Search

Savannah hotels for trip with Mom

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2006, 09:23 AM
wj1
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Savannah hotels for trip with Mom

Next spring, my mother and I will take a week long trip to Savannah and Charleston. We'll be spending four nights in each city. Right now we are focusing on Savannah and would like some help with choosing where to stay and hopefully some of you can help.

Here's what we are looking for: We definitely need two beds. It would be great if we could have two bathrooms but that's not likely to happen. The larger the room the better so we can each try to have some space. My mother likes to walk but may not be able to walk miles and miles because of hip surgeries so we want a convenient neighborhood. While we will have a car, we would like to keep it parked if we can. We want to make sure we are in a safe neighborhood that is preferably near restaurants that we can walk to or is otherwise easy to catch a cab from. We don't need to stay somewhere with loads of romance (since my husband will be at home) but we would still like a place with some Southern charm. We would prefer not to spend over $150 a night each ($300 combined). And in case I didn't mention it, we want to stay in the historic district and prefer some place that's not too noisy. So, are we asking for too much?

I've done some research and here are the places that contain two beds:

Azlea Inn (the carriage house)
Forsyth Park Inn
Gastonian
Marshall House
Mulberry Inn
Park Avenue Manor (no 2-bedded rooms but rooms are only $130 so we could each get one.)
Planters Inn

And then of course there are the chains: Hampton Inn and Hilton DeSoto.

I would really appreciate any insight you can give me about these places, particularly the location. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 09:31 AM

All of these places have been mentioned here before - so you could get info by doing search. If you want standard hotel, Hampton Inn has served us very well on multiple visits - rooms are on the large side, and I know have 2 queen beds. Parking is in their lower garage or public lot/garage across the street. Location is great.

River Street (one block, but down/up hill or stairs) has many restaurants, but the really popular Savannah eateries are not that close.

Another option, since it seems you each really want your space (as my mother and I do when we travel together) is to bid on Priceline for 2 rooms in Historic District.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 09:37 AM

I just spent last weekend in Savannah with my own daughter....we stayed at the Hampton Inn, historic district. It was a great location, right across the street from the shops and restaurants on the river, however, it was a bit noisy. The hotel was fine...the staff was really friendly, but I thought it was a bit pricey ($170.00) a night for what we got...king sized bed...stained carpeting...less than squeaky clean bathroom. We did see the Planters Inn while walking, and thought it was beautiful and in a great area. After all the hype about Savannah, I was myself, a bit disappointed, however the visit was enjoyable, though I don't plan on returning there.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 09:41 AM
wj1
Original Poster

Thanks Gail.

I have done some research but I haven't really been able to figure out much about what really is the desirable location given issues about my mom and walking. Any of these places would probably work if I were going with my husband since we're both walkers and wouldn't really mind walking for 20 mintues to get to the beginning of a walking tour. But that isn't the situation with my mother.

The part you mentioned about restaurants is interesting. I think you're saying that we would want to drive or taxi to the better restaurants no matter where we are staying. Did I get that right?
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 12:06 PM

Check out this map for the addresses of the places you named.

http://www.savcvb.com/savannah/maps/downtown.shtml

The distance from the Savannah River at the top, to the Forsyth Park is about one mile. Most of the restaurants can be found near Bull and Abercorn Streets, north of Liberty or on River Street.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 12:45 PM

I liked the Mulberry Inn a lot. The rooms were nice, the service was good and the restaurant was perfectly fine for breakfast.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 12:46 PM

I should say that I've also stayed at the Planters Inn and also found it to be nice. Maybe a smaller room -- hard to remember now. Definitely a smaller hotel. Breakfast was included (at that time).
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 01:44 PM
syd

I just stayed at the Azalea Inn last month, and given your criteria, I don't think it would be your best choice.

You may also want to consider one of the apartment type places:

www.luxurylivingsavannah.com/
www.suitesonlafayette.com/

I haven't stayed at either of these places, but think it's a great concept and certainly would consider it in the future. I walked past the Suites on Lafayette and thought the location to be quite good. It would be helpful to hear from anyone who has stayed at such a property.

Old Apr 28th, 2006, 02:05 PM
wj1
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

Syd, just curious--why do you think the Azalea Inn wouldn't work for us? Location or something else? We were thinking of the Carriage House which consists of two rooms sharing a bath. That was starting to be the lead contender so I really would appreciate your thoughts.

