Search

KAUAI HONEYMOON!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2003, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KAUAI HONEYMOON!

After a fantastic 'budget' trip to Oahu, Maui and Big Island in 1999 we're planning to spend a more 'luxurious' 10day honeymoon in Kauai in early August 2003.

Our options are:
(1)10 nights in Kauai (5 in north of island, 5 in south of island)or
(2) 3 nights in Kona or Waikiki and then 7 nights in Kauai (4 in south of island and 3 in north.

**WHERE SHOULD WE STAY, CONDO OR RESORT?
The Hyatt in the south and Princeville in the north seem to be pretty popular but I don't think we could afford this for 10 nights - some rooms also don't seem to have a lanai. Does anyone know of any less expensive alternatives that are just as good (Condo or hotel/resort).

We would really like information to make our honeymoon really special!

Any other info on good Kona accommodation would also be useful.

Thanks

Old Feb 10th, 2003, 05:30 AM

We were just on Kauai this past October for our honeymoon - you're going to have a fantastic trip! We stayed at the Hyatt, and loved every minute of it. If you can swing it, I highly suggest it. All rooms have private balconies - not ocean views, but views of mountains, greenery, etc. The resort is spectacular, and service is outstanding.

Everyone I know that went there either stayed at the Hyatt or Princeville, but I've also heard that the Marriott was nice - not really sure where on the island it is though.

Old Feb 10th, 2003, 05:33 AM

wanted to add that there isn't a whole lot to do on Kauai, which is the reason we loved it there so much. However, since you'll most likely relax by the ocean or pool, we really wanted a nice resort. In contrast, when we stayed on Maui, we stayed at the Hyatt as well, which was still beautiful but not as nice as the one on Kauai, but we were traveling around the island more, so it really didn't matter that much.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Kal

"Isn't a whole lot to do on Kauai"?
I guess if it was your honeymoon, maybe there wasn't? ;-D

My old bones are still recovering from "doing nothing" for 18 days this past Dec/Jan on Kauai.

For a honeymoon in August, I'd book the P'ville Resort for the whole trip although 5/5 isn't too tuff to do.
You're least likely to get a lot of rain on the NoShore during the summer.
Be warned I used the term "least likely" becuase it is called, afterall, "The Garden Isle" for a reason...rain and sun on any given moment. Ask convertibile drivers!

A lot of nice condos in both areas but the Hyatt and Pville Resort are very nice too.

Congrats on the pending nuptials.
Our 1st trip to Kauai was for our 10th anniv. in '89 and we've been going back ever since. Kinda boring with nuthin' to do there, huh?
319 mo' days.
Kal
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Kal,
Sounds like you had a great (and very busy!) time on Kauai. Can you suggest which are the best things to do/sights to see. While we would like to spend some days relaxing by the beach/pool, we would also like to get a real taste of the island.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 12:59 PM
Kal

Aloha tojo,

I'd immediately recommend a helicopter ride followed by hiking, then an ATV tour and maybe a paddle up the Hanalei or Wailua Rivers.....And eating!!!
If you golf, some very nice courses too.

As for hanging out at beaches, you'll pretty much have free reign on all of the Kauaian beaches in August because they should all be swimable. (We always go during the winter months so the NoShore beaches are closed at times due to hi surf advisories).
Anini is one of my faves. But nothing beats a sunset from Polihale.
Remember, tho, never swim alone, never turn your back on the ocean and always watch the local TV and listen to the local radio channels for any type of ocean/surf/weather warnings.
Oh and of course, use nothing lower than a #30 SPF sunscreen. (Especially on a honeymoon ;-D)

Try typing "Kauai" or "Kauai Trip Reports" or even "Kal" in the "text search" box and if it's working you'll get tons of other very good suggestions.

Mucho mahalos,
Kal