Sarasota lodging for good location

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2018, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

My husband and are planning two night in February to visit friends in Sarasota. We want to get our own place to stay but want to be in a good location for theater or concerts at night and sights during the day. I was told that to stay on one of the keys makes the commute to an evening show very difficult. True? We also want to visit our friends who are out in 'suburbs'. Is it possible for around $200 or less.
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've only stayed on Lida Key when there and didn't find it particularly difficult to commute to an evening show. There's a big bridge you drive over, it's not that long and the streets are pretty easy. Who told you that about the commute, and what was their logic? Maybe from some keys, but not that one, anyway, maybe it depends which one you are talking about. I don't know why it would be from Siesta Key, either, though, and it's fairly close to the Van Wezel performing arts center. My "shows" were just movies but they were in Sarasota proper (Burns Court), or just north of it, so that was even farther than some of the theaters/opera there from Lido Key.

If it's a commuting traffic issue, maybe I was just there at a time that wasn't a problem, which probably wasn't a regular work day.
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Thank you. That is good to know about the commute (not a problem). I am still looking for a specific suggestion if anyone has one.
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 07:43 AM

We have stayed here on Siesta Key and loved it. Going back on Friday for five nights.

https://www.tropicalbreezeresort.com/

It is a bit of a jam to get over the bridge during high traffic times but traffic all over the downtown area is a bit of a jam. Especially this time of year.
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 09:03 AM

I'm a Hyatt person and usually when going to the Asolo Theatre at Ringling we stay at Hyatt place, very near by on University. Last time, surprisingly the Hyatt Regency right downtown was actually cheaper, and of course, a bit nicer -- still close to Asolo, but more downtown near the other theaters, and nice views out over the bay. Money no object? I'd stay at the Ritz Carlton which is also right by the Hyatt. And the new Westin right there is opening soon or perhaps has now opened?

I would NOT stay on one of the keys if you're doing theatre at nights.