COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Santa Monica area Hotel?

Old Jun 10th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Santa Monica area Hotel?

Will be in California in July. Would like suggestions on places to stay for parents and 2 teens. Would prefer a one-BR suite or cottage.

Checked out the Georgian Hotel but that seems a bit on the pricey side at about $400/night.

Thoughts?
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 07:44 AM

We're talking next month, our High Season. We're also talking Santa Monica, one of the most popular tourist areas in the greater LA area. Suites or bungalows are going to cost you. The Fairmont Miramar has bungalows, but I'm seeing rates starting at $509 a night.

Look into the Cal-Mar Suites. I'm a bit shocked by the great reviews for the Shangri-La Hotel-- it's clean, but the rooms are old and worn and the beds are very uncomfortable-- but if you can deal with less-than-Ritz accommodations, the location is ideal. The Doubletree Guest Suites are another option, not too far from downtown SM-- but right by the freeway.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 09:13 AM

Which ever hotel you select, I think you will enjoy Santa Monica most if it is near the Third Street Promenade, which is a great pedestrian street and within walking distance of the Santa Monica Pier.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 10:09 AM

HI--we have stayed at the SM Doubletree twice and while the location *is* right at the highway entrance, it is also walking distance--there are sidewalks, to a lot of what you would want to see in SM. And then when you go elsewhere by car, getting on and off the highway is very convenient. Both times we went, we paid around 250 for their kind of 1 BR suite--it is an all suite hotel--that means a separate LR w/pull out couch and a BR w/either 1 King bed or 2 doubles w/1 bathroom for all to share. It is a nice place and the pool, though smallish, is on the 4th or 5th floor and has an ocean view.

Old Jun 10th, 2005, 12:05 PM

This may be way below what you are looking for, but the location might be nice for everyone. Have a great time!

http://www.baysidehotel.com/information.htm
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 10:56 PM

I stayed at the Fairmont once in Santa Monica and really enjoyed my stay. It has gotten a bit expenive, after the ownership was changed, but has nice facilities. I'm pretty sure they got cottages that can fit 4 people.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 08:07 PM

We are staying at the Hotel Oceana, which is near the beach and has suites. Check out the website