Reload this Page >

Last Minute Kauai Hotel Switch--HELP!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 10:32 AM
amy

We are going on our honeymoon at the end of august and are booked at the Hyatt in Kauai...We were informed that they will be doing some construction at this time and we want to know if we should stay (b/c the construction can't possibly ruin our honeymoon), or switch to the Princeville. We were concerned about the weather at the Princeville though....HELPP!!!!!!!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 10:56 AM
xxx

This summer the islands are expecting an increased chance of tropical storms and hurricanes, hardly think a switch of location will keep you from this. el nino is in town and they have been predicting this since early May. For the past two decades that have experience severe storms and hurricanes nothing to do with why it is there now just think it is curious. 1992 Iniki, 1982 another severe damaging storm.

El Nino aside, in August I think you would be foolish not stay in Princeville. This area of the island is why people know about Kauai. Any idealic photo is taken here. Best snorkeling, hiking, sailing is here. You have more commercial operations in the west but the prime locations are on the N.S. Hyatt is nice and you are closer to the canyon. Those sunny skys to create a lot of dry brown landscape and it is not so beautiful IMHO.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 10:58 AM
xxx

Did not mean to imply that they have been expecting or experiencing hurricanes and tropical storms for entire two decades, just years 92 and 82

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 11:13 AM
darlene

Agree with Princeville Resort over Hyatt. Enjoyed a wonderful romantic week at both, and Princeville was superior for snokeling, food, setting and accomodations.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 11:45 AM

Hello! and congrats on your upcoming nuptials. I stayed at the Princeville for my honeymoon. (we stayed in a junior suite...highly recommend it) and absolutely loved everything about it. Very romantic and fun at the same time. We're planning to go back for our 5 year anniversary!!!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 01:33 PM
amy

Amy,

Not to confuse you ... but I must put in my vote for staying at the Hyatt. My husband and I stayed there on our honeymoon and it was absolutely magical! One of the neatest places we've ever stayed (which included several Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, etc.)

Do you know what the extent of the construction is? The resort is so large and spread out, that I doubt it will overtake the whole resort.

If you do stay there, be sure to pamper yourself at their Anara Spa. It was wonderful. There is nothing like showering outside under a lava rock shower after you've just had an hour massage.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding and best of luck.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:49 PM
Sue

Why not split your time between the Hyatt and the Princeville? Just a thought. We are doing just that is two weeks. Enjoy!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 05:28 AM
jcb

Amy -

We were at both the Hyatt & Princeville two weeks ago for our honeymoon. We greatly preferred the Princeville. It was much more romantic than the child filled Hyatt. Also, the rain in no way hampered our activities (hiking, swiming, etc.), and it also rained at the Hyatt on our last day. Best wishes!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:29 AM
billybob

If you do an archive search here on Fodors you'll find many people with bad experiences at the Hyatt Kauai. Some people say it is overrated even under the best of conditions.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 09:21 AM
xxx

yes billybob but I think those people were expecting the four seasons. I have visited many times and I think if you select a garden room you are getting what you pay for.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 04:35 AM
xxx

Easy answer - go to the Princeville.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 08:07 AM
JHS

I've been to Kauai three times and always stay at the Hyatt. We love it! The pool is amazing and the grounds are spectacular. The beach is rocky but beautiful with many scenic vistas within strolling range. Fine dining is minutes away at Roy's and the Beach House and dining at the hotel is another option.

The service there is good, not FS, but it depends on how much pampering you prefer. I'm a fairly low maintanance as is my wife. We never felt neglected.

I can say with certainty that I have never once felt the least bit crowded there. The pool area is enormous and its easy to find a spot with privacy.

I have visited the Princeville but not stayed there. I was not impressed with their pool but the views are incredible. It is a much prettier part of the island but it rains a lot... an awful lot. It also felt a bit pretentious.

We stay at the Hyatt and go north in a convertible to view the waterfalls and snorkle at Kee'ee (spelling?).

You probably can't go wrong with either (unless the Hyatt is being gutted). Just a matter of preference and personal tastes.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 09:17 PM
Asian-American

We've stayed at both and enjoyed the Princeville more. Both the hotel itself and the surrounding scenery are nicer. The north side is lush while around the Hyatt is too dry.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 09:19 PM
Diane

Much preferred my room at the Princeville Resort over the Hyatt, although I thought the spa at the Hyatt was better than the spa at the Princeville. Personally, I would avoid a hotel going through construction.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 05:05 AM
xxx

Something very helpful I found is that the Kauai Sheraton list the dates that they are hosting conferences. I would avoid the hotel on these dates if it were my honeymoon. This hotel works fine when it is at full capacity but something about events planned in public areas of the hotel (as I would expect at any convention or conference) might be off putting.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 05:18 AM
xxx

For Hyatt you can ask central reservations I suggest you call front desk and ask them if there will be conferences/groups in and if there will be organized events in public areas of the hotel. If anything this will sway managers from planning events like this.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 11:43 AM
Tammy

Princeville, hands down. My parents spent 10 days in Kauai in May. During this time they did experience some El nino like storms. However the rain that did come often was more severe in the south and western parts of the island. They loved the north shore, it is what Kauai is all about. The rain came mostly at night and did not interfere with their day activities. They stayed at the hanalei Bay Resort but visited the Princeville when they had the Friday night seafood buffet-very good!
Have fun!

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 05:50 AM
John

Just returned from a vacation at the Hyatt last week with my wife. Although I can't speak for the Princeville as I have not stayed there, I can tell you the Hyatt was amazing. I was a little hesitant after reading some of the posts in the rants and raves, but had none of the problems mentioned. Very clean room, great service and food. Open areas by the pool and beach- just a great time. Stayed at the Kea Lani aftwerwards and though the Hyatt was not as luxurious, we had just as much fun at the Hyatt and would definitely return.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:46 AM
katie

Definitely stay on the southern side. I think the Poipu side is the best side of the island. The north side is beautiful, but more of a place you would want to visit on day trips. You can't go wrong with the Poipu area - the weather is much better. Have you considered a condo at all? We stayed at the Poipu Kapili - it was a beautiful condo on the ocean, and right next to the Sheraton, where there is a great beach. It was nice because it is so much bigger than a hotel room, and it was so nice.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:56 AM
mem

princeville all the way

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -