Saratoga, NY. worth a glance?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I am staying elsewhere, I am wondering if a few hours looking through Saratoga or Saratoga Springs is worth it. I'll be there at the start of the racing season, so I know there will be traffic. Its not like I don't get to see Victorians elsewhere (Ferndale, Ca.) but if Saratoga is especially charming, let me know.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Sorry this is a near duplicate. My Fodor search didn't come up with my question so I repeated it. Thanks for the previous responses; more welcome!
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 04:00 PM

Saratoga (one in the same as Saratoga Springs) is a pretty little town with a walkable downtown area with lots of quaint shops and restaurants. I live about 45 minutes from there and we often go to wander. Depending on when you are there, Saratoga is the summer home of both the NYC Ballet and the Philadelphia Orchestra and of course, the track.

How far are you staying from there?

ah
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 04:29 PM

The search feature doesn't always work but you can pull up anything you've posted on by clicking on your name and the top of the screen.

I like Saratoga as a place to walk around for a couple of hours. I have done this several time on Sundays during race season and have never ever had a problem parking the car and walking around. SInce everyone is usually at the track, the main street is just pleasantgly busy. Nice shopping and restaurants.Also take a drive and walk through the state park and have some of the famous waters.
The only trouble spot I've encountered is driving past the performing arts center (SPAC) when a concert is happening that evening. That area gets really crowded for hours
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 06:20 PM

By all means, go to the track while you are there!
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 04:17 AM

I have been to Saratoga a couple of times and always found it interesting for an afternoon. Lots of Victorian architecture, fun places to eat, and plenty of shopping.

Walking around the park and taking the waters at the various springs is very interesting. Despite being located in a quite small space, each tastes different from the others. Be warned that a few are truly hideous!

I have stayed at the hotel in the state park (the Gideon something-or-other) and it is worth a stop in itself.