. We geto the cookbook and tried some of the recipes. They came out great!
We also went to the Sixpence,and Churchills pubs. Loved them!!
I'm addicted to the book Midnight in the Garden of good and evil. When taking pictures of the Adler's house, Mrs. Adler came by and talked to us for a few minutes. How fun!
I know it is not Southern food but we also ate at the Casbah and had a good time and some good food.
We stayed at the Ballastone and although pricey it was excellent and we were treated like royalty. The inkeepers as well as the staff are wonderful, friendly and ready to meet your every need even before you ask.
The inn is just beautiful and the food is great!
I can not say enough about how wonderful we thought Savannah was.
Enjoy your trip! We are planning to return next year!