I previously looked at the suites you mentioned when I thought my sister might be joining us but then rejected them once it became clear that there were only two of us going on this trip. I'm thinking that it would probably be preferable to have a front desk and food available. As you said, it would be helpful if we could have some reviews from people who've stayed there. I've looked for them but have never found them.

What do you think of the area around Forsyth Park? I'm beginning to think that the the river area isn't where we will want to spend our time and it seems like there are a number of nice places in that area.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 04:17 PM

You might want to go to the CAT website and print the free trolley map, then select lodging within steps of one of the stop - and also near a stop for the hop on/hop off trolleys.

If the weather is nice, just phone Savannah Pedi-Cab from your cell phone 912-232-7900. Rates are reasonable and they'll collect you within 5-15 minutes (in the spring). A fabulous way to enjoy the scenery along your ride!

Note that the Hyatt is splendidly located with a free trolley and hop on/hop off stop just outside the entrance, AND an elevator from Bay to River Street. From there it's a short walk to the many nice riverfront restaurants or City Market (and they have nice complimentary snacks during happy hour of the lovely outdoor deck with fabulous views of river street and across the river).

You might want to check the events calendar when scheduling your dates. Rates during St. Patrick's Day week or Tour of Homes and Gardens will be significantly higher than the week before or after. Of course, that's also when the gorgeous azaleas are in full bloom all over (usually) and we thought it was worth the extra.

Planters Inn is near trolley stops and on the fabulous Reynolds Square. Next door is Planters Tavern below The Pink House (where you can order off the same menu, just appetizers, salads, dessert...if you like. Highly recommend a visit there for enjoying Gail Thurmond on piano.

Forsythe Park is a bit out of the way, but you can still get around easily with the free trolley, Pedicab, etc. Savannah is not that large.

On the other hand, if you want to walk, print a map of Savannah, highlight your preferred restaurants and other destinations, then select the most convenient accommodations.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 04:33 PM

For me, the problem with the Azalea Inn would be the location. It's at the southern end of the Historic District. That's a lot of walking back and forth. I think that with your Mother's hip problem, you would be wise to try for something closer to the central part of the HD. The Gastonian would be ideal. The Hilton is in a good location as is the Hampton.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 04:34 PM

When checking Savannah hotel rates, also check their daily parking rate which could be an additional $12.00-$16.00 per day.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 04:36 PM

One other thing about Savannah (and Charleston if you decide on a short trip there as well). Some areas have beautiful cobblestone and other stone sidewalks and even side streets - killers on those wearing heels or those whose balance is not that great. Also, can be more fatiguing than smooth pavement.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 05:28 AM
syd

wj1,

About the Azalea Inn, my opinion is mostly about the location. I wouldn't say that the immediate area is all that charming. And it was quite a trek to restaurants. I realize you can take a cab or pedicab, but Savannah is such a beautiful place to take even a short stroll. I don't think I would stay there again.

While the Forsyth Park Inn is at the same general end of town, the park just across the street is so much more inviting and lovely. And at least there is a restaurant and nice rooftop bar on site if you don't want to wander. I didn't see their rooms, but the place looked very nice.

I hope this helps. By the way I loved Savannah. The restaurants were fabulous and the flowers in the springtime are so beautiful.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 11:57 AM

I've stayed at the President's Quarters twice, and they might have some rooms that would work for you. I know there are some rooms with 2 beds, but I think all the rooms have 1 bathroom. I believe there are rooms on the ground floor, along with some other rooms/suites across the street from the actual B&B that are on street level. They do have an elevator too, so that would help your mom. The website has pictures of all the rooms, along with rates (www.presidentsquarters.com). There is free parking here as well.

I enjoyed staying here b/c they will bring breakfast to your room each morning, rather than your having to get dressed and go eat with strangers (but that's just me!). The french toast was wonderful, as was the blueberry bread!

Off the top of my head, I cannot remember what square this B&B is located at, but I believe it kind of comes mid-way between the river area and Forsyth Park. My husband and I walked to restaurants from there, but it might be too much for your mom. Anyway, just wanted to suggest it so you could at least have another option.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 12:35 PM

Just another word - I love Savannah, and our son is in college there. Recently there has been either an increase in random street crime or greater publicity of the same - unclear which. Not saying it is like downtown Baghdad, but the city appears so quaint and beautiful that it is easy to get lulled into a false sense of security. As I read on some college security page, it is a small city that can act like a big city regarding crime - just take the same precautions you would take in any city and you will be fine. For example, I would not go wandering thru the squares alone after dark.