Notices

Honeymoon in May 2006 - What do you think?

Old Oct 28th, 2005, 02:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon in May 2006 - What do you think?

Hi all,

Posted some time back a tentitive itin for our honeymoon in May 2006. Have researched some hotels and have planned it out as follows. Would be very grateful for your thoughts on -
a) The amount of time in each place?
b) The amount of driving time - realistic?
c) The accomadations?

Here is the itin staring May 1-
Arrive into Las Vegas - 3 nights at Bellagio.

Drive to Grand Canyon 2 nights Yavapai East Lodge.

Drive Monument Valley - 2 nights Gouldings Trading Postand Lodge.

Drive back to Las Vegas via Hover Dam - Stay one night Bellagio.

Fly next morning to San Francisco - stay 5 nights Four Seasons.

Drive to Nappa Valley - Stay 1 night River Terrace Inn.

Drive Yosemite - Stay two nights Yosemite View Lodge.

Drive back to San Fran - Fly to Hawaii - stay 7 nights Kauai Marriott Resort.

Fly back to San Francisco - drive to Carmel - stay 1 night Carmel Valley Ranch.

Drive Big Sur to Santa Barbara - stay 1 night Best Western Pepper Tree Inn.

Drive Las Angeles - stay 5 nights at Regent Beverly Wilshire.

I am hoping a good mix of Really good hotels and Lodges (national parks).

Have concerns about -

1) Back tracking from Monument Valley to Las Vegas and staying extra night there. Don't think any other option as don't want to be rushing back to Las Vegas to catch flight to San Francisco.

2) Is my Nappa Valley then on to Yosemite the best way to do this section of the trip?

3) Anybody any views on the Marriott in Kauai. Am looking for this section of the honeymoon to be the relaxing beach holiday part. IS Kauai the best island for this?

4) Is the drive to Carmel after flying from Kauai to San Francisco too much in one day?

I know long post, but your comments are very, very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Paul

Old Oct 28th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 08:20 AM
E

Paul, will you marry ME?
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 01:04 AM
Original Poster

Hi E, Are you rich?

You like the Itin then?

Anyone any other thoughts?
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 04:20 AM

I think you have a very busy honeymoon planned!!!

As far as Kauai, we are going as a family in April and staying at the Marriott so I can let you know how it is. I hear it is very nice. If it were my honeymoon, I might splurge for the Hyatt on Kauai. I have not been, but understand it is very beautiful. Kauai is supposed to be the most relaxing and the most beautiful island. I hope so!
Good luck with your plans. We were in SF last spring and had a great time. You will get a lot of useful information here on the Fodors website. Good luck.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 04:56 AM
E

After sighing over this lovely trip of yours, I did come up with two substantive suggestions. Regarding your concern #4:
Ideally, you should take the coastal route, Rt. 1, from SF to Carmel, for the scenery, in daylight, of course. It's not the most direct route, and can take up to 4 hours depending on stops and traffic. So--only you can decide if you'll be up for that after your flight from Kauai. Plus, you will get gorgeous scenery the next day on the way to SB, so you could skip the coastal route to Carmel and just shoot straight there in 2 hours.

Regarding your lodging at the Grand Canyon, it would be better to stay on the rim. This map shows you the lodging options on the rim:
http://www.nps.gov/grca/grandcanyon/pdf/Village_Map.pdf
You just can't beat waking up in the morning and shuffling just a few steps over to see the sunrise. From Yavapai, you'd have to drive over.
(If they're booked up, check back often, they get lots of cancellations.)
Happy trails!
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

girlonthego Thanks - feed back on the Marriott would be much appreciated especially as you will be there just before we arrive.

E - The map is just what I need - thank you. Yavapai is the lodge that was on offer when we first started looking into the trip. But the map gives a good impression of where all the lodges are situated with regard to the rim.

We do like to stop and take in the views when driving on vacation, so your point about it taking 4 + hours after the flight from Kauai is good info. I think that we will take the direct route and enjoy the views on the way to Santa Barbara the next day when we are fresh. The direct route will give us time to appreciate Carmel anyway! Thanks for taking the time to post.

Old Nov 1st, 2005, 07:15 AM

I would take a night or two from your time in LA and add it to the drive from SF to LA. This is really some spectacular country you will be passing through and in May it should be gorgeous - not as much fog in summer, wildflowers should be quite plentiful, and then there is the coastline. You really don't want to rush this part of the trip. I would either spend an extra night in Carmel and/or a night in Big Sur or Cambria.

Also, for Carmel - based on location only, I would choose to stay along the coast in Carmel or Pacific Grove rather than out in Carmel Valley - just to be closer to the ocean. It is a personal preference though.

Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions J_Correa. You're not the first to recomend less time in LA.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 07:02 AM

Are you kidding? Do you have any idea how exhausted you will be after your wedding? And you want to spend you honeymoon in TEN different hotels? You want to unpack, and pack, and unpack, and pack...TEN TIMES? Plenty of these places are only a few hours apart.

Sorry for the yelling. I understand wanting to squeeze everything possible into a vacation when you visit a place far from home. So if you like road trips, here's my more constructive advice about your questions:
1) That is a very long drive. Why not skip Monument Valley and fly from the Grand Canyon airport (FLG) to San Francisco (SFO)? You would have to switch planes in Phoenix but it would save you a lot of desert driving time. And skipping one last night in Vegas might end up saving you some money.
2) Whatever extra travel time it take to get from Napa to Yosemite will be minor - mostly just getting out of Napa onto the freeway. But instead of spending just one night in Napa why not stay in San Francisco and hire a car to drive you to Napa, take you from winery to winery for tasting, and then return you safely back to your SF hotel?
3) the Kauai Marriott is just fine for sunny beaches, though generally south-side locations get a little more surf in the summer. Make sure to visit the gorgeous (but very wet) north shore.
4) the drive to Carmel from SFO isn't too much, but you could save yourself 50 miles and an hour plus by flying back to San Jose airport (SJC).
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 09:02 AM
droolpatrol

Wow -- I wish my honeymoon had been that long. I would drop all the Vegas and Arizona parts and leave that for another time. Concentrate on the California and Hawaii part, because you'll be moving in and out of hotels more than a Katrina evacuee. Honeymoons are for lingering a bit. I would add some nights to Napa (or consider Sonoma) county for the wine thing. You may be shortchanging Carmel and Santa Barbara by just staying one night in each. Since money doesn't seem to be an issue, there are some great inns in the Big Sur area, Post Ranch Inn comes to mind. Congratulations.

Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 09:02 AM
droolpatrol

Whoops, forgot to add stay at the Hyatt on Kauai