Notices

Savannah around Christmas at a resort

Old Nov 11th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Savannah around Christmas at a resort

I saw the other post for Savannah at Christmas but we are looking to stay in a more resort type setting. We would like to do more sport related activities. Can you fish that time of year or is it too cold? Also, when is the crab and shrimp season there? Any other suggestions for outdoors activities? The kids won't want to do much in the way of historic tours so we are more interested in experiencing the outdoors and great food.

Old Nov 19th, 2005, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

topping
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 07:19 AM

I'm thinking you are not getting responses because Savannah is generally thought of as a destination for history, beauty, ghosts, etc. Myrtle Beach area might have more in way of what you are looking for - but weather in December would not make me want to go on sport fishing boat - temperatures can go down to about freezing at night and warm up to 50s or even 60s during day, but not much more. It can be colder or warmer, obviously.

Savannah is not actually on coast, but on Savannah River which is about 20 minutes or so from ocean.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 07:55 AM

ydoc, I live 90 miles below Savannah on an island. I love Savannah for it's history and beauty, but if your interest are more for beach sports, I think someplace in North Fla. might be better for you. Why don't you look up the web site for Fernandia Beach? As much as I'd like to welcome you to GA., I think Fla might offer more of what you want.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 09:30 AM

Savannah is not known as a "Resort" destination. The Westin Hotel terms itself as one since it has a swimming pool and a golf course. But that's about it.

The water is too cold for crabbing.

Wrong time of year for shrimping even if you had a dock to shrimp from.

Very few public docks for fishing. There are some good charter boats for going out into deep water. Remember that Savannah and Tybee Beach are tide waters and the fishing depends a lot on the tides.

So unless you like golfing, there is not much sport oriented activities in Savannah and surrounding areas.

I agree that your best bet would be farther on down the coast into Florida.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 10:22 AM

Just thought of Hilton Head. It'd be just for the beaches, I guess as Alleen679 said it's not the time of year for shrimping and crabs. Here on St. Simons there is always someone out on the pier with a fishing pole. For a resort type accommodations, you'd need to look at Sea Island. Just across a small bridge but pretty expensive.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 12:21 PM

Look at Amelia Island or Sea Island- they'd be a better holiday choice with kids who don't particularly like lots of history.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I have always wanted to go to Savannah. We were supposed to go look at a gated community called "The Landings". It has two marinas with a sailing club for my husband and I believe six golf courses for me and my son. We were going to go down there for six or seven days right after Christmas but I'm beginning to think it might not be such a good idea to go now especially with our thirteen year old. I have been tossing so many ideas for a destination to visit over the Christmas school break, first it was Texas. Then it was Arizona. Then it was South Carolina where I have a friend in Charleston and Kiawah Island. My intention was to visit a milder climate destination in hopes of possibly having a second home or at least frequent in the winters in the future. We live in the midwest currently.
But I wanted to thank you for all the feedback as I now have a better idea about Savannah. I think we will schedule a trip possibly in the late spring.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 12:57 PM

Spring is THE time to visit Savannah. From the last part of March to the last of April, it is a feast for the eyes.

Since your husband sails and you play golf, the Landings would be an ideal place for your family. There's not another place that would give you both as conveniently. There are places there that would be available for fishing and crabbing too at the proper times.

Is your 13 year old a boy? If so, he would most likely like to visit Fort Pulaski. It's a fantasic place but it might be cold and miserable around the Holidays.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 08:49 AM

While all of the earlier POSTS are accurate, I would sill consider HHI. You could ride bikes forever, enjoy the beach and still enjoy moderate weather.It's 45 minutes from Savannah, Beaufort and Parris Island. I think that off-season like this is a great time to get a feel for an area. I have also heard that the Savannah squares are beautiful over the Holidays.