Another Santa Barbara hotel question

Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Another Santa Barbara hotel question

I'm looking at three days encompassing part of Memorial Day weekend, which makes pricing difficult to begin with.

Looking at Spanish Garden (inland a bit), Harbor View Inn, and Inn by the Harbor. The third one has the best rates, yet I can't find any mention of it on here.

Pictures are so deceptive. I really hate staying in a place that's overdue for an update or redecorating.

We don't have to be on the water, but ease of getting there would be nice.
Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 09:26 PM

Hi,

We stayed at the Inn at East Beach a couple of years ago and had a great time. They are super nice, and the rooms were small but nice. I think they've been remodeled since, so they are probably even nicer now. The Inn is across the street from the beach, and walking distance to State Street (it is a bit of a walk, but a gorgeous one!). We also walked to the SB Zoo from the hotel. http://www.innateastbeach.com/index.php
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 08:24 AM

The Fess Parker Doubletree resort is nice. It is as close to the beach as you can be (i.e. across the street). Ask for an oceanfront room with a patio.
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 12:29 PM

Driven by and thought about it, but never stayed there. Looks OK from outside although nowhere near Fess Parker in location or reputation ...Pricey, yes, but still one of the best in SB.
East Beach Inn also looks good from the outside and a good location. Also stayed at both the Franciascan and Mason Beach Inn. They were OK and decent locations.
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I just looked at Inn at East Beach--much less than the others. After reading TripAdvisor, I crossed off Inn by the Harbor--lots of unkind words.

Still wavering, and will let DH look at websites. I like Inn at the Spanish Garden, but it's much more costly.
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 07:32 AM

Inn at the Spanish Garden is lovely - it's located on a residential street, and doesn't look like much from the outside, but inside, the rooms are gorgeous, and the lobby, gardens, and courtyard are fantastic - secluded, like a little hidden world.

Another option that I would recommend is the Upham Hotel. This is a historic inn - and claims to be the oldest continuously operating hotel in California. I live in Santa Barbara, and frequently have our guests stay there. The gardens are serene, with lots of little private sitting areas. The rooms and bungalows are lovely. The best part - the staff. Their customer service is first rate.

They are located on Sola Street - but only one block from State. The ocean is a mile away - easily reached via a 25 cent trolley ride. You would be close to shops, restaurants, theaters, bars - everything!

Visit my blog: cartas.typepad.com to see pics of Santa Barbara, and learn about the city's history, things to do, and local events.

Have a great trip!
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. DH offerred to spring for this portion of the trip, so we have booked Inn at the Spanish Garden 3 nights in May. I'll be sure to come back on here with report.

Will look at your blog.