Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Santa Barbara - need lodging advice please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 07:51 AM
Ade

We're spending a long weekend in Santa Barbara and need to decide where to stay. We like to venture out in the evenings so prefer to stay in town near all of the restaurants, etc. We also prefer hotels to B&Bs. Any recommendations on a hotel in town? I thought about El Encanto, but I believe it is near the mission and not walking distance to the restaurants, etc. I don't mind splurging on a nice place if it is worth the $$. Those who stay at the beach, do you walk at night to and from town? I am wondering if it is safe.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Merilee

I always liked the Montecito Inn which is about 2 blocks to the ocean. There's a rumor that Charlie Chaplin had the place built as a celebrity hideaway. This hotel has an onsite restaurant and is right near many lovely shops and cafes. Another good choice is the Fess Parker Resort, but it's about a 10 minute ride to the mission, etc. I'm sure both places have websites.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Linda

This may not appeal to you since you're willing to spend bigger bucks, but location wise we were so pleased with the Holiday Inn Express. It is close to State Street ( 1/4 block off on a quiet side street)which is the happening area with all the restaurants and nightlife as well as very close to the pier. The room itself was very clean and had a coffee maker, ironing board, hairdryer, etc. The hotel appears to be a bit newer than many and was very clean. Nothing luxurious, but a superb location for walking day and night.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 09:43 AM
xx

We enjoyed the HarborView hotel. It is right across the street from the ocean and pier,nice rooms and pool, and can walk to alot of restaurants.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 04:25 AM
BJ

We've stayed a couple of times at the West Beach Inn, just across the street from the Santa Barbara yacht harbor and the beach. Lots of wonderful restaurants within easy walking distance. Lovely pool area. Friendly staff, pleasant rooms (especially those with a view of the ocean). I think there is even a shuttle bus stop near Inn for destinations in town. Lovely city.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Lindsey

We stayed at the Fess Parker Doubletree. Were able to get reservastions through Priceline for $100/night. Then upgraded to suite when we got there for an extra $50 per night. Nice room. More motel than hotel in terms of being spread out. Across from park along beach. Walking distance to beach activites. I think walk to downtown is too far. Enjoy.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 12:16 PM
carolyn

Ade,
We just went to SB for the first time in 15 years on Labor Day weekend. There are 2 areas to concentrate on:

Downtown-Great walking area, many shops and restaurants. Only 2 hotels, neither one is especially attractive. You can easily walk here from the wharf or there is a 25 cent trolley that runs up and down State Street.

Wharf- Not much shopping, good walking area, few good restaurants. Better place to stay. Stay within walking distance of the marina and wharf. There are so many hotels and B&Bs that I would not worry about an advance reservation. We got there on Friday before Labor Day weekend at 5 PM and had limitless choices of places to stay without a resv. We found a great room in less than 20 minutes.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 07:11 PM
Coco

Ade,
Last year we spent some time at "Fess Parker's Hotel" right across the street from the beach. Beautiful walkway, lawn and palm trees to view. It is a rather large, spread-out hotel. Rooms very nice and we enjoyed our stay there w/o any problems.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 07:48 PM
Linda

We love both the Montecito Inn and also the Franciscan Inn. Franciscan Inn is much less expensive but both are older, very clean and have a charm about them. Both serve continental breakfasts and are within walking distance of the beach. Franciscan Inn doesn't ever advertise -- word of mouth keeps it VERY busy. It is near the wharf. Montecito Inn is in Montecito proper. Can't go wrong with either place!!

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 10:00 PM
Janice

There is a Holiday Inn Express directly off of State Street. It is newer and very clean and a great location. I don't recall the price but it was reasonable and a short walk to all of the shops, restaurants and the SB pier. I'd highly recommend the location. The hotel itself is very clean but nothing real fancy. I believe it included a continental breakfast though. We have reservations to return there next Spring. Have fun.