Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Santa Barbara & Vicinity--does cheap lodging exist?

Old Aug 5th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

We're headed to Santa Barbara for a wedding in mid-September. While the wedding party has reserved a block of rooms for the wedding downton, we were hoping to stay elsewhere (within 30 minute drive) to save some money and to be able to stay two nights, instead of one. I know Priceline no longer does Santa Barbara and Hotwire came up with $169 cheapest!! Also, I think the weekend I need is UCSB move-in, so all the cheaper hotels downtown are booked!

Anything no-frills for less than $100 within a 30 minute drive to downtown SB?

Thanks so much!

Old Aug 5th, 2004, 12:13 PM

When all else fails, try the AAA book that covers the area...
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 12:30 PM

I would try Carpinteria, but September in that area will probably still be a challenge. Mind if I ask what your dates are?
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies!

The dates are Sept. 17, 18. The rooms blocked for the wedding are at the BW Carpinteria for $140/night. I was just hoping for a B&B simple queen room or simple chain motel for less than $100.

Thanks for any input!
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 12:47 PM

Oops, cut myself off -- meant to add that if it's the weekend of the 12th or 17th, the Holiday Inn Express in Carpinteria has rooms available for $114 and possibly less. It's a lot for this hotel, but given Sept is still a popular month for visitors, this could be an option if the dates work for you...
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 01:03 PM

I've never stayed at either, but both Motel 6 hotels in Carpenteria have rooms for $70. I've also been looking for a room (although in August), so I'm in SB mode! Good luck, hope you find something!
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

jv827...Thanks so much for putting some thought into my question! In my searching, I checked out BandB.com for some gorgeous Santa Barbara B&B's, but they were all booked for my dates...you might want to give that a shot for your August visit.

I just looked on Orbitz and saw the Motel 6 you're talking about in N. Carpenteria...booked it for $63 per night--2 nights! Woo-hoo! That even leaves money for a wedding gift--the bride will be glad!

(I'm not sure why there weren't any cheap hotels that came up for Travelocity, but Orbitz was the ticket!)

Thanks again!
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 01:49 PM

Great, looks like you got the same rate as on the hotel website! I love Santa Barbara -- have a great time!
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 03:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your best bet is to get an entertainment card and book the Holiday Inn Express Carpinteria at $55 per night, includes breakfast (great cinnamon rolls!)

You can book now at hiexpress.com and choose "entertainment" as your rate request.

Then, you can purchase an entertainment card at entertainment.com, you'll need to show it at the hotel.
The card can be used for a year, for discounts at hotels all over the country. And if the card you by is based in your local hometown, you will also be able to use the restaurant discounts in your area. Or, on Ebay you can buy an October-expiring entertainment card for about 5 bucks, sold by someone who is no longer using it.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 03:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
P.S. .....I meant to point out that the hi-express (the former Comfort Suites) is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than the dumpy Motel 6 North Carp. Might be a hassle to get hold of an entertainment card membership but believe me, you'll thank me when you drive by the M-6!
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Clark...great catch! I checked out the Hi-Express you suggested and indeed the $55 rate came up with the Entertainment Card Rate. Plus, I looked on the entertainment.com and saw my local book for $25. So, for two nights at $55 + $25, that's only $3 more per night than I would spend at the "dumpy" Motel 6 (and hey, cinnamon rolls!)

So now, two questions about the Entertainment Book:

1) If I buy my local (East Bay, CA) book from Entertainment.com, does it come with the so-called "card" that will work in Carpenteria? (i.e. or do I need to get the Santa Barbara area book?)

2) I guess I need to buy the 2004 book, right?

Thanks for the great suggestion!