Reload this Page >

Santa Barbara----Montecito Inn. ..or Inn at East Beach

Old Apr 21st, 2003, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Any preferences? Thanks
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 08:22 AM

I am not sure what you are lookin for in a hotel. here is what orbitz has to say about them, maybe that will help some.....

Located two blocks from pristine Butterfly Beach, the Montecito Inn was built in 1928 by silent screen legend Charlie Chaplin as a haven for tinsel town celebrities. Magnificently restored, the Inn's 60 guest rooms are enriched by French Provincial furnishings in soft floral cotton prints. Hand painted tiles adorn each bathroom. Seven one-bedroom Luxury Suites feature custom fireplaces and Italian marble bathrooms with Jacuzzi tubs. The Montecito Inn combines gracious Old World charm, classic Hollywood elegance and the utmost in modern comforts. (prices range from 1 to 2 hundred dollars right now)

The completely remodeled Inn at East Beach (formerly East Beach Lodge) is a sophisticated inn at the beach in the most desirable resort location, convenient to all Santa Barbara attractions. Guest comfort is the highest priority at the Inn. Each oversized room surrounding the intimate pool features 3 telephones, refrigerator, microwave, guest laundry and free local calls. Many rooms also have fireplaces. These features combine to make the Inn Santa Barbara's best value. (prices ranging from 90 to 100 dollars on orbitz now)

they have descriptions like these for all the hotels in the area, i used it once in the past, and i am hooked now. I hope this helps. have fun on you trip.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Can anyone else help?
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 01:43 PM

We are planning a trip and I can not decide either. It sounds like The Montecito looks good for historical value and location to downtown, but we really want to be on the water. This board seems to like The Oceania. The website look pretty good, but we are looking at the Harbor or Yacht Club also. This months Sunset magazine has an article on Santa Barbara.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 01:52 PM

I'm also planning a trip to Cal. and will be spending several days in teh Santa Barbara area. I still haven't decided on where to stay. A book I have "Best Places Southern California" seems to like the Montecito Inn, but it also mentions a few minuses. For instance, it's right on the main drag, so you hear traffic PLUS a nearby train runs by. The rooms are sort of feminine (or so the book says). The pool area also suffers from traffic noise. The bathrooms are small. But overall, the author says it's a nice place.

Personally, I'm thinking of staying in Ojai, which is only about 15 miles away.

They do seem to be having specials for rooms if you go directly to the hotel websites. I think the Montecito had a $109 special rate through the end of May.

Good luck, and have fun.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 02:08 PM

The Montecito Inn is near the Santa Barbara Biltmore Hotel and is not particularly near the water, though it is within walking distance to a small but nice beach. This beach is different from the large main beach of Santa Barbara. The Inn does not have any "grounds", it's more of a place to spend the night and perhaps eat than a place you would want to hang around during the day. I have not stayed there (though friends have) but from the outside it appears to be fairly upscale and tasteful. You will need transportation to get into downtown Santa Barbara, to most sightseeing attractions, and to get to some of Montecito's shops and restaurants. But there are some shops and restaurants right outside your door. The Inn is near the train tracks. There are not many trains per day but if you are a light sleeper you might be woken at night once or maybe twice by the whistle. All in all, it appears to be a fine place to stay if you don't mind the lack of resort amenities and you don't care if downtown Santa Barbara is within walking distance.

I don't know anything about the other hotel. It sounds like it might have a more convenient location, however.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 05:44 PM

Harbor View Inn is the place to stay in Santa Barbara!

Montecito is about 10 minutes south and more quiet, with a few restaurants nearby. If you do not stay at the Montecito Inn, have lunch there, terrific cafe.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 09:15 AM

Tell me more about Harborview!!!I am almost sold from the website...
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 07:18 AM

I've eaten at the Montecito Inn several times - and stayed their once. If you can stay at one of the deluxe rooms its definitely worth it - mine had a fireplace, jacuzzi tub, and was absolutely silent at night.

The restaurant, has to be the most reasonably priced restaurant I've ever been at in California (great food, most at under 15 dollars).

It was only a few minutes from downtown by car - if you care about travelling to downtown, I don't think you can go wrong at any hotel in the area...