Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

In a quandry over where to stay in Savannah in May

Feb 4th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Will be in Savannah for a couple of days in May with my mom, then heading to Charleston. I have probably over researched where to stay, and what type of accommodations, so much that I'm totally confused now. I typically stay in 4 or 5 star hotels when traveling, but want to experience the "flavor" of Savannah, so want either a very nice B&B, or an historic inn/hotel. Need room with 2 beds, full or queen. As we are women traveling alone, safety is a factor. Traveling with a senior citizen will slow me down a bit, too, so I would like to be centrally located. Would like suggestions from those of you Savannah veterans please!
Feb 4th, 2011, 10:12 AM

I prefer staying on the river.
Feb 4th, 2011, 12:11 PM

I do too. The Bohemian is nice as is the Four Points Sheraton.
Feb 4th, 2011, 12:24 PM

My favorite hotel used to be the Hampton on Bay Street and now it's the Staybridge Suites nearby. Neither are historic but are in buildings that are built to look historic. I like them for their amentities, modern rooms with soundproofing, easy parking and free breakfasts. If you want "historic" then try the East Bay Inn and/or the Planters Inn very close to the first two. All are within a block of my favorite restaurant, the Pink House. Bay Street is one street up from the river. I've stopped staying on the river due to noise issues.

I think the ones I listed above have the best location. There's a new crop of hotels a few blocks down on Bay that are new and nice. I'd choose from the Avia or the Bohemian - although neither are historic.

If you want a B&B and you are used to 4-5* then look at the Ballastone, the Gastonian or the Kehoe. If you want an option a bit less expensive, try the Eliza Thompson house.

Any of the above would be nice and would be safe for two women.

If you are traveling with a senior citizen, be warned that the cobblestones on River Street are a challenge to walk on. I rarely even go to River Street - and only with a tourist. A short walk there is enough for me. The beauty of Savannah is strolling the squares - IMO anyway. I posted earlier about a new tour I tried, Savannah Rambles. He was GREAT and has a tour that requires less walking. Get an overview of the city via a trolley or carriage tour and call a pedicab if y'all get tired and want a ride back to the hotel.
Feb 4th, 2011, 01:00 PM

We're going to Savannah (and then Charleston) the end of April and we're staying at Planters Inn.

I hope it's a good choice.
Feb 4th, 2011, 01:36 PM

Planter's Inn just made Conde Nast Traveller magazine's World's Best list. It's a great choice.
Feb 4th, 2011, 01:46 PM

We loved our stay at the Ballastone Inn in the Historic District, but I'm not sure they have any rooms with two beds. You might want to check it out. They have an elevator. We're not 21 anymore and got along fine there. Breakfast is included, there is afternoon tea, hors doeurves and after dinner goodies. The staff was wonderful and it is convenient to many places of interest.

www. ballatoneinn.com
Feb 4th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Giovanna, the Ballastone has one two bed room, but they are only twins, and already booked for part of our stay anyway. Maybe I'll bring my husband back and stay there some time, as it sounds wonderful! Thanks to the rest of you for the recommendations. I will look into all mentioned. That's good to know about the cobblestone streets, as my mom does have some walking issues. Thanks for that tip.
I have looked up the Planters Inn, and it does sound like a great location, and a nice historic venue (although I think it might be the Planters Inn in Charleston that made Conde Nast list. Are they related in any way?) Will check on East Bay as well.
Myer, sounds like we are following in your footsteps, so please post about your trip when you return. How many days are you doing in each place?
Feb 5th, 2011, 06:56 AM

I would stay at Planters Inn and eat dinner at The Pink House, Noble Fare and Local 11 Ten. Local has a great rooftop bar.
Feb 5th, 2011, 06:12 PM

stonemama,
We'll be in Savannah for about 2 1/2 days and Charleston most of 3 days.

We'll be in between for a day when we'll probably visit Beaufort and a couple of plantations. Hilton Head is a posibility but it depends how the timing looks.

April 28 - May 4.

Charleston has something called a Heritage Passport that includes just about everything we'd be interested in seeing. The problem is we'll most likely visit a couple of plantations before we get to Charleston and you buy the passport at the visitors' center.

To solve that problem I managed to find somebody at the visitors' center who'll arrange for me to buy it in advance by phone and have it mailed.
Feb 6th, 2011, 09:11 AM

Sorry the Ballastone didn't work out for you stonemama. I hope you and your husband will plan to stay there, and that you will enjoy it as much as we did.
Feb 6th, 2011, 04:46 PM

bookmarking
Feb 6th, 2011, 06:19 PM

There are loads of great places to stay.
But, my choice would be Staybridge Suites. Why?
I like what starrs likes--the source of many good tips.

HTTY
Feb 6th, 2011, 07:21 PM

I've stayed at the Hampton Inn, Staybridge Suites and what used to be the Days Inn. Of the three we liked Staybridge Suites the best. We had a mix up with one of our rooms and they fixed it right away.

We stayed at the Planters Inn in Charleston and really enjoyed our stay there. The management was very helpful with storing our bicycles and went out of their way to make us feel at home.

We are going back to Savannah in April and are trying the River Street Inn. DH loves to watch the water and the ships going by. I hope we aren't disappointed.
Feb 7th, 2011, 04:16 AM

Why thank you, HTTY
Feb 7th, 2011, 11:13 AM

We stayed at Mansion on Forsyth Park (got a great rate through TravelZoo) with my senior parents (at the time, parents were 70 & 78); we took a walking tour which they both loved, had dinners at Local 11 Ten & Noble Fare (our favorite) & took a long walk down to the river area. This hotel is on the far edge of the historic district, but we didn't mind; it might be different if your mom has limited mobility. I'd love to try the Ballastone next time we're in Savannah too!
Mar 25th, 2011, 04:38 PM

Planter's Inn has great reviews. View from some rooms is a parking lot but all I want is to sleep, bath and dress in one basically. I have booked with them for the end of May. Using their website, early bird booking is 20% off, better than any cheap hotel wesite aids. 45 days is considered early bird though......good luck and enjoy your stay, and your Mom!
Apr 1st, 2011, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Romeow, I currently have Planter's Inn reserved as well. The only real problems I seem to read about are uncomfortable beds, and the view/noise of the parking garage. Location seems to be fabulous. mouseRD, I originally wanted to stay at the Mansion on Forsyth Park, but the more I read, I was a little worried about the distance to other places. I'm just afraid it might be a little too far for my mom. As for those of you who love the Staybridge Suites, my one concern is that it is a smoking hotel. I can't deal with a smoking room at all, and sometimes it seems that even "non-smoking" rooms smell. Thoughts on that? It does still have rooms available at a lower rate than most places. Also, wondering if Bay Street is noisy? Though the river would give a beautiful view I'm sure, I have read other posts saying that River Street is noisy til the wee hours. Thanks for all your very helpful replies!
Apr 1st, 2011, 06:01 PM

stonemama, you can use Google Maps to "see" where the hotels are. Enter "Savannah Ga", then directions and then enter "Planter's Inn" and "Staybridge Suites". They (and the Hampton Inn that's on the corner between them) are all in a great location.

The Planter's Inn is on Reynolds Square - on the same side of the block as the Pink House. The short side faces the square and I've never had a room overlooking the square/park. That means the long side of the hotel faces the street - and across the narrow side street is a parking GARAGE. So the "view" from most rooms are of a parking garage. Not very scenic but there's no problem with noise - that I've ever experienced anyway. I'm pretty sure the garage is locked overnight but can't imagine why it would produce noise.

The Mansion at Forsyth Park IS lovely but it IS very far away. Too far away for me. Now, you may want to consider their new sister property, the Bohemian, on the river. It's at the end of River Street with a great roof top bar overlooking the river. I don't think there would be much problem (if any) noise from people partying on River Street.

Staying at the River Street Inn can be very noisy - especially from the bar at the corner on the ground floor (river street). People (and teens on skateboards on the cobblestones) can create a lot of noise. The views are great though.

One option that hasn't been mentioned is the Hyatt overlooking the river. The rooms are well-insulated so noise should not be a problem. And most of the rooms have a great view of the river. There's an elevator down to River Street - but also a public elevator outside of it so your mom wouldn't have to take the steep stairs (whether you stay at the Hyatt or not).

I don't think you'd have ANY problems with a smoking smell at the Staybridge Suites. It's the newest hotel of the bunch, very well maintained. I didn't know they had smoking rooms, but I would be shocked if there were any smoking smells in or near the non-smoking rooms. Call the hotel and discuss them with it directly. IMO the Staybridge Suites would be the LEAST likely hotel to have bad smells.

If you look at Google maps, you'll see that 1/2 the rooms overlook the trees and park with the river behind. The other 1/2 (back side of the hotel) overlook a small gravel parking lot (hotel parking). I've never had a problem with Bay Street being noisy - and certainly not noisier than the majority of the hotels in Savannah.

The Hampton Inn is on the corner and has a swimmming pool on the roof. Their parking is in a 2 level parking garage underneath the hotel (with overflow parking in a garage across the street). I've been in rooms there with great views on the river. The other rooms don't (have views of the river).

I'm not sure if that helps or not, but smoking smells at the Staybridge Suites would not be a concern. I'm not aware that the other hotels are completely non-smoking.