Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Santa Barbara - hotel selection/price difficulty

Old Feb 26th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to stay 2 or 3 days in SB in early April but we are having difficulty in finding a suitable hotel. Or to put it another way, the sort of hotel we would like to stay in seems considerably overpriced in Santa Barbara. We are booked into the Peninsula in Beverly Hills for the following week and we are paying considerably less than what places like Four Seasons or San Ysidro in SB are charging.

As a foreigner, my local knowledge is limited, but am I missing an obvious point here? What's the deal? Is it worthwhile contacting these places and haggling?
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 05:32 AM

You've certainly set your dights on the finest properties in town!

Both of the properties you have selected are in Montecito proper, not Santa Barbara and there IS a differentce in price. In my experience, they will run specials every so often but do not haggle. You may have success at lower rates if your stay is Sun-Thurs, if you call close to your requested dates and they still have rooms to book.

You may wish to try the newly remodeled Canary Hotel iin Santa Barbara or The Simpson House Inn... they typically run under $500 per night and are very nice properties.

The simple deal is that lodging in the area is expensive and they have people willing to pay those prices... enough to command a two night minimum, sometimes three on holiday weekends. At hotels like Canary or Inn of the Spanish Garden, or even Bacara (which is in Goleta, not Santa Barbara)they can be completely booked well in advance. I always call the property directly, even if online sites show them as being booked...sometimes they have had cancellations or are holding rooms back.

If you have other specific questions about locations or specific properties, I'll try to help.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 05:39 AM

One more thing... The Upham Hotel on Delavina often offers specials, even on the weekend if they are not booked. The hotel is older, the regular rooms are small but the larger suites with jacuzzi tubs and fireplace may serve you well, the location is terrific and their restaurant, Louie's is fun, convenient and I've had a few nice dinners there!

Good luck!
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 06:37 AM

If you are willing to stay in Marina Del Rey (just south but not as opulent), you can get quality properties for $300ish/nt. The Ritz in MDR normally offers a bed, breakfast and valet parking for 300ish.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 06:43 AM

Instead of talking you down to MDR, I should add you can get the Leows Santa Monica Beach Hotel, Fairmont Santa Monica for 300ish too.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks onemoneygirl. Bacara looks nice. And Canary Hotel could be an option. But overall, prices in SB do seem about 15-25% higher than one would expect.

FrankS: it's really Santa Barbara that we are focused on. In LA we already have what seems a good deal from the Peninsula in Beverly Hills.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 09:25 AM

autodidact,

Bacara is a gorgeous property... I posted a review on here last year, I think.

If you want to be downtown within walking distance of the beach, shops and restaurants.. the Canary may be your best bet. I'm happy to answer more specific questions if you have them.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 10:11 AM

Wife and I love the San Ysidro Ranch Hotel in Montecito but it is pricey but an exquisite property.
We like to go for dinner and drinks at the Biltmore.
Bacara resort is nice but friends stayed last year and they felt the rooms had a musty moldy smell to them..maybe they have fixed that.
Canary Hotel was remodeled recently but for $300+ a night is still too steep for me there.
For a mid-range hotel that is new and nice and fairly cheap is the Hampton Inn Hotel in Santa Barbara..friends stayed there and loved it with the flat screen tv, great beds and linens and paid about $150 a night.
Ojai Resort and spa is another option..expedia had them for under $300 a night.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 10:38 AM

The Eagle Inn is reasonable and in a good location just a couple blocks from the beach.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 11:32 AM

In Santa Barbara, the Harbor View Inn is great. It sits right across from the ocean on Cabrillo Blvd and is across the street from Stearns Wharf which has a few restaurants, etc. Cabrillo Blvd is great to walk, rent bikes, etc. Book either room 325 or 225 which both have a fantastic view of the ocean and are large comfortable rooms. This property is very manicured and pretty and the pool area is nice as well. The rooms that I mentioned, I believe, are in the $300 range, but not sure. Certainly not as much as the properties that you mentioned.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 05:10 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"prices in SB do seem about 15-25% higher than one would expect."

SB/Montecito are very upscale areas and also very popular w/ CA natives as well as visitors. I don't know where you are from - but for comparison, I'm sure there are areas in your country that cost more than other places would for the same level of service/amenities.

Old Feb 26th, 2009, 06:26 PM

Santa Barbara Inn and Doubletree Fess Parker are right across from the ocean. Yous can walk to both wharves and along the oceanfront. Both hotels are clean and have attractive views.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 09:31 AM

We loved our stay at the Harbor View Inn, let me know if you have any specific questions about this property, we booked under a bed and breakfast package, our room had a balcony, oceanview and a king bed. You can walk right across the street to the ocean and Stearns Wharf from the Harbor View. ***kim